Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Exploding T-Discs !! It is a design flaw!

Review Tassimo T Discs here

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Exploding T-Discs !! It is a design flaw!

Postby Vincent » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:21 am

IMPORTANT TASSIMO INFORMATION!

Hi, I bought a Bosch Tassimo machine last week in the UK (Argos) and also got a range of discs from a supermarket (ASDA).
After a few days we noticed something strange when using the Kenco Cafe Crema discs.: they ALL 'exploded' right at the end of the process.
If you pay attention, when the process is nearing completion, there is a final burst of steam, well, this burst seems to break the discs inside and it spills coffee all over the place.
It becomes a nightmare to clean as you can imagine and moreover, the coffee is undrinkable!

I have just been on the phone with Tassimo UK (care line number is on the packaging).
First let me say how quick and efficient they were.
However, when I mentioned the issue, the guy immediately cut me off saying he knew exactely what I was talking about!
I was then told that there is a design fault!
There is a small channel that should let that burst of steam evacuate, but it seems to be too small and therefore it breaks the discs... Apparently this issue is mostly with Cafe Crema but can also happen with any other discs!!
As you know Bosch took over the production of the machines recently, and I was told by the rep that they 'over-engineerd' the machines...
Basically the flaw is not in the capsules but the machine.

They are working on a new disc design and new discs should it the shelves end of the year....
I also was advised to use 'hard' tap water instead of bottled water (which we did use) I was offered vouchers to replace the damaged discs... So if this happens to you, you know why!
Vincent

Postby ticman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:41 pm

Vincent,

thanks for the information. I have not had the problem. I did use the Gevalia Crema but found I didn't like it on the Bosch as much as the Braun so I stopped using them. Maybe I was just lucky.

Mike
ticman

Postby faris » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:42 am

That's completely mad! How could bottled water have any effect at all? It can't. Simple. I'd have blown my top and done the old demand to talk to a manager thing. I hate doing that though. It isn't in my nature.

I have to say that I have used at least 2 discs per day since the Bosh came out in the UK, which was "ages ago" and I've not had a single problem that wasn't related to an obviously faulty t-disc.

More likely than not, older discs might not have been sealed as well as they might, and newer ones may have stronger glue to cope with the slightly higher pressure and temps involved. Just a guess.
faris

Postby Louis-Simon Ouellet » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:10 pm

hey Dr Brian

I did not have exploding disc but I did have a few disc leak a bit on me and they were MH decaf. weird huh? :!:

keep us posted.

I've been enjoying my Bosch so far. I have been able to drink good caffee with having to fight my muscula problems so its a big plus for me.

thanks
Louis-Simon Ouellet

Postby Litolygasa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:30 am

Hey Brian,

That sounds pretty horrific - sorry to hear about the exploding discs. I, too, have used the Gevalia Crema discs but haven't had any problems..though since you mentioned this I've been paying more attention to just how much pressure builds up inside those things, and it seems to vary in intensity depending on the coffee used. The foil looks much more puffed up on the smallest discs, because of course there is more pressure going through a smaller space which increases the chances of it exploding. Do you take the used disc out as soon as it's done brewing? This might minimize the chances of it happening ??? But what do I know?

Sheesh, though it's not funny, I still had to chuckle at the thought of a recent post I read here somewhere about someone who was actually contemplating making their own discs. Could you just imagine?!!

Good luck!
~Lisa :twisted:
"Lisalatte"
*Bosch Tassimo
Litolygasa

Postby Vincent » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:20 am

Hi Brian,

Bit late to answer you but if you read my original post again, you'd find out that yes, I had a very positive reply from them.
No questions asked and I was thoroughly explained why it happens: new machine by Bosch but the disc were not redesigned and the Bosch machine has got too much pressure for some discs to handled.

I got £10 vouchers within days and was advised to stay away from some discs.

Regarding botlle vs tap, there is a huge difference, most bottled water would have much less limescale than tap.
Water + heat = limescale deposit = problems...

So always better to use bottled.

We buy the cheapest gallon bottles from the supermarket so cost is not important.

If I were you, I would just call back and say yes to bottled water!
They know they have a problem with some discs so they should sort it out!
:lol:
Vincent

Exploding Discs

Postby Robroy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:31 pm

My wife and I bought a Tassimo about six weeks ago and right away had problems with the Maxwell House decaf discs either leaking or "exploding" and creating an awful mess - not to mention an undrinkable cup of coffee. We didn't have this problem though with regular MH or Nabob. In speaking with customer service, I was told that we shouldn't be using softened water - just normal tap water was called for. Since we have a water softener without a bypass unit, this would call for bottled water or a new unit. They couldn't explain however why it was just the decaf MH which gave a problem. We went on for another week without any improvement (and just using regular tap water) and went back to the store and got a replacement machine.
Since then, MOST of the decaf MH has been ok but every now and then (particularly when we've got company over) it gets tempermental again and does the leak or explosion routine.
We originally had a Keurig and switched over because we had problems with descaling and "short-cupping" and had tried Tassimo a few years back in a hotel and loved the product.
Any updates on what might resolve this issue?
Thanks!
Rob
Robroy

it's a disc manufacturing defect

Postby jondavidnelson » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:28 am

I can't comment on the stories of problems with the new unit, but as a professional engineer, it sound like a line of BS, pure & simple.

I've experienced explosions recently with my several-year-old Braun unit brewing MH SIGNATURE BLEND, and the cause is obvious: There is a thin film of plastic covering the stem tip which is preventing the brew from exiting the disc, thus causing pressure buildup & explosion. It's fairly easy to see: after you pierce the foil in the center of the disc, you should see a small stem with two semicircular openings where the brew is designed to exit the disc. In my case, these openings are clearly blocked/covered with a thin plastic film.

The moderately good news is that you can easily pierce the film with the business end of a paper clip and salvage the disc, assuming you have the wherewithal to follow this procedure (pierce the foil, examine the stem, pierce film if necessary) before your first cup of coffee in the morning.

The bad news is that I order discs several packs at a time, and I have no idea how many are bad - although it's safe to assume that if you have a problem with one disc, you'll probably have more with the rest of the from that particular pack. I haven't contacted tassimo about this yet, I'll do that soon & report back. I'm surprised they're not acknowledging this issue yet, it's clearly more feasible than than a design flaw or bad water. If they don't offer me replacement for my current stock, I'll be peeved. I doubt they'll offer to replace my coffee-stained clothes...
jondavidnelson

Re: it's a disc manufacturing defect

Postby Dadeo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:03 am

jondavidnelson wrote:I can't comment on the stories of problems with the new unit, but as a professional engineer, it sound like a line of BS, pure & simple.

I've experienced explosions recently with my several-year-old Braun unit brewing MH SIGNATURE BLEND, and the cause is obvious: There is a thin film of plastic covering the stem tip which is preventing the brew from exiting the disc, thus causing pressure buildup & explosion. It's fairly easy to see: after you pierce the foil in the center of the disc, you should see a small stem with two semicircular openings where the brew is designed to exit the disc. In my case, these openings are clearly blocked/covered with a thin plastic film.

The moderately good news is that you can easily pierce the film with the business end of a paper clip and salvage the disc, assuming you have the wherewithal to follow this procedure (pierce the foil, examine the stem, pierce film if necessary) before your first cup of coffee in the morning.

The bad news is that I order discs several packs at a time, and I have no idea how many are bad - although it's safe to assume that if you have a problem with one disc, you'll probably have more with the rest of the from that particular pack. I haven't contacted tassimo about this yet, I'll do that soon & report back. I'm surprised they're not acknowledging this issue yet, it's clearly more feasible than than a design flaw or bad water. If they don't offer me replacement for my current stock, I'll be peeved. I doubt they'll offer to replace my coffee-stained clothes...

I have the same problem with the thin film over the outlet spout on the T-disc. I have to put the disc in the machine (Bosch, about a year old, former Senseo user) and punch the disc then take it out and inspect the spout for the thin film. I have only had the problem with the MH House Blend. I have returned a defective batch to the store for a replacement with a different production code but this batch has defective discs also! I have been using a number of different brands and also the MH House Blend since the beginning without any problems till now. The mess that the exploding disc makes takes hours to clean all the grounds out of the machine. I’m sure that there are some inside that I can’t get to. I am so paranoid about using a defective disc that I inspect every one. I have to use a powerful magnifying glass and a flashlight to see it. This is taking the fun out of using the machine. This is clearly a problem in the injection molding of the T-disc shell and is not being caught in QC. I love the whole Tassimo concept and think that it is the best engineered unit available, and I love the coffee it makes. I sent an email to MH about a week ago and they responded by telling me that I need to contact Tassimo. I plan to call Tassimo today. I have had 3 messy explosions and have 6 unused defective discs that I can send them. This problem needs to be addressed immediately or this could hurt their reputation and sales.
Dadeo

Postby jondavidnelson » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:27 am

What seems more troubling is that CS is apparently continuing to tell folks who inquire about this to use different water - I've seen different accounts of users being told to use tap water, distilled water, etc. It seems there are enough corroborations of this faulty disc issue that they ought to at least acknowledge it rather than lay blame on the consumer and provide a bogus excuse/solution. My explosions have also been limited to the MH HOUSE BLEND. My wife discovered that she can recognize the problem by sound and prevent a pending explosion by releasing the disc before it gets to full pressure. BTW, not only is the mess a pain to clean up, they can also stain whatever you're wearing pretty permanently if you're unlucky enough to get spewed on.
jondavidnelson

Postby Dadeo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:59 am

I just contacted Tassimo (10/26) and they acknowledged that there is a problem with the MH House Blend Discs. They wanted the production code off the disc. They apologized and are sending me a replacement package of MH House Blend at no charge. It would be nice to know the production codes that are bad so we can avoid them at the store.
Dadeo

exploding discs

Postby annew » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:17 pm

We have had several blowouts. The latest came today. The 3 blowouts today were from MH House blend decaf J5409175. Yesterday we had a blowout with Starbucks Columbia J5409147. another day we had Gevalia Decaf signature blend blow as well B0194C1429. another day Gevalia morning roast also blew. Interesting enough if you aligned the three blowout discs (from today) with the tab at the 9 oclock position with label facing up the blowouts occurred on the rim at the 7 oclock position. I called Tassimo and advised them of the incidents and were told we would get replacements.
annew

Re: exploding discs

Postby Dadeo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:05 pm

annew wrote:We have had several blowouts. The latest came today. The 3 blowouts today were from MH House blend decaf J5409175. Yesterday we had a blowout with Starbucks Columbia J5409147. another day we had Gevalia Decaf signature blend blow as well B0194C1429. another day Gevalia morning roast also blew. Interesting enough if you aligned the three blowout discs (from today) with the tab at the 9 oclock position with label facing up the blowouts occurred on the rim at the 7 oclock position. I called Tassimo and advised them of the incidents and were told we would get replacements.

The problem isn’t a foil rim leak. That’s the result. The output spout is plugged and pressurizes the coffee compartment and blows out the foil. Take a look at the output spout on the T-disc and see if it has a thin film of plastic blocking the flow of coffee. It is the inner circle spout with a divider in the middle. It looks like a double “D” back to back. I'll bet that’s the problem. Tassimo has a real problem with their injection molding company.

When the machine is off I put in a T-disc and close the lid. Then I open it and look at the spout, if it has the film over it I punch it out with a Swiss army knife. It's a pain but it beats cleaning the machine with coffee grounds all over the place. Hopefully all the defective discs will work out of the system soon. They should contact their distributers and recall the product or put the defective product with their production codes on their website.
Dadeo

Postby jbviau » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:08 pm

annew wrote:Gevalia morning roast also blew.

This line made me laugh.

Seriously though, if I were having this much trouble with my single-serve coffee machine there's no way I'd keep it. I know it's the discs that are the issue, but still. Maybe someone should take one for the team and get a minor burn and then publicize it in order to motivate Tassimo to take swift action. Sorry to hear about your (collective) ordeal. Think I'll stick to my pods.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby Dadeo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:25 pm

jbviau wrote:
annew wrote:Gevalia morning roast also blew.

This line made me laugh.

Seriously though, if I were having this much trouble with my single-serve coffee machine there's no way I'd keep it. I know it's the discs that are the issue, but still. Maybe someone should take one for the team and get a minor burn and then publicize it in order to motivate Tassimo to take swift action. Sorry to hear about your (collective) ordeal. Think I'll stick to my pods.

The problem is that the machine is so good and well designed I wouldn't know what to buy. The custom brewing with the barcodes makes everything from Tea to Expresso perfectly every time. Inspecting the discs is not that "big a deal" as long as it's temporary. Tassimo seems to be replacing any defective discs.
Dadeo

Next

Return to T Discs and T Disc Reviews