Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Good Bye Tassimo and welcome K-cup!

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Good Bye Tassimo and welcome K-cup!

Postby a3dstorm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:09 am

After 3 years of drinking average tasting coffee in my Tassimo machine I was ready for a change. It came to me when I saw the Breville BCK600 XL in a store, what a beautiful piece of equipment! I just had to have one. I've had mine for 3 days now and boy I am a happy coffee drinker now!

So far I have tried 6 different samples that came with the machine and I'm totally impressed! All of them taste better than any coffee that was available here in Canada for my Tassimo.

Now I have a question for you guys. I enjoy mild coffees because I drink 'em by the bucket. One of my favorites is Tim Horton's and I'm happy to have the MY K-cup thingy to be able to enjoy a cup of Tim every now and then but, since it would be much more convenient to have a similar tasting coffee in a regular k-cup, my quest is on. I'd say the Green Mountain Nantucket is the closest so far, but I've only sampled 6 different varieties so far. I wish there was a way to try different blends without having to go through loads of boxes of 18-24 coffees that I probably would not enjoy very much until I happen upon what I'm looking for.
So, If any of you guys ever had Tim Horton's.
Which coffee in an available k-cups you'd say is the closest in taste ?

I think I need to try Coffee people's Donut Shop for sure.
That probably is what I'm looking for, but it's not readily available in Canada and before I can place an order with CoffeeWhiz, I'd like to find at least 4 different coffees that I'd think would be close to Tim Horton's.

Any suggestions ?

Rick
Thank you in advance.
a3dstorm

Postby toj » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:18 am

If you say you enjoy mild coffees and enjoy the Nantucket isn't that a medium blend? Do you put it on the biggest drop setting for the milder taste or which one? I don't know what Tim Horton coffee tastes like but if you say Nantucket is the closest, the Coffee People coffee doesn't taste at all like the Nantucket to me...it is bolder and a lot stronger than the Nantucket to me. You may want to try the National Wildlife Blend from GM, it is along the like of the Nantucket and the Lake & Lodge coffee sounds like it is a stronger version of the Nantucket but I've never tried it.

I have grown to like the Green Mountain Sumantran Reserve of late...it is strong enough for the people around me who like strong coffee and smooth enough on the 9oz setting to have a kick and hold up well to having creme added. Caribou Coffee Caribou Blend is overall probably my favorite stronger coffee.
toj

Postby a3dstorm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:55 am

I tried the GM Nantucket at 7.25oz and it was pretty close to what I'm used to maybe a tad weaker than Tim Horton's but overall pretty close. If CP Donut shop is a little stronger but not too much i'd probably like it. I tried GM breakfast and Caribou Breakfast both are kinda tasteless to me but, Timothy's breakfast is a little too strong but maybe strong to me is the little Espresso sweetness, I really don't like that taste like in the Tully's Kona blend there's a little of that taste in Timothy's breakfast blend and to me when I say strong, I mean espresso taste, I really can't stand that particular taste. Sorry for not being able to explain better, I'm french ;-)
a3dstorm

Postby toj » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 pm

You can always try the Nantucket on the 5.25 setting to make it stronger if that taste matches it close enough. The Coffee People Donut Shop coffee is a little stronger and has more of an aftertaste than with most coffees I've tried. It is a favorite for a a lot of people though.

I agree with you on the Tully's Kona, it didn't impress me much. Tully's has two others that I really like: Evergreen and Full City Blends, both of which I like better than Donut Shop. The only breakfast coffee I like is Diedrich Morning Edition....the other breakfast blends are too mild for my taste. With that one, if you like it black you can't taste anything in it, but with a little creme and sugar there is just a hint of vanilla.
toj

Postby corpcon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:18 am

If you find anything else close to Tim's please post it. Today is my first day using SSC.
corpcon

Postby jar » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Try the Newman's Own Special Blend Extra Bold.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby stressman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:19 am

As a Canadian with kids in hockey, I'm as close to an expert in Tim Horton's coffee as it gets (well, I'm at least in a class with a couple of million other people...). Anyway, Newman's Own isn't much like Tim Hortons, but it is an excellent coffee. Certainly one worth trying.

I think you will find as you try all the different coffees that one of the best things about the Keurig is your ability to have a different type of coffee whenever you feel like it. I like Tim Hortons, but I rarely go anymore because its easier to grab one from the Keurig on the way out the door - not to mention cheaper. Think about other store coffees that you may have had - Timothy's, Starbucks, Second Cup, etc and think about what you may like. Then jump over to coffeewhiz.com or bettercoffee.com or any of the other vendors and pick a bunch. If you like the strength of Tim Hortons, think of trying some of the Kona blends or Breakfast blends.

If you can't wait, run in to your local Timothy's location and grab a few different boxes to try. Although its kinda sad because the same box of Timothy's coffee is cheaper to buy online and have shipped to you, than it is to buy in the store around the corner.

Post here what you like and what you don't like and I'm sure you'll receive a ton of recommendations based on that.

jar wrote:Try the Newman's Own Special Blend Extra Bold.
stressman

Tim Horton's K-Cup Coffee

Postby msu1972 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:50 am

Want Tim Horton's coffee in your Keurig (K-Cup) - easy - Go To my-kap.com for a great cup of Tim's!
msu1972

Postby jbviau » Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 am

I haven't had Tim Horton's, but here's a k-cup to try if you like "donut shop" coffee: Green Mountain's Our Blend. My wife loves coffee from Dunkin' Donuts, and she loves Our Blend too. She prefers it over the Coffee People Donut Shop.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby corpcon » Tue May 26, 2009 12:01 pm

I see this thread has resurfaced since I first started using the Keurig. So I thought I would post an update with regard to my quest of finding something like Tim Horton's coffee.

My conclusion ... I've found better! In following these forums, it's really evident that peoples' tastes vary immensely, so speaking personally, I have found the following to be similar in taste but more enjoyable than Tim's ...

(9.25oz setting for most)
GM Breakfast Blend
GM Nantucket (7.25oz setting - even then it may be a tad weak)
Newman's Special Blend Decaf
Timothy's Columbian Decaf
I prefer the taste of some of the decaf's over their regular counterpart - which is good for me since I can't have too much caffeine.

There are other's I enjoy, but the above are the closest I have found to Tim Horton's coffee. Variety is the beauty of it all.

Also, for those that like to try other coffees (who doesn't), Tweed & Hickory (Canada) now have build-your-own trial packs (although they have a limited selection of brands). Just a personal tip ... I find you need to go a cup size smaller on the Van Hotute coffees - making their value not really worth the effort, unless you absolutely love any of them.
Keurig B70
corpcon

Postby starryeyes » Tue May 26, 2009 1:50 pm

I think most of the K-cups are meant to be enjoyed at the 7.25 cup size. Maybe some of the Extra Bolds are fine on the 9.25 but for myself not many. I guess I'm opposite from you. I generally find the GM coffees especially the med and light roast weaker than the VH. It always comes down to preference, I guess.
Last edited by starryeyes on Tue May 26, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bunn My Cafe Home, Nespresso Lattissima +, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II, Tassimo T46, Jura Micro Ena 9
Retired: Keurig B66, Nespresso Le Cube, Dolce Gusto Piccolo, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II (donating to my niece)
starryeyes

my-Kap

Postby msu1972 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:19 pm

I gave a suggestion to use my-kap.com for Tim Horton's blend. You simply won't believe how well these devices work to reuse some of your k-cups for your own coffee and blends. They work fabulous - and - if you grind a fill a number of them - keep them in a plastic tub - they are ready for use. My kids gave me a great Hondurus blend when they were down there and I won't have to waste my beans ($60.00) worth by using my-cap(s). I grind and fill several and use them as my house blend coffee.
Try these - you'll love them...buy several when you order - or you will have to reorder. That's how sure I am you'll like them. [No connection to the company - just a very satisfied customer.
msu1972

Postby corpcon » Tue May 26, 2009 2:21 pm

The previous was meant to be a close match to Tim Horton's both in taste and strength. The 9.25oz seemed to be the most accurate for strength, in most cases.

For me, I generally have to use the 11.25oz setting for the extra bolds - and even then, I can't tolerate some of them. But yes, it's all about personal preference.
Keurig B70
corpcon

Re: my-Kap

Postby jbviau » Tue May 26, 2009 2:36 pm

msu1972 wrote:I gave a suggestion to use my-kap.com for Tim Horton's blend...[No connection to the company - just a very satisfied customer.

Ok, we got the point...
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re: my-Kap

Postby jar » Tue May 26, 2009 4:05 pm

jbviau wrote:
msu1972 wrote:I gave a suggestion to use my-kap.com for Tim Horton's blend...[No connection to the company - just a very satisfied customer.

Ok, we got the point...

New member, two posts, both pushing the same site. Hmmmmmmm?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Next

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews