Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Temperature of Keurig B66

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Temperature of Keurig B66

Postby mzanca » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:55 am

Hello! I'm back again with another question about my new Keurig B66 from Costco, or I should say my second. I thought my first machine was not brewing the coffee hot enough. So I decided to get another machine and test that one. It did seem like the second one made a hotter cup but now I don't know if it is too hot! Am I crazy here or what? (Be nice everyone. :oops:) Anyway, I actually used a cooking thermometer and obviously if the glass was already preheated from the last cup the hotter the temp. was. At no time was it 192 degrees which is the default on the machine but I did get to read around 180 degrees. There wasn't a big difference in either machine. They did seem close in temp. but when I made a cup there did seem to be a difference. Now I don't know what to do! One seems too cool and the other too hot! (No Goldilocks jokes please!) A little feedback and or advice would be helpful and much appreciated. Thanks!

---Meredith
mzanca

Re: Temperature of Keurig B66

Postby VydorScope » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:11 am

mzanca wrote:At no time was it 192 degrees which is the default on the machine but I did get to read around 180 degrees. There wasn't a big difference in either machine. They did seem close in temp.

Well, 192 temp is the temp of the water IN the machine, not in your cup. It will cool as brews. So the output coffee will be less then 192.
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby NDJollyMon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:16 am

Some people run a cycle of hot water through to the cup first. This pre-heats all the plumbing...and pre-heats the cup too. Dump it and run your coffee cycle. I bet you will be more satisfied with the results.
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby mzanca » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:19 am

I realize the temp won't be 192 but on both machines they were only about 170 or so unless the glass was heated. I actually thought the taste of the one that was less hot was better but it wasn't hot enough. Should I get rid of both? I was going to keep the one that I thought made the coffee hotter but not sure what to do. Any advice? Thanks!
mzanca

Postby jar » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:52 pm

mzanca wrote:I realize the temp won't be 192 but on both machines they were only about 170 or so unless the glass was heated. I actually thought the taste of the one that was less hot was better but it wasn't hot enough. Should I get rid of both? I was going to keep the one that I thought made the coffee hotter but not sure what to do. Any advice? Thanks!

One difference I have always found is that the Keurig does produce a cooler cup of coffee than my pod machines.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby agentfive » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Try and take the temp at the brew head - you'll find it's as hot as promised there. but at the cup - it's almost 15 degrees or more cooler. Our review of the tassimo today shows similar results.
- Jay Brewer
- Editor, Single Serve Coffee
- Current arsenal: Dolce Gusto, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, GPOD, OPOD, Keurig B40, B50, B60, B70, & Assorted (N)espresso Machines...
agentfive
Site Admin

temp!?!?

Postby coffeesteve » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:16 am

I'm also on my 2nd Keurig, but the 1st had an electrical glitch. I know it cools on the way out, and I've found room temperature can really effect the cup holding the coffee. I tried warming cup with hot tap water, microwave, running first cycle, but in my situation, I add 1/2 and 1/2 which of course will significantly drop temp. I usually run out the door with it, and I know this goes against the grain of every connisseuer of fine coffee, but I hold onto my midday coffee cup (foam) purchased in the marketplace, and once coffee is brewed and condiments added, I throw into microwave for 25-30 seconds, and it works/tastes great! Most double-walled coffee mugs(plastic) are not mic-able, and coffee in a stainless steel mug that's the right temp. always burns me because for some reason metal at optimum coffee temp. is way too hot for my tender lips! Hope this is helpful.
I can't emphasize this additional tip enough though. Use k-cup for 2 small cycles to make one large/outstanding cup of Java. IMO, it's the best cup!!!!

Coffeesteve
Keurig B-60
Coffee people black tiger/Wake-up call
coffeesteve

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines