Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Bunn My Cafe vs Keurig

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Bunn My Cafe vs Keurig

Postby Jennalynn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:40 pm

Okay... so I'm a 3 year owner of the Bunn My Cafe... but recently I've been thinking about switching to a Keurig.

Reasons? I like the variety of K cups, even though there are a lot of pods, the K's are still a little better. I also like the freshness of a sealed cup and not dealing with wet pods.

Any thoughts from you discerning people?

Also, while we're at it... Keurig B60 or B70... are they THAT different (besides the amount of water they hold). I know the B70 has more choices of cup size, but do you really use the very small and the very large?

Thanks!
Jennalynn

Postby jar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:44 pm

They are not mutually exclusive, you really can own both.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby VydorScope » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:58 pm

I own a pod machine and a Keurig... and I would say the Pod machine makes a better cup every time, given the same coffee/water/etc.
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby coffeelover » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:18 pm

I have both a Bunn and Keurig B60. I always had kcups at my office and pods at home, but used to prefer the pod coffee. However, once I found kcups that I loved, I switched to a B60 at home, too.

My Bunn had to be replaced under warranty a couple of times. I never had a problem with either of my b60's. Also, I find the keurig cleaner to use with company. I still have my replacement Bunn in a box, but for now it will stay there.
coffeelover

Postby starryeyes » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:30 pm

I have both and I get a better cup of coffee from my Bunn using good quality pods. I like my Keurig too but I really do feel pods are better than K-cups.
Bunn My Cafe Home, Nespresso Lattissima +, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II, Tassimo T46, Jura Micro Ena 9
Retired: Keurig B66, Nespresso Le Cube, Dolce Gusto Piccolo, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II (donating to my niece)
starryeyes

Postby Jennalynn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Interesting replies!

I've not had one technical problem with my Bunn. So that's not a factor for me.

And so far most of you think pods make better coffee.

I'm not one for keeping a lot of extra things around so having both isn't for me.

Much to ponder. Keep the opinions coming!

Jennifer
Jennalynn

Postby JEFFH » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:31 am

I have a Bunn my cafe and B70 and have used both for a couple of years.
I prefered the coffee from the Bunn more than the Keurig at first.
The Bunn brews at a higher temp and with Pulse brewing gets better extraction and a better tasting cup using less coffee than the Keurig does with Kcups. Pods cost less than Kcups and the selection of different types of pods greatly out number the selection of Kcups.
My wife really liked the Keurig. Its alittle cleaner with no pod wrapers to open or wet pods to dispose of. Drop in a Kcup and brew then toss used Kcup. Keurig is more convient but the downside is you are gererating more plastic waste using the Kcup system.
I would use the Bunn mostly and the wife would use the B70
The counter was crowded with two coffee machines and the Pod and Kcup storage was also taking up alot of space.
A few months ago I stopped buying pods. I started buying only extra bold Kcups and have been very happy with the coffee I get from the B70
I have 10 different types of extra bold Kcups that I enjoy to rotate thru
now.
once my stock of pods was gone I boxed the bunn up and put it away.
I plan to put it back in service in the future but for now will use the keurig.
I have had more problems with the Keurig than the Bunn.
I started with a B50 that would brew a short cup and then a very long cup.
took it back to costco and purchased a B70. It would come on by itself with the power switch off and brew the whole tank of water all over the counter. Keurig replaced that one. The next one developed an internal heater issue and would no longer heat the water. Keurig replaced that one a few months ago.
Coffee preference:
Dark Roasts--Splash of milk & Splenda
Med Roasts--Black

Machines:
Bunn my Cafe
Keruig B70
JEFFH

Postby rahl1972 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:21 am

I have both machines and really like both of them. I'm really surprised that I seem to be the only one that comments on how much splattering the Bunn does. As time has gone on..that one thing annoys me more and more. Also...you can use pods in the Keurig if you buy the pod holster. I use the holster all of the time. I have noticed that the coffee flows through rather slowly with the holster and you can sometimes get a pretty strong cup.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Breville One Touch tea maker
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
Breville Dual Boiler espresso machine
rahl1972

Postby jar » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:12 am

My problem is that I have never found a K-cup that I want, really want. I've found many that were pretty good but none that were outstanding. If I found a k-cup that gave me the WOW of Fratello's Sweet Blue or Misty Valley, or CA's 100% Kona or JBM, the k-cups would move back into the rotation. As things stand now though the Keurig has been relegated to hot water dispenser duties.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby VydorScope » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Each has its strengths. The Keurig can produce a decent cup of coffee, with the right K-Cup. It is faster, and more convenient ( I use it at my desk in my office where I do not have access to a sink/etc. With the addition of "MyKCup" and the Pod Slayer it can brew any coffee you want it too, Pod, K-Cup, or Grinds.

The POD machines like the OPOD and Bunn have the same flexibility on what they can brew (K-Cup, Pod, Grinds), but since they brew SLOWER by design. They do tend to produce a better cup using the same grinds./water. Clean up on them is not quite as nice as K-Cup but really not bad.

Variety is no longer an issue between them, so it really depends which is more important to you, the speed/clean up of the K-Cup or the final product of the Pod machines.

I think you can be happy with either. :)
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby JEFFH » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:26 am

rahl1972 wrote:I seem to be the only one that comments on how much splattering the Bunn does.

I have been using a Bunn My cafe for a couple years and have not had any problems of splattering.
Are you using a small cup and the coffee is splashing out?
We use large cups and have never seen the problem.
It does drip alittle after its done brewing and I have to clean the plastic drip tray out.
I actually get more splatter with the B70 and have to wipe down the machine more than I did the bunn.
Coffee preference:
Dark Roasts--Splash of milk & Splenda
Med Roasts--Black

Machines:
Bunn my Cafe
Keruig B70
JEFFH

Postby Jennalynn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:14 pm

After all your astute comments, I've decided to stick with my Bunn. I did see one of the very small "personal" Keurigs on the clearance rack at BB&B for $35... with my 20% off coupon it's almost nothing, so I may pick that up for the office.

As for the spattering comments on the Bunn... yes, it does "spit" a bit at the end of the cycle, but it doesn't spatter all over the counter, just a few stray drops on the back splash of the machine.

If you're having troubles, perhaps you have hard water and calcium has blocked some of the holes in the tray?
Jennalynn

Postby rahl1972 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:13 pm

We use larger mugs for the Bunn now. Most of the splattering comes at the end of the cycle and it does it mostly at the end of the cycle. A friend of mine just purchased a Bunn and made the same observation. She uses tall irish coffee mugs and it eliminates most of the problem. Another small complaint I have about the Bunn is that it isn't always consistent with shot size. I have read other comments from people on here and my friend has also noticed the same thing. It seems to do a short shot if it has been not used for a few days. The first shot is almost always short when you fire it back up. The rest after that are fine. When I fire it up...I brew a blank shot first to get rid of the shortened shot and all is well. The blank shot is also good for heating up the glass.

Now....if I was to really complain a lot about splattering....there is the Tassimo. :lol:
Last edited by rahl1972 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Breville One Touch tea maker
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
Breville Dual Boiler espresso machine
rahl1972

Postby jar » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:12 pm

A short first shot is pretty common to all machines that hold watter in a boiler. I always draw a water shot first in any machine if for no other reason than warming the cup, so I don't see that as a problem.
jar

Postby Jennalynn » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:42 am

Well, I entered a contest over at acsjava.com and I won a Keurig B40!

So now I can test it all out for free.

I'm very excited to get my new machine and in the spirit of the day I'm Thankful to ACS Java for running the contest.
Jennalynn

Next

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines