Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Pulse size/settings for OPOD + Bunn (in oz.)

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Postby jbviau » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:22 am

EricBNC wrote:I am sorry if the wording of my post gave the appearance of talking down to you - I am sure you know more about the machine than I do. That section of the manual describes the process I used better than I could, so instead of re-inventing the wheel, I cut, pasted, and highlighted. I apologize again to you for not clarifying this. :oops:

No, not at all! No worries, and no need to apologize. I understand now. Those instructions might be helpful to others reading the thread, so thanks.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re:

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:17 am

jbviau wrote:
dsharp88 wrote:That was cool, Josh. Has anyone done this with the Bunn yet? If not, I'll give it a try after mine arrives next week.

I don't know, actually. Go for it!

Well, since I have a Bunn My Cafe now (MCP high-altitude), I was able to check how much coffee you get per pulse using this machine myself. I'll copy the results I got originally with my OPOD below this post for easy comparison.

Let's start with the 8-oz. drop. The Bunn's tea setting gives you 3.5 pulses at 8 oz., so of course these pulses are longer and less frequent than the OPOD's. Here's the skinny:

3.5 pulses - 7.86 oz. (+0.70)
3 pulses - 7.16 oz. (+2.78)
2 pulses - 4.38 oz. (+2.80)
1 pulse - 1.58 oz.

In the future, I'll be interested in figuring out how many pulses you get for the other drop sizes (from 4 to 12 oz.) and how these "pulse per drop" figures compare to the same data for Bunn's new My Cafe Home.

jbviau wrote:The tea setting on the OPOD gives you 7 pulses in a full cycle, and you can easily stop it short in between pulses by pressing the brew button. For each number of pulses below, I brewed a separate pod and then weighed the coffee in oz. using a digital scale.

I don't know if anyone besides me will find this interesting/useful, but here goes!

7 pulses - 8.22 oz. (+1.38)
6 pulses - 6.84 oz. (+1.20)
5 pulses - 5.64 oz. (+1.30)
4 pulses - 4.34 oz. (+1.34)
3 pulses - 3.00 oz. (+1.20)
2 pulses - 1.80 oz. (+1.30)
1 pulse - 0.50 oz.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Re: default OPOD drop sizes (in oz.)

Postby jar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:59 am

Remember. the number of pulses with an OPOD also varies between models.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Re: Pulse size/settings for OPOD + Bunn (in oz.)

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:59 am

Edited the title just now to more accurately reflect what this thread's about!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:01 am

jar wrote:Remember. the number of pulses with an OPOD also varies between models.

Really? Have a link?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:37 am

jbviau wrote:
jar wrote:Remember. the number of pulses with an OPOD also varies between models.

Really? Have a link?

Have a Gen 1 machine. Let me check.

Light, no initial pulse, just straight through.
Medium, one initial pulse then straight through.
Bold, one initial pulse, short pause and four additional pulses.
Tea, one initial pulse, longer pause and four additional pulses.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby starryeyes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:57 am

I counted the pulses on the Bunn My Cafe Home. I used a 12g. ogopogo pod and 9 oz of water. I usually use 8 for this but I wanted to see what would happen. I got 9 pulses when using 9 oz. Next time I'll use a 10 g. pod and 7 oz and see. I wonder if it will give me 7 pulses and if it dispenses 1 oz/pulse. My experiment shall continue. :)
Bunn My Cafe Home, Nespresso Lattissima +, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II, Tassimo T46, Jura Micro Ena 9
Retired: Keurig B66, Nespresso Le Cube, Dolce Gusto Piccolo, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II (donating to my niece)
starryeyes

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:14 pm

jar wrote:
jbviau wrote:

Really? Have a link?

Have a Gen 1 machine. Let me check.

Light, no initial pulse, just straight through.
Medium, one initial pulse then straight through.
Bold, one initial pulse, short pause and four additional pulses.
Tea, one initial pulse, longer pause and four additional pulses.

Well that's news to me. Very interesting. Thanks!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:15 pm

starryeyes wrote:I counted the pulses on the Bunn My Cafe Home. I used a 12g. ogopogo pod and 9 oz of water. I usually use 8 for this but I wanted to see what would happen. I got 9 pulses when using 9 oz. Next time I'll use a 10 g. pod and 7 oz and see. I wonder if it will give me 7 pulses and if it dispenses 1 oz/pulse. My experiment shall continue. :)

Awesome. That's a big change from the commercial units. Can you taste the difference (if any)?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby starryeyes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 pm

jbviau wrote:
starryeyes wrote:I counted the pulses on the Bunn My Cafe Home. I used a 12g. ogopogo pod and 9 oz of water. I usually use 8 for this but I wanted to see what would happen. I got 9 pulses when using 9 oz. Next time I'll use a 10 g. pod and 7 oz and see. I wonder if it will give me 7 pulses and if it dispenses 1 oz/pulse. My experiment shall continue. :)

Awesome. That's a big change from the commercial units. Can you taste the difference (if any)?

Not really but I've been kind of ignoring the commercial brewer and using the My Cafe Home today. I still have to look through my stash of pods for my side to side test using the tea buttons. I just poured myself a coffee without using the pulse and it tastes pretty fantastic as well. The longer I'm using this brewer the more I'm loving it.
Bunn My Cafe Home, Nespresso Lattissima +, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II, Tassimo T46, Jura Micro Ena 9
Retired: Keurig B66, Nespresso Le Cube, Dolce Gusto Piccolo, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II (donating to my niece)
starryeyes

Postby starryeyes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:44 pm

I used a flavoured pod and 7 oz of water this time and it pulsed 6 times. Interesting.
starryeyes

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:41 pm

This is still pretty close to 1-oz. pulses. Not worried about flavor transferring to your non-flavored coffees down the road, or did you get a spare pod drawer?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby starryeyes » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:01 am

No I just have the one pod drawer. I never thought about flavour transfer. I should use the commercial brewer for the flavoured pods. I don't drink alot of flavoured coffees. Just when I'm in the mood. I don't have any boxes but just samples. I have all those single flavoured pods to get through so I'll be busy for awhile.
starryeyes

Postby jbviau » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Back to the issue of "pulses per ounce" with the Bunn My Cafe Home (or MCH), below is a summary of what I found. These data were gathered from water-only brew cycles, but I doubt results would differ if I wasted a bunch of pods to gather them. The (short) designation indicates a partial pulse, i.e. one cut short at the end of the brew cycle. I didn't count the little puff of air you seem to get at the very end as a pulse. What I see is an average pulse of a little under 1.5 oz. that doesn't seem to vary according to total volume of water dispensed. Does this seem about right to those of you who have this new(ish) machine?

(drop size in oz. - # pulses)
4 oz. - 3
5 oz. - 4 (short)
6 oz. - 4
7 oz. - 5 (short)
8 oz. - 6 (short)
9 oz. - 7 (short)
10 oz. - 8 (short)
11 oz. - 8
12 oz. - 9 (short)
13 oz. - 10 (short)
14 oz. - 10
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Previous

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines