Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Which pod brewer is the most durable?

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Which pod brewer is the most durable?

Postby isaacc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:53 am

Hello. I'm finishing up an 18 month vocational program and I'd like to buy my teachers a single-brew pod coffee maker as a thank you gift. I went straight to look at Keurig's offerings. After reading dozens and dozens of reviews, particularly at Keurig's own web site, it seems that one is lucky if any of these machines last out a year, and often only just a few months. So, I went looking at other brands and I see the same pattern.

Is there not a brand that is a durable machine for a population of about 10 people? The teachers have to pick up a half decent cup of coffee from blocks away so this would be a great gift, but not if the machine becomes a burden, with finicky behaviour, misbrewed coffee, and especially having to regularly spend hours on the telephone dealing with customer service.

I wouldn't mind spending $250 on a durable machine but from what I read, these higher priced models are no more durable. I thought I found the model with the Bunn MCP but it's $500; that's too expensive. I was thinking of a Tassimo because Bosch makes very high quality power tools, but Tassimo seems to be in decline and their pod choices are quite limited.

It seems like the whole pod world has gone with Keurig, but Keurig's machines seem to be the absolute worst ones, invariably breaking down at most within a year. "I'm on my 3rd Keurig," seems to be a common statement. Am I wrong?

Your advice is most welcome and appreciated.
isaacc

Re: Which pod brewer is the most durable?

Postby EricBNC » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:24 am

Welcome. Some places will allow only certain types of machines to be installed in order to comply with safety regulations. Contacting an established coffee service in your area might give some insight into what works best in a multi-user professional setting. Nice of you to want to say thanks with coffee though!
EricBNC

Postby jar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:11 am

If it is likely to be used in a school you will probably need for the brewer to be "commercial" rated.

I'd suggest looking for a Bunn MCP or a Grindmaster OPOD and Coffee Artisan has both listed on sale at $299.00. I'm on about year six for my OPOD.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:47 am

Welcome, Isaac! Note: the OPOD is unavailable through the Artisan right now due to manufacturing issues. How about a refurb Bunn MCP?
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby isaacc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks for the replies thus far.

So, if the GrindMaster OPOD is unavailable, what about the GPOD? I see that the GPOD has a 55 oz. water capacity (38 oz. water reservoir + 17 oz. hot water capacity).

I mean, does the fact that the GPOD is also sold by GrindMaster mean that it is as durable as the OPOD? I ask because I know that named brands are likely not the manufacturer, which is probably who knows what factory in China. Perhaps the GPOD comes from an entirely different factory.

Thanks for the tip on the refurbished Bunn MCP, but...hmmm...I don't know. Refurbished machines just makes me uncomfortable in a prejudiced sort of way.
isaacc

Postby jar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:21 pm

isaacc wrote:Thanks for the replies thus far.

So, if the GrindMaster OPOD is unavailable, what about the GPOD? I see that the GPOD has a 55 oz. water capacity (38 oz. water reservoir + 17 oz. hot water capacity).

I mean, does the fact that the GPOD is also sold by GrindMaster mean that it is as durable as the OPOD? I ask because I know that named brands are likely not the manufacturer, which is probably who knows what factory in China. Perhaps the GPOD comes from an entirely different factory.

Thanks for the tip on the refurbished Bunn MCP, but...hmmm...I don't know. Refurbished machines just makes me uncomfortable in a prejudiced sort of way.

I have no idea where the GPOD is made but I can't remember a thread here on a GPOD failure.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby EricBNC » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:56 pm

isaacc wrote:Thanks for the replies thus far.

I picked up one of these and it looks like new - not sure if they all do, but my experience was positive with a refurb from Baronet.
EricBNC

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines