Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Trouble With My Cuisinart SS-700

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Trouble With My Cuisinart SS-700

Postby jbviau » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:30 am

doc.mosi wrote:Funny,

I ran across this thread because my SS-700 is shorting on some brews lately. It's less than a year old. Bought Christmas 2010.

Wecome, doc. Sorry to hear it.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby jswilson64g » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:09 am

Just going to chime in here with my experience. We bought an SS-700 in April 2011, after going through 3 (or was it 4) Keurig "Elite" machines. Each would do the same thing - it would last about a year and a half, then fail (outside the warranty period). My wife and I each only drink one cup a day, so it's not like we're running them into the ground. We use the "My K-Cup" with locally-bought coffee (ground as coarse as we can get) rather than buy k-cups.

We bought the SS-700 hoping that with a 3-year warranty, Cuisinart would have improved the machine. It is quieter than our Keurig branded machines, so that's good. But here's the bad: It's VERY inconsistent about whether it wants to work. It worked fine for maybe 3 months, then started flaking out. It would brew one cup, then not do anything on the next. Or it would give a VERY short cup on the first cup, and work fine on the 2nd. It got to the point where I would run a "rinse" or "hot water" before I would bother to fix up a My-K-Cup full of coffee. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 cycles before it gives a full cup.

Then yesterday, it refused to work at all. I tried shutting it off, re-seating the tank, removed the water filter, etc. I kept trying to get ANY water to come out of it, until finally, after about 45 minutes of trying (good thing I'm off work this week) it spit out some water. Sometime during all the struggling, the "Descale" indicator came on. Then it went off. Then it came on again several power cycles later. So I descaled it yesterday, and replaced the water filter. (By the way, why does Cuisinart have to insist on a DIFFERENT water filter than the Keurig branded ones? One that costs quite a bit more per filter?) It has worked fine since then.

I really don't know what to do at this point. We're in for 200 bucks on this thing, and if we send it in, all we're going to get is another SS-700 back. My wife was ready to go out and buy a small Mr. Coffee yesterday.
jswilson64g

Postby jbviau » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 am

Welcome. Where did you buy your Cuisinart? Hopefully somewhere local. If you've had enough and want to try your luck with another machine, you might consider returning the SS-700 to the store you bought it from rather than going through the manufacturer.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Bobbie54 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Are you descaling on a regular basis or only when it says to? If you have water high in scale it could need it more often. I have had one since around Feb 1 and have de-scaled three times. Twice with vinegar, the last time with some kind of stuff they sell (which, IMO, was not easier than vinegar despite reports to the contrary.) knock on wood, but no problems yet.
Bobbie54

Postby mikec_j » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:22 am

Hey Guys just wanted to pass along some info I picked up (I forget where) apparently an air lock forms in the lines of these machines so if you remove the tank then tilt the machine to one side or the other it clears, this seemed to fix the "not brewing anything" for me I still get the short draws every now and then though. Hope this helps.
mikec_j

Postby zadig » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 pm

mikec_j wrote:Hey Guys just wanted to pass along some info I picked up (I forget where) apparently an air lock forms in the lines of these machines so if you remove the tank then tilt the machine to one side or the other it clears, this seemed to fix the "not brewing anything" for me I still get the short draws every now and then though. Hope this helps.

thanks of for this tip!!
I was getting a little crazy with my SS-700...
it's the second one this year... I changed the first one after 2-3 months because it wouldn't brew or would take a few tries to brew the first cup...
the second one was perfect... but started having problems 1 month ago... I literally had to slam a few times this machine to get it working...
after the first cup, it looks like to be working fine... but if I let it cool down a few hours, it will eventually give me the same problem...

the tilt trick fixed the problem for today... will see in the next few days if it's better and if I have to do it each day...
zadig

Postby jbviau » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 pm

^^^ Welcome. Fingers crossed!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Cafezilla » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi all!

I found these forums while troubleshooting my SS-700. I bought it three weeks ago and it's been brewing erratically for the past week. Before buying I researched it and found the problems, so I was careful to never remove the water tank and never let it go too low, to prevent air bubbles. I also only use filtered water in it, so no scaling.

It occasionally draws in the water but then only brews a tiny amount. Sometimes afterward its screen will even go wonky, with the rinse button not lit and only the 12 oz option available to brew. I have tried unplugging it and reseating the water tank, all the suggestions, and it's still randomly not brewing a full cup.

I'm going to exchange it. This is why I bought it at a place that guaranteed a three year over the counter exchange warranty. I really hope that they fix this problem!
Cafezilla

Postby jar » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:29 pm

^^^ Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell but keep us posted.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby Don-K » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi,

We've had similar problems and as a result, I unplug our unit each night and plug it back in the next morning. I think this provides the unit a "Power On" reset which puts settings at their "default" conditions. It seems to work better when I do that. We love the unit but have had to exchange it for a new one to get one that works correctly. We also get water under the drip pan, which seems to be coming from inside the unit.

Don-K
Don-K

Postby jbviau » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:47 pm

^^^ Welcome. Sorry to hear it!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby blairman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:53 am

Technology is grand, we buy the latest and greatest, then join a forum to look for help with dealing with our purchase.....
bought a ss-700, refurbished, off ebay, i am not questioning the seller or whether the product was junk or not. I have bought refurb stuff before, and usually it is new products repackaged to sell at a lower price point. This ss-700 surely appeard new in all ways. packaging did say refurb.
tried to run a brew 6 times last night, pumps would run, water lever in full resevoir did not go down, after the pumps stopped, and about 3 or 4 minutes, a sharp puff from the return to resevoir spigot, a couple of drips, and back to not ready. went to bed, denied!
this morning, i plugged it back in, same deal 2 times. tried to unplug the power cord with delay, 2 more times, then some satisfaction, limited, but some, a louder pump ran, and the water level in the resevoir dropped several inches, then i could hear the sound of water heating.....the sound coffee makers make as the element heats up. then the same puff, dribble, not ready, (the coffee maker, I was ready)
then I got on the computer and found this forum and that consumers reports had mislead me into believing that this was a quality machine! I read the trick about restarting it with the resevoir off, and then putting it on. i tried that.....more boiling water sounds.......all of a sudden a stream of very hot water, 10 ounces, i am guessing, pours out of the return spigot into the resevoir. If that water just could have decided to go thru the needle, i would be satisfied!
unplugged again, wait a minute, remove the resevoir, plug it back in, turn it on, it asks for the water, put the resevoir back on, hear the water heating, open the head, close the head, all the buttons light up, I push the rinse button, and OMG! hot water pours out the hole where I pray to have coffee come out of! I jump up, sending the chair across the room, crush my cigarette out on the counter and fumble for a K-cup! I open the head, and ram it home!
Slap the head closed, select 10 oz, push brew, and said 7 Hail Mary's. Son of a b*%@#! out pours coffee! I am enjoying some wonderful Caribou coffee as I type this.
Friends, Is it this hard to get a single serving of coffee? I have a Cusinart grind and brew, that once i gave up on the grind part, turned into an awesome coffee maker. i was just hoping to not have to make a pot just for myself. I have read most of this thread and do not have much hope for the future of this ss-700. I have 2 Kuerig commercial machines at work, and customers and staff all use them continuously, with no problems.
My ss-700 healed itself over 20 or so tries to get something out of the pour spout. I will try again this afternoon. y'all say a prayer for me. Thanks
Blairman
blairman

Postby jar » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:30 am

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. And enjoy your machine.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby TAB » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:19 pm

I recently purchased our coffee maker as a Christmas gift and it was working fine until today. I found the following thread worked for me posted by:

by mikec_j » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:22 am

Hey Guys just wanted to pass along some info I picked up (I forget where) apparently an air lock forms in the lines of these machines so if you remove the tank then tilt the machine to one side or the other it clears, this seemed to fix the "not brewing anything" for me I still get the short draws every now and then though. Hope this helps.mikec_j

I unplugged the coffee maker, removed the tank, tilted the coffee maker back & forth, side to side, reattached the full water reservoir, and noticed that when I removed the stick with the filter on the bottom that many large air bubbles surfaced. When I turned it back on, I ran it through a couple more brews & rinses and now, it is back to pouring out the proper amount of water based on whatever size serving I select. Weird, but worked! Thank you :)
TAB

Postby jbviau » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 pm

^^^ Welcome. Glad you've got the machine working again!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

PreviousNext

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines