Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Trouble With My Cuisinart SS-700

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Trouble With My Cuisinart SS-700

Postby 3 Cats - No Mice » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Don-K wrote:Hi,

We've had similar problems and as a result, I unplug our unit each night and plug it back in the next morning. I think this provides the unit a "Power On" reset which puts settings at their "default" conditions. It seems to work better when I do that. We love the unit but have had to exchange it for a new one to get one that works correctly. We also get water under the drip pan, which seems to be coming from inside the unit.

Don-K

Be sure not to overfill the reservoir tank past the VERY DIFFICULT SEE "Max Fill" line. I learned the hard way. It looks like water is coming out the bottom of the unit, but it's really just overflowing the reservoir.
Warren
- - - - - - - - - -
Keurig B70, B30
Bunn My Cafe MC
Cuisinart SS-700
Cuisinart EM-200
3 Cats - No Mice

Postby tfr315 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:03 pm

My daughter gave me one of these machines that she said simply would not function at all (no water input) since she knew I liked to tinker. I plugged it in and could not get it to pump water through the brewer without any kcup inserted. It said descale on the display. I downloaded the manual, read all the instructions, and found a paper clip to unstop the needle that punctures the kcup. It was stopped up. I then got about three ounces of water to go through the machine. So I went out and bought a lot of vinegar to run through the unit just like the instructions said. Took a long time and did it twice, leaving the machine on overnight to get rid of any junk in the machine. Still, little or no improvement.

I took the bottom off the machine and looked at how it was put together. I then read a post where a user took the clip off the pump, removed the screws and cleaned out the feed tube from the water tank. Hmm. At work we put in a new instant coffee machine and had to install a backflow preventer to meet the health department code. Left me thinking that if the needle is plugged up and the pump builds up pressure, what happens when the pump shuts off? Backflow? Rather than take the machine apart to clean the guts, I thought there must be an easier way to fix the water flow.

Looking down into the hole for the water intake where the water tank sits, there is a metal strainer, with pretty small holes in it. Didn't look like there was any way to clean it. So I took my portable hand steamer, fired it up and steamed out the hole for the water intake. I also did the needle and all around the machine.

Voila! Perfect cup of coffee. Worked every time since. You can see the water drawn into the tank as the brew cycle begins and again it draws more water down after the brew cycle completes.

I don't know if it is supposed to work this way, but it is making a pretty good cup of coffee for a "dead machine".
tfr315

Postby jar » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 pm

tfr315 wrote:My daughter gave me one of these machines that she said simply would not function at all (no water input) since she knew I liked to tinker. I plugged it in and could not get it to pump water through the brewer without any kcup inserted. It said descale on the display. I downloaded the manual, read all the instructions, and found a paper clip to unstop the needle that punctures the kcup. It was stopped up. I then got about three ounces of water to go through the machine. So I went out and bought a lot of vinegar to run through the unit just like the instructions said. Took a long time and did it twice, leaving the machine on overnight to get rid of any junk in the machine. Still, little or no improvement.

I took the bottom off the machine and looked at how it was put together. I then read a post where a user took the clip off the pump, removed the screws and cleaned out the feed tube from the water tank. Hmm. At work we put in a new instant coffee machine and had to install a backflow preventer to meet the health department code. Left me thinking that if the needle is plugged up and the pump builds up pressure, what happens when the pump shuts off? Backflow? Rather than take the machine apart to clean the guts, I thought there must be an easier way to fix the water flow.

Looking down into the hole for the water intake where the water tank sits, there is a metal strainer, with pretty small holes in it. Didn't look like there was any way to clean it. So I took my portable hand steamer, fired it up and steamed out the hole for the water intake. I also did the needle and all around the machine.

Voila! Perfect cup of coffee. Worked every time since. You can see the water drawn into the tank as the brew cycle begins and again it draws more water down after the brew cycle completes.

I don't know if it is supposed to work this way, but it is making a pretty good cup of coffee for a "dead machine".

Way to go. Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby Laethageal » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:29 am

Hello all.

I've had my Cuisinart brewer for almost 2 years now. As most of you reading this forum, it has had random trouble putting out 8 oz brew. For my part, trouble began after almost 8 months of use. I can tell the sound coming from the pump had been changing for some time and it then started giving half-cup randomly, sometimes 3-4 cup in a row, and sometime being fine for 3-4 days. I read the forum a little bit back then and try descaling the brewer, which helped much. The number of k-cup wasted from the bad amount of water became almost none, for 3-4 months. So I descaled again. And again 3 months later, and then 2 months later and every 2 months ever after. Now descaling wasn't giving any good result so I decided to open up the brewer since what I read back then in the forum didn't give any answers. I ended cleaning the plastic filter that is siting right under the water tank just like trf315 did 2 post ago. Not knowing he already gave you the answer, I came here to try and help people out by giving out what I just found out! Too late ? Bah, guess I'll post you some picture to show you people their is nothing to be afraid of!

Your goal is to remove that piece from the brewer, disassemble it and clean the plastic filter. I'll refer to that piece as "A" for easier explanations.

So first of all, remove the water tank and cup holder, tilt the brewer to the side and remove the screw holding the metal plate. As you can see in the picture, I made a green square named "A" where it was. You need to remove the 2 "B" screw at first and the 2 "C" screw retaining the motor. Why the "C" screw ? Well if you don't remove them, it's pretty hard to loosen the pressure clip so make yourself a favor and remove those 2.

Wow the job is almost done! Remove the "A" from under the brewer. At first the little filter might look like being one with the piece and not removable, but it is not. Save yourself some trouble and try not using your screw driver to lift it simply not to puncture the rubber. Using your finger, pull the white rubber with the filter off black plastic case.

Remove the filter from inside and proceed to cleaning it.

It's that easy, installation is the reverse.

I'm now enjoying my Cuisinart Brewer as if it was new. Pump noise came back to normal. Guess yours about too, considering how easy it is to fix!
Laethageal

Postby jbviau » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 am

Welcome, Laethageal. Great first post! Glad you're back in business.

In case anyone else has trouble finding the little letters in your second pic, A is green, B is blue, and C is red.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby stuckpipe » Sat May 19, 2012 11:25 am

I found all the screw and cleaned out the screen and attached everything. Filled the water reservoir and tried to brew hotwater. Absolutely nothing. You can hear the motor and pump running but no water coming out?

Any other advice or things to try?
stuckpipe

Postby jar » Sat May 19, 2012 12:10 pm

stuckpipe wrote:I found all the screw and cleaned out the screen and attached everything. Filled the water reservoir and tried to brew hotwater. Absolutely nothing. You can hear the motor and pump running but no water coming out?

Any other advice or things to try?

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Hopefully someone will have a suggestion for you soon. They already know my suggestion.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby 1ceTr0n » Tue May 22, 2012 12:08 am

Very short term lurker here who's really pissed off with his SECOND Cuisinart SS-700 from Costco since I got my first one from mom at christmas. The first one started to have water issues with VERY slowly pumping out coffee after only a month of usage. I exchanged it at my local Costco and got another unit. What was surprising is that compared to my first unit when I would close the K-cup head, it would make loud "clank" sound and didn't feel very solid, my replacement one feels more soft when I close the k-cup head.

In any case, a few weeks ago my my SECOND Cuisinart machine is now having the random issue of not wanting to pump water through the stupid reservoir, it just sits and spins and spins until it finally gives up or the water actually starts flowing through the system. I've tried reseating the reservoir several times, put in new distilled and filtered drinking water *our local water is very hard* and tilted the unit to pour water out of the reservoir holder and I still can't get the thing to constantly pump reliably, it randomly just refuses to pump water at random times and it reallys pissing me off that I'm having this issue on a babied and taken care of 3 month old machine that has only had distilled and filter drinking water in 1 gallon jugs. I am not going to bother running vinegar through this thing as its ludicrous that I would have to do that already for this machine.

My mom also just got a notice in the mail from Costco and Cuisinart stating that basically ALOT of machines are being returned and Cuisinart is just rehasing the same old stupid advise about running the descaling method but more frequently then 3 months if necassary as well as rinsing the k-cup holder and needles.

I'm so sick of this crap, im about to take it back to Costco again and get a B-70 as my Costco is no longer carrying the Cuisinart models anymore *gee, I wonder why*
1ceTr0n

Postby jbviau » Tue May 22, 2012 8:06 am

^^^ Welcome. I've deleted your duplicate post in another related thread. I hope the fix you mentioned elsewhere holds!
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby etexlady » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:16 pm

I guess I'm joining this sad club. I have a Cuisinart SS-780SA that I purchased in January 2011. For the last month or so it has balked at dispensing water. It pulls the water from the reservoir but will not dispense it into the coffee cup. I had been able to coax it along by unplugging it and then replugging but today that didn't work. It squirts out a tiny bit of water and just makes noise until I get tired of hearing it and turn the thing off. I've tried every tip mentioned in the instruction booklet that came with the machine except descaling and I see no reason to do that when it will not dispense. I bought it at Sam's and still have the receipt so I should be able to return it. I really don't care to deal with Cuisinart directly as I'm sure they would just want to send a refurbished machine and I don't think I want another one.
etexlady

Postby etexlady » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Update: I called Sam's Club about my Cuisinart SS coffee maker. They classify the item as an "electronic" and there is a 90 day return on them so no help from the seller (though their website only states televisions and such are electronics). I was told to go through the manufacturer if it is still in warranty. I tried to call Cuisinart customer service but the wait time was such I used their website and sent an email per their instructions. That was this morning. It is now evening here and I've had no response. If I'm asked to return the entire unit to Cuisinart on my dime I think I'll just trash it and consider it a lesson learned.
etexlady

Postby etexlady » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Fair warning, do not buy a Cuisinart brand single serve coffee maker. Customer service is poor. For warranty service, they expect the owner to return the entire machine (not just the kcup holder like Keurig does) and to pay shipping both ways plus $10 "handling" for them to look at the machine and decide if there really is a problem. I just put the Cuisinart machine back in the box and put it in the garage since I'm not paying $50 or more in shipping with no assurance that the machine will be repaired. Went to BBB and bought a Keurig B40. Should of done that in the first place.
etexlady

Postby jbviau » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:31 pm

^^^ Sorry to hear it. Wow, sounds like Sam's Club pales in comparison to Costco concerning warranty support on brewers. Right, I've found Cuisinart a pain to deal with in the past, too. If anything should go wrong with your B40, BBB will have your back.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby j99a02 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:12 am

My Cuisinart SS-700 has developed very serious issues. WHEN is decides to attempt to brew it just pulls the water from the reservoir and then returns it back through the white spout at the top of the water reservoir and it never sends it to the cup. Is there advice, other than return the item, that anyone may offer
j99a02

Postby jar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 am

j99a02 wrote:My Cuisinart SS-700 has developed very serious issues. WHEN is decides to attempt to brew it just pulls the water from the reservoir and then returns it back through the white spout at the top of the water reservoir and it never sends it to the cup. Is there advice, other than return the item, that anyone may offer

Check for a blocked upper needle.
jar

PreviousNext

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines