Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Taxed in Canada?

Talk about anything coffee related. Let others know your innermost coffee thoughts.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Taxed in Canada?

Postby Cookie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Curious if anyone else has experienced this....

Last Night I bought an assorted pile of K-Cups from Sears.ca (they had assorted Timothys, GM, and Van H 18 packs on sale last night for 9.79 each) - so I bought 14 different varieties from what they had.

Amongst the batch was the Timothy's Kahlua and Green Mountain Hot Chocolate. The rest were all coffies and a couple of teas.

When I got the confirmation email from Sears... I noticed 3 dollars in HST/GST tax. I called Sears and they informed me that the Kahlua and the Hot Chocolate are considered "SNACKS" by the Govt. and therefore are taxable.... the coffee and tea was not... I argued but to no advail.

Anyone else been taxed on these elsewhere?
Cookie

Re: Taxed in Canada?

Postby jbviau » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Bummer. Would non-k-cup hot chocolate be taxed too? That one I can almost understand, but the Timothy's Kahlua mostly contains coffee. It does seem arbitrary if flavoring alone makes coffee a "snack." And not even a *good* snack either... 8)
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby GmanJenks » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:45 pm

A lot of it would be a determination of your provincial government. The federal gov't views coffee as a tax and duty free grocery item. I don't think adding flavouring changes this at all. I would contact another Canadian and ask what they charge.
GmanJenks

Postby asilberb » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:20 am

I would dispute this. When a Sears employee at a store wanted to tax me on Kcups I asked to speak to the manager. The manager at Sears told the employee that if a food item needed preparation before it could be consumed the item is tax free. The manager said that since a Kcup requires adding water to it before it can be consumed all Kcups are tax fee.
asilberb

Return to Coffee Talk