Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Who else makes non k-cup tea using their Keurig? + tips

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Who else makes non k-cup tea using their Keurig? + tips

Postby aab1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:53 pm

I was wondering who else makes non k-cup tea using their Keurig brewer? 99% of what I make in my B70 is loose leaf tea or herbal tea using the my k-cup, I bought the machine specifically for this because it makes making tea so much simpler and faster than infusing manually (seconds rather than 2-5 minutes). I also make iced tea in summer by putting lots of ice cubes in the glass and selecting a smaller brew size (I don't have the model with the ice tea setting, I use the 7 or 9 oz setting depending on the size of my glass).

I also have a good tip on making good loose leaf tea using the my k-cup because using full leaf tea comes out very weak. What I do is I got a burr grinder to grind the tea leaves with a consistent grind fineness. When I get a can of loose leaf tea, I just pour it into the burr grinder, set it on the coarsest setting, and grind it all, then pour it back into it's original can. Then I simply use about 1 heaped teaspoon for a 7 oz cup or 2 teaspoons for a 11 oz cup.

I've also read of some users that use the Keurig just for hot water and then put tea bags in the cup. I sometimes buy tea in tea bags and when I do I always tear it open and pour it into the my k cup (it's already finely ground in tea bags), 1 bag for 7 oz or 2 bags for 11 oz. That way you have the tea done in seconds rather than minutes.

In either case the my k-cup can be cleaned in under 5 seconds simply by running water in it.
aab1

Postby jar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:11 pm

My Keurig is a great hot water dispenser, and yes, I use it to make tea. I don't use the My-Kcup though. Tea leaves in ball and ball in cup.

Works great with Ramen too.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby aab1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:25 pm

jar wrote:My Keurig is a great hot water dispenser, and yes, I use it to make tea. I don't use the My-Kcup though. Tea leaves in ball and ball in cup.

Works great with Ramen too.

Why don't you use the my k-cup? It goes much faster both to open/close and brew and cleans easier than a tea ball.
aab1

Postby jar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Because I do not like finings, and enjoy much longer steep times than can be achieved with the My-Kcup.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby aab1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:44 pm

jar wrote:Because I do not like finings, and enjoy much longer steep times than can be achieved with the My-Kcup.

What are finings? And I've found that grinding the tea first gives the same result as a longer steep time, with the my k-cup, a finer grind simulates a longer steep time but without requiring more time. For example using whole leaves in the my k-cup may be like a 15 second steep, a coarse grind may be like a 2 minute steep, and a fine grind can be like a 5-10 minute steep.
aab1

Postby jar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:35 pm

aab1 wrote:
jar wrote:Because I do not like finings, and enjoy much longer steep times than can be achieved with the My-Kcup.

What are finings? And I've found that grinding the tea first gives the same result as a longer steep time, with the my k-cup, a finer grind simulates a longer steep time but without requiring more time. For example using whole leaves in the my k-cup may be like a 15 second steep, a coarse grind may be like a 2 minute steep, and a fine grind can be like a 5-10 minute steep.

Finings are ground up tea leaves and dust.
jar

Postby NixieH » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 am

(Sorry for bringing up an old post but I haven't been here since mid-june.)

I use my Keurig for tea. Loose tea doesn't work well but for all those tea bags, I have kicking around it is great. (Ice tea too. I make it the same way as a poster above said.)
We got my daughter a Keurig for Christmas after she was using mine all of last Thanksgiving. She does not drink coffee but used hers in her dorm room for tea and hot chocolate. The KCups of tea don't steep long enough so she uses tea bags. My younger daughter (also a non coffee drinker) wants to get one for when she goes off to college in a few weeks too. Even my Dad who has barely figured out how to use a tea kettle on the stove uses Mom's Keurig to make himself tea with his tea bags.
NixieH

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines