Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Trouble With My Cuisinart SS-700

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Trouble With My Cuisinart SS-700

Postby ifonline » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:01 am

Well, my relationship with the new Cuisinart SS-700 is hitting a rough patch, and I'm hoping someone out there might have some insight into what's happening.

I recently purchased a Cuisinart SS-700 K-Cup coffee machine and generally love it. However, the machine is only a week and a half old and has already developed an issue: the machine refuses to brew a full 8 oz cup (per the cup size setting) first thing in the morning.

I have the machine set to automatically turn on at 5:45 am so that the water stored inside is hot and ready to brew. I get up at 6 am, and I make my first cup. I place the K-Cup into the machine and press Brew (the 8 oz cup size is the default cup size and I confirm it is selected). The machine draws water, and then dispenses the brewed coffee. However, it quickly stops dispensing coffee, and the result in the cup measures roughly 3 oz.

I discard the now used K-Cup, dump the small amount of coffee in the cup, and try again. This time the machine brews a proper 8 oz cup of coffee, and seems to continue to work properly for the remainder of the morning (roughly 6 cups). However, this cycle repeats itself every morning with the first cup.

I had something similar happen on a Keurig B77 that the Cuisinart is replacing, and so I am concerned that the Cuisinart uses the same parts and components as the Keurig machines. Therefore, I am concerned that this product will fall apart as easily as the Keurig machine did.

Anyone have any experience like this, either with the Cuisinart SS-700, any of the Keurig machines, or the Breville machine? Is there a fix? This is frustrating. After the B77 started having this issue, and ultimately stopped drawing water from the reservoir at all, I tried using a regular coffee maker, but I wasn't satisfied with the results. The concept of the Keuring/K-Cup system is brilliant, and works very well when it works at all, but since by B77 stopped working, and now this Cuisinart is already having odd troubles, my confidence is shaken.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ian

Check out my music on iTunes or Amazon.
ifonline

Postby jbviau » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:20 am

I can't imagine this would make a difference, but do you get the same short drop on your first cup if you turn on the machine manually rather than relying on the timer? Also, have you checked for clogged needles? This machine is way too new for scale to be causing your problems. Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re: Trouble With My Cuisinart SS-700

Postby EricBNC » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 am

ifonline wrote:the machine refuses to brew a full 8 oz cup (per the cup size setting) first thing in the morning.

I have the machine set to automatically turn on at 5:45 am so that the water stored inside is hot and ready to brew. ... I place the K-Cup into the machine and press Brew (the 8 oz cup size is the default cup size and I confirm it is selected). The machine draws water, and then dispenses the brewed coffee. However, it quickly stops dispensing coffee, and the result in the cup measures roughly 3 oz.

I ... try again. This time the machine brews a proper 8 oz cup of coffee, and seems to continue to work properly for the remainder of the morning (roughly 6 cups). However, this cycle repeats itself every morning with the first cup.

I had something similar happen on a Keurig B77

Cuisinart does not provide an online manual, so I can only guess. The website does mention this:
Rinse Control instantly cleans the inside of the brew chamber to keep every cup as delicious as the first.
The rinse, according to other posts, is 4oz - If ~1oz is captured by the grounds the remaining ~3oz ends up in the cup.

I think your machine is rinsing itself before brewing. This machine looks quite programmable compared to mine (I have on/off, & 2 brew size buttons). Maybe someone else knows how to turn off the auto rinse if this even is the problem.

If nobody can help, then, in the spirit of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, Name the brewer HAL 9000, accept its benevolent protection, and never attempt to shut it off. :lol:
EricBNC

Postby ifonline » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:28 am

@jbviau

I'm not sure if anything is different if I turn the machine on manually as I have not done that. I will give it a shot (no pun intended) in the morning to see what happens. As for clogged needles, I have checked, and I have run several "rinse" cycles via the button on the machine over the course of the week and a half that I have had the machine. The needles don't appear to be clogged, and I have never gotten anything but slightly brown water when "rinsing" the machine (from residual brewed coffee left in the K-Cup holder). I agree that this doesn't appear to be a scaling issue as the brewer is just too new.

@EricBNC

I don't believe the Cuisinart has an "auto-rinse" feature. The only time it will rinse is when the Rinse button is pressed. As far as I remember, there is no mention of an "auto-rinse" feature in the manual, but I will certainly check again. I have sent a support request to Cuisinart, and I'll post up here once I receive a reply. Maybe they will have an idea what might be wrong.

And I don't think I'll be leaving the machine on or calling it HAL, because as soon as I do, it will lock me out of the house and refuse to let me in.
Ian

ifonline

Postby coffeeortea » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Maybe you could first just dispense some water (heating your mug is a good practice anyway) and see if that resolves the issue for you with the first K-Cup of the morning.
coffeeortea

Postby ifonline » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:52 pm

I actually did that this morning, and it "worked" in that the water-only brew was short, but the first coffee brew was the correct amount. The only issues I have with this method are why is the machine doing this, and how long before it completely stops working properly (or will it even break at all)?
Ian

ifonline

beware of the ss700

Postby dustin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Let me start off by assuring you that I know my Keurig machines... I've owned a total of 6 machines now. I currently own (2) cuisinart ss700's... one for home, and one for my office. Both are less than 2 weeks old, and both are being returned for a problem quite common to the necently manufactured keurig machines.... the pump spins but doesn't pump any water. On the keurig machines this will cause the machine to shutdown to prevent burning up the motor... the cuisinart doesn't shutoff, it just eventually stops. Identical problems, they must share a common faulty part. It seems way too coincidental that the cuisinart machine and the recently manufactured keurig "quiet pump" machines share identical issues.... major bummer... i would absolutely wait to buy until the problem has been resolved.
dustin

Postby ifonline » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:50 pm

I just got off the phone with Cuisinart, and to my surprise, they didn't try and pretend like they had never heard of this problem before. When I finished explaining what was happening, and without skipping a beat, they offered their solution: remove the water reservoir and replace it. Doing so, according to them, resets a sensor that is causing the trouble I am describing.

Seems too easy a fix, but if true, I will be thrilled. I will try this out tomorrow morning and post up here the results.
Ian

ifonline

No problems for 2weeks until today

Postby paulloren » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:08 pm

I have had no problems whatsoever in 2 weeks myself until this morning. I was reading the forums about others already going through one or two exchanges with pump problems.

After reading and saying Thank G, i must have a good unit. I made a brew and then got add water notice. I removed the tank and dump remaining old water refilled and replaced, and made a brew at default setting(8oz) and only 4 oz came out.

I rebrewed and this time it said brewing for what seemed forever and only 1 oz came out.

It is now brewing normal after repeated cycles.

What Gives?
paulloren

Postby ifonline » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Well... dang. That doesn't give me any confidence that the "remove the reservoir and replace" trick is going to do anything, as you removed and replaced the reservoir and your troubles began!

Ungh... I was looking at the OPOD earlier. Maybe I should keep looking at it and give up on Keurig/Keurig co-branded machines.
Ian

ifonline

Postby jbviau » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:48 pm

ifonline wrote:I was looking at the OPOD earlier. Maybe I should keep looking at it and give up on Keurig/Keurig co-branded machines.

I love my OPOD, and many others do too. It's a 2005 machine (gen. 2) that I picked up used on eBay. Never had a problem with it!

p.s. I meant that many others love *their own* OPODs, not that they're all secretly coveting mine (lol).
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Anyone having Problems with Cuisinart without using Filter?

Postby paulloren » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Are People having problems using the Water Filter?
For the 1st week and Half I had no problems what soever without using the water filter.

I just recently started using the filter, and now problems arise?

Anybody having the intermittent pump problem while using without the water filter, if not could the use of filter be the problem?
paulloren

Postby ifonline » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:40 pm

jbviau wrote:I love my OPOD, and many others do too. It's a 2005 machine (gen. 2) that I picked up used on eBay. Never had a problem with it!

Do you know what generation the OPOD is on now, and where I could find details about each generation's improvements? I have been searching, but can't find much. Additionally, I am having trouble finding detailed reviews of the OPOD. Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks.
Ian

ifonline

Postby TheCoffeeArtisan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Ian,

The current OPOD is considered a 4th Generation machine.

1st Generation machines were produced in 2004 and had no fan on the rear of the brewer.

2nd Generation machines added a cooling fan and were produced in late 2005.

3rd Generation machines were produced in late 2006 and incorporated some internal plumbing changes that corrected issues with short drops when using thicker/larger pods. There was a subtle color change (Black instead of blue) for the pod tray latching mechanism.

4th Generation machines incorporated no additional changes from Generation 3. The only way to tell the difference is from the manufacture date and I believe the pod tray latch is blue again. If you buy a *new* OPOD today, don't be surprised if you see a 2008 manufacture date.

You can find lots of content in the forums comparing OPODs to other brewers. Just do a few searches with the keyword OPOD along with any other terms that may be relevant to what you're looking for.

Chad
250+ Coffee and Tea Pods from The Coffee Artisan, Fratello, Cafejo, Reunion Island, Baronet, Solera, Organa, City Steam, Barnie's, JavaOne, Melitta and Wolfgang Puck
Bunn, Grindmaster and Baratza Equipment
The Coffee Artisan
TheCoffeeArtisan

Postby ifonline » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks. And a PM is on the way.
Ian

ifonline

Next

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines