Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Pod vs. K-cup single serve machines!

Talk back from articles posted at Single Serve Coffee

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Pod vs. K-cup single serve machines!

Postby Happy Girl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:09 am

Good Morning All,

I am looking to purchase a single serve coffee machine, my first!

Is there a difference in flavor between the pods and K-cups?

What is the difference between Breville BKL600XL and Keurig K60 or K70, besides price?

I like medium/full bodied smooth coffee, flavored coffees, NOT bitter coffee, and I do love a good cup of tea!

Is there a place I could visit to sample coffee from various machines?

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance! :D
Happy Girl

Re: Pod vs. K-cup single serve machines!

Postby MichFan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:31 pm

I've had coffee from a Senseo and Keurig. The Keurig was better by far. Those with both higher end pod machines and Keurigs seem to think pods can be better.

What is the difference between Breville BKL600XL and Keurig K60 or K70, besides price?

Breville is a stainless steel B70 with the My K-Cup included and internal holder for it. B70 is a B60 with an added brew size (IMO worthless) and a larger water tank. B60 can be had for $120 at BB&B/LnT with a 20% off coupon, I'm not sure the extra brew size and larger water tank are worth $80 (or $180 for the added stainless steel).

I like medium/full bodied smooth coffee, flavored coffees, NOT bitter coffee, and I do love a good cup of tea!

Both machines will serve you well in this regards. With pod machines you will have to use separate pod holders for coffee and tea.

Is there a place I could visit to sample coffee from various machines?

Williams Sonoma

Any recommendations?

If you go Keurig -- I think the B60 is the best value.
If you go pod -- stick with Cuisinart, OPOD, or Bunn
If have the money for a Breville -- you could get a Keurig B40 and Dolce Gusto combined for less, and have a lot more fun!
MichFan

Postby NDJollyMon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:46 pm

I think K-cup coffee tastes superior.

I think Pod coffee tastes stronger, (using same water amount) and has many more brands and varieties. (especially single origin coffees)

Pod machines all seem to extract differently...and the higher end machines get the most raves. (Opod especially)

Keurig machines are very easy to make water drops for tea using bags. There are quite a few tea K-cups as well...but I prefer to use tea bags anyway. There are also contraptions to go in the Keurig machine allowing you to use pods, and fresh ground (loose) coffee as well. Just more versatile IMHO.
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby Happy Girl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Thank you wgm, MichFan, & NDJollyMon for your responses. I will definitely head over to Williams Sonoma tomorrow to hopefully taste a sample.

Can anyone recommend either their favorite pod single serve and/or their favorite K-cup single serve machine?

You all sound like the experts, so I will start off looking at your recommendations first!

Are there any other features on the machine that should be considered? I don't want to purchase a machine and later find out about some nifty feature on another machine that I was totally oblivious to! Help educate me, my friends!
Happy Girl

Postby Happy Girl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:15 pm

wgm wrote:Happy Girl - welcome to the forum...

I'll try to answer a couple of your questions... :wink:

I would say... No... if you were asking... "if" the exact same coffee beans were used in both formats & same machines... but... they are not... over all, I have found pods to have the better flavor (coffee beans) available & that over all machines designed for pods extract flavor from the coffee beans better... but this is just my opinion...

You should in either format ... be able to find... a medium/full bodied smooth coffee, flavored coffees, NOT bitter coffee & a good cup of tea :wink:

Only place I know of that might have machines that you can try out... would be a williams sonoma store. Have heard of BBB & LNT sometimes having k-cup machine samples...

Hope this helps... sure other forum members will post ideas too... Image

Do pods use whole coffee beans & K-cups use ground beans?
Happy Girl

Postby VydorScope » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:36 pm

Happy Girl wrote:Can anyone recommend either their favorite pod single serve and/or their favorite K-cup single serve machine?

Opod and Bunn hold the top spots on just about everyone's list for pod machines. SS1 is up there too, but I think its gone from the market now.

For K-Cups, there is only one line, so just pick your feature list. :)

For the record, my K-Cup machine (B40) definitely brews weaker coffee then then pod machines with SAME water and SAME grinds. But is still good. :) It is faster (the B40), by a decent margin. Which I think is why its weaker. :)
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby Happy Girl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Thank you VydorScope for your recommendations and great explanation of speed vs. coffee strength. Makes sense!

Which system (K-cup or pod) offers a greater selection of coffee/tea/chocolate?

What is the time frame to brew a cup with the K-cup vs. pod method?
Happy Girl

Postby sweaner » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:03 pm

Happy Girl, where are you located. Maybe if you are near any forum members they could give you a sample.

There is a better selection of coffees in pods, but no cocoa. I haven't looked at the tea samples.

For ease of use the Keurig cannot be beat, but I enjoy both formats. The Keurig is easier for fresh grind unless you go with a Cuisinart SS1 pod machine. If you go to Williams-Sonoma, ask if they have any left. They were selling their stock for $49. (Regular price $199)
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby VydorScope » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Happy Girl wrote:Thank you VydorScope for your recommendations and great explanation of speed vs. coffee strength. Makes sense!

Which system (K-cup or pod) offers a greater selection of coffee/tea/chocolate?

What is the time frame to brew a cup with the K-cup vs. pod method?

By far there are more pods, maybe 100 to one, but as mentioned no cocoa.

I would say for the most part the best method to make good cocoa with these machines is use them for hot water, and dump in swiss miss or something like it. Same for tea. :) Tea really works best when soaked....eerrr "steeped"... and none of the SSC formats offer that.

Let your coffee machine make coffee, and hot water. Leave the tea and hot cocoa for other means. Thats the way I see it. :)
Vincent
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
VydorScope

Postby Happy Girl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:29 am

sweaner wrote:Happy Girl, where are you located. Maybe if you are near any forum members they could give you a sample.

Sarasota, Florida
Happy Girl

Postby Happy Girl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:31 am

Thank you VydorScope! You sound very logical - I like your thinking!
Happy Girl

Postby Alice2 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:56 pm

If you want to also use your own coffee beans for single serve, I say get a Bunn My Cafe. The T-Sacs hold a gob of coffee and fit fine in the holder -- whereas the OPOD can not take a very big serving of coffee grounds in a T-Sac and it's easy to have to fuss around putting too much in and having to take some out to close the drawer.

If you're not into using your own coffee for single serve, I still prefer the Keurig b/c the pod offerings have not offered me any light-medium roast coffees that are not actually either too DARK tasting or too WEAK tasting. I used to like the Gourmet Cafe Columbian pods but in returning to them after not using them I could taste a darkness in there I did not want to taste.

So it does depend on what your idea of 'medium' roast is. I find Keurig to be soooo convenient, and while it is a waste fo money to buy the cocoa K-Cups (although they do taste good just dumped in the cup and brewed normally that way, not run through the K-Cup causing the need to rinse the K-Cup holder) -- and while teab bags may be more practical in either format, the K-Cup teas are nice and awfully convenient to have available.

My Keurig** is the lowly B40, which I am 100% happy with and don't plan to upgrade, even if this one dies and I have to buy a new one, which incidentally, it appears it is going to run forever with fairly heavy use from me. I'm into simplicity -- put the K-Cup in, push the button drink the coffee, no need to worry about whether I want a taller cup or a shorter cup or if it's going to be too weak or if a taller cup will fit under there or not -- and sure it looks plain without the cool blue lights but it sure knows its job and does it well.

If you want to use your own coffee in the Keurig, my recommendation is use the My K-Cup but also the pod-slayer (which we can tell you about if you want) but simply it puts a pod (or a T-Sac of coffee) into the pod holder and pierces the top so the water can flow through there better and the coffe comes out QUITE NICE, in my opinion, although in reality I now use only K-Cups and my two-cupper for the ground coffee. If you want to have only one coffee machine in your home (God forbid!) it is handy to know the versatility available to you if you were to get a Keurig or a pod brewer.

If you prefer the taste of pod coffee, and do not plan to run your own coffee through the pod machine, the OPOD is a better buy than the Bunn. I say that only because I had one of the many Bunns that started peeing all over my counter with less than two years' use, and although they cheerfully sent me a new one, it took a long time to get it. (Supposedly that little problem with the Bunn has been resolved in all models going out the door now.)

Now my Bunn happens to be my NIB standby machine, my OPOD is sitting on the counter wishing it had a loving home that needed it, and my Keurig and my two-cupper are my number one machines.

And really, how many coffee machines does one person really need? Really, now?

You may become normal like the rest of us and end up having to buy BOTH a Keurig and a pod-brewer!

hah hah haaaah --- I'll make that my PREDICTION. 8)

**My Keurig B40 is my office coffee pot -- I now (thank you Mrs. Long!) also have a nice new (RED!) Keurig B30 which is nice and compact and a pour-over; if you can stand waiting three minutes for your cup to be done instead of one minute, it's certainly a great item to consider! (Did I mention it comes in RED?)
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

ss-1 is available, but not at WS

Postby sznkelly » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:26 pm

VydorScope wrote: ... SS1 is up there too, but I think its gone from the market now...

I may be wrong, but I don't think the SS-1 is out of production, as it is still available in many stores and e-tailers, such as Amazon, CoffeeWiz, cooking.com, chefscatalog, Home Depot, Macy's, BBB, and others. Typical price is just under $200.
I believe it is just not carried by Williams Sonoma any longer. I'm very pleased with mine, and getting it for $50 at WS (during their closeout) didn't hurt!

* nespresso c100 (& aeroccino)
* keurig b30
* cuisinart ss-1
* senseo 7810 (2, retired)
* several old-fashioned drip brewers in the closet, to be donated
sznkelly

Postby VydorScope » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:54 pm

Oh, sorry! Okay I was wrong. It happens, occasionally LOL
Vincent
VydorScope

Postby Happy Girl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:09 pm

Thank you Alice2 for your insight! What's a pod-slayer? Boy oh boy - I've gotta get up to speed with you all!

Today I went to Sur La Table here in town and tested my very first K-cup - it was a Diedrich French Roast and I must say I LOVED it! How easy it was... and super fast! I also tested the new Dolce Gusto and it was WAY too strong for my taste.

WS had the Nespresso rep in and she made me a cappuccino with the Essenza Automatic Expresso and this cool milk frother. Boy that milk frother thing was neat. She just poured in the milk, hit the button and presto.... instant dessert like froth. It was awesome, but much too strong for my taste. The K-cup tasted MUCH better IMO.

I still need to taste pod coffee before making up my mind. What a fun day! :D
Happy Girl

Next

Return to SingleServeCoffee.com Discussions