Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig b40 - not filling cup

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig b40 - not filling cup

Postby arg617 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Hello, glad I found this forum. We recently bought a Keurig B40 and have been using it for about a week. Recently, after switching to the re-usable K-cup, the machine stopped dispensing enough water to fill half a cup up......using the 9-1/4 ounce brew size.

Any ideas of what could be causing this to happen and how to fix it?

Thanks for any help.
arg617

Postby jbviau » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:58 pm

Did you buy it used? It might need to be descaled (see the manual). Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having.

p.s. Oh, and is it the My K-cup filter you're using, or some kind of cap to be placed on regular k-cups once you've brewed them and cleaned them out?
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby arg617 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:07 pm

We bought it new. From what I've been reading it sounds like it might have to be descaled, but it seems too soon to be needing that already. We've only gone through the sample K-cups. is it normal to need to be descaled after ~10 cups of coffee? Right after switching to the "My K-Cup" reusable filter it stopped filling cups.
arg617

Postby jbviau » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:41 pm

No, that's way too soon to need to descale. Do you have a little bottle brush or something similar (maybe even a toothpick)? You might try using one to remove anything that's blocking either the upper or the lower needle. There could be some loose coffee grounds stuck in there.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby ASFx » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:00 pm

It sounds like loose grounds are stuck inside the needle. One thing I noticed is that if you shut the lever down too fast, the K-Cups will have a mini explosion and shoot grounds out of the top (especially if they are puffed up and tighly filled). Always remember to push the lever down slowly as you piece the top of the K-Cup.
Current Gizmos:
Keurig B70
French Press
Aeropress
Aerolatte
Baratza Maestro & Hario Skerton Grinders
Mypressi TWIST
Nespresso CitiZ & Milk

Latest deals on single serve coffee & machines:
www.SingleServeCoffeeDeals.com
ASFx

Postby MichFan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Try running several cycles without a KCup in. Then try brewing a few regular KCups. If it gives you a full water drop, I'd guess it's not the brewer.

You mentioned a reusable KCup -- this may be the culprit. If you grind the coffee too fine and/or fill it too high, the pump won't be able to push the full volume of water through. From the information provided so far, this is my guess. Are you using a MyKCup or a 3rd party gadget?
MichFan

Postby rborelli » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 pm

ASFx wrote:It sounds like loose grounds are stuck inside the needle. One thing I noticed is that if you shut the lever down too fast, the K-Cups will have a mini explosion and shoot grounds out of the top (especially if they are puffed up and tighly filled). Always remember to push the lever down slowly as you piece the top of the K-Cup.

This was my issue.

I got a B70 for Christmas and the family loves it. It stays on 24/7 and we brew 6-10 cups a day. This morning I popped a K-cup in and just a few drips came out. WTF! it's only 2 weeks old. So I hop on the forum and find this post. It saved me!!! I took out the K-cup holder, found the longest needle I had and pushed it through the bottom needle hole. I could feel the pressure and the grounds came out. Ran a few water only cycles and tried a K-cup. Good as new!

As a side note we brew around 3 K-cups of tea and 2 cups with the pod holster a day. 2 weeks seems like a short time for the needle to get clogged up, but now I know how to handle it.

Bob
rborelli

Postby chico » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:30 am

arg617 wrote:We bought it new. From what I've been reading it sounds like it might have to be descaled, but it seems too soon to be needing that already. We've only gone through the sample K-cups. is it normal to need to be descaled after ~10 cups of coffee? Right after switching to the "My K-Cup" reusable filter it stopped filling cups.

Sept of '09 must have been the month of "de-scaling". That's what the cust serv rep told me about mine.

Read my latest post...Keurig Sucks

don't give these guys any more money. Actually don't give Green Mountain (the real owners of Keurig) any more money. Life is too precious to live it without a good cup of coffee...I've been going to Starbucks for the last two months for my coffee because my keurig is whacked AGAIN. And for the record, this is my FOURTH keurig brewer...been replaced three times
chico

Postby jar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:58 pm

chico wrote: And for the record, this is my FOURTH keurig brewer...been replaced three times

You have a learning disability Chico?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby chico » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:34 pm

jar wrote:
chico wrote: And for the record, this is my FOURTH keurig brewer...been replaced three times

Hmm...that's nice. now start jabbing at me personally?
chico

Postby jar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:29 pm

chico wrote:
jar wrote:

No jab, just it looks like you are unlucky when it comes to K-Cup type machines. I'd think after awhile you'd just learn and move on.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby chico » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:44 am

jar wrote:
chico wrote:
jar wrote:

No jab, just it looks like you are unlucky when it comes to K-Cup type machines. I'd think after awhile you'd just learn and move on.

phew... :-)

moving on...thanks...
chico

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines