Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

How many Grams of coffee in a Kcup?

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

How many Grams of coffee in a Kcup?

Postby JEFFH » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Does anyone know the amount of coffee in a standard Kcup compared to a extra bold?
Coffee preference:
Dark Roasts--Splash of milk & Splenda
Med Roasts--Black

Machines:
Bunn my Cafe
Keruig B70
JEFFH

Postby Justbcaws » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:16 pm

Weightwise on my scale, it's twice as much. The cup/filter is about 5 g, 10 with the reg coffee, and 15 with EB's Also it is ground much finer, so that makes a big difference IMO.
Justbcaws

Postby JEFFH » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:20 am

Justbcaws wrote:Weightwise on my scale, it's twice as much. The cup/filter is about 5 g, 10 with the reg coffee, and 15 with EB's Also it is ground much finer, so that makes a big difference IMO.

Only 5 Grams of coffee in a standard Kcup well that would explain why they make such weak coffee.
Coffee preference:
Dark Roasts--Splash of milk & Splenda
Med Roasts--Black

Machines:
Bunn my Cafe
Keruig B70
JEFFH

Postby coffeewiz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:58 am

Justbcaws wrote:Weightwise on my scale, it's twice as much. The cup/filter is about 5 g, 10 with the reg coffee, and 15 with EB's Also it is ground much finer, so that makes a big difference IMO.

That isn't right ... their is usually between 9-9.5 grams in a standard K-cup and up to 10.5 grams or so in an extra bold..
Single Cup Coffee Superstore! Over 500+ Coffee Pods, Keurig, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto. and More!! http://www.coffeewiz.com
coffeewiz

Postby Justbcaws » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:32 am

coffeewhiz wrote:

That isn't right ... their is usually between 9-9.5 grams in a standard K-cup and up to 10.5 grams or so in an extra bold..

Well that's why I said on my scale. It's a salter kitchen scale. Every regular I had was the same, as was the EB.
Justbcaws

Postby coffeewiz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:33 am

Justbcaws wrote:
coffeewhiz wrote:

Well that's why I said on my scale. It's a salter kitchen scale. Every regular I had was the same, as was the EB.
Ahhh Got it!!!
Single Cup Coffee Superstore! Over 500+ Coffee Pods, Keurig, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto. and More!! http://www.coffeewiz.com
coffeewiz

Postby Justbcaws » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:39 am

LOL, well I have no idea of the accuaracy of it, but it is consistant. :)
Justbcaws

Postby Justbcaws » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:48 am

Visual MG french roast and MG Sumatran EB

Justbcaws

Postby coffeewiz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:56 am

Justbcaws wrote:Visual MG french roast and MG Sumatran EB

Very Cool!!! ... Sorry you had to waste two k-cups though. Nice way to get a visual ... :)
coffeewiz

Postby Justbcaws » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:06 am

coffeewhiz wrote:
Justbcaws wrote:Visual MG french roast and MG Sumatran EB

Very Cool!!! ... Sorry you had to waste two k-cups though. Nice way to get a visual ... :)

Well I have this my k cup thing.
Justbcaws

Postby BigJack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:25 am

Funny- the Peet's Coffee customer service folks told me they wouldn't consider making a k-cup b/c you cannot fit two tablespoons of grounds into one. Obviously, they are wrong!
BigJack

Postby Justbcaws » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:32 am

BigJack wrote:Funny- the Peet's Coffee customer service folks told me they wouldn't consider making a k-cup b/c you cannot fit two tablespoons of grounds into one. Obviously, they are wrong!

There isn't much more room than that tho. It's full. Can't believe I didn't take pictures. :) But if you hold your cup up to the light there is 5/8" space to the bottom. I bet the filters could be modified to put even more in. A slight dip in the middle like the old ones. Here's another visual, this is the Sumatra EB in the filter cup.

Justbcaws

Postby coffeewiz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:36 am

BigJack wrote:Funny- the Peet's Coffee customer service folks told me they wouldn't consider making a k-cup b/c you cannot fit two tablespoons of grounds into one. Obviously, they are wrong!

It's not really Peet's call on whether they will make a K-cup or not. Keurig makes that call. Look at the huge growth with the companies already making K-cups.. I would say that if Keurig gave Peets the ok to make a K-cup Peets would jump in both feet.. :) With that being said the machines cost around 1.5 million dollars plus boxes, lids cartons and of course marketing. I would say that a company going into the K-cup business assuming Keurig pics them would have to spend a minimum of between 2.5 - 3 million dollars just to get started... however if you have the right product the payoff is huge... :)
coffeewiz

Postby BigJack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:41 am

coffeewhiz wrote:

It's not really Peet's call on whether they will make a K-cup or not. Keurig makes that call. Look at the huge growth with the companies already making K-cups.. I would say that if Keurig gave Peets the ok to make a K-cup Peets would jump in both feet.. :) With that being said the machines cost around 1.5 million dollars plus boxes, lids cartons and of course marketing. I would say that a company going into the K-cup business assuming Keurig pics them would have to spend a minimum of between 2.5 - 3 million dollars just to get started... however if you have the right product the payoff is huge... :)

Thanks for the insider's perspective. That makes a whole lot of sense.
BigJack

Postby NDJollyMon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:05 pm

coffeewhiz wrote:

I bet Dunkin Donuts gets into pods and or K-cups in the near future! They got the bucks...and the goods to pull it off in a grand way.
Pete (Jolly) -
Forum Moderator
Fresh Roast Plus 8 Coffee Roaster
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
GSI JavaDrip
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Next

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews