Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Tassimo leaking during heating cycle?

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Tassimo leaking during heating cycle?

Postby sigh » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:59 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Tassimo machine in an attempt to keep my sanity during a major renovation (6 months without a stove means 6 months without at home espresso or lattes...noooooo!).

So far the machine has been doing what I hoped it would do, which is providing me with lattes on demand. However, each and every time I use the machine the base where the cup rests fills up with water during the heating cycle. I followed the instructions for preparing the machine for use & tried all of the troubleshooting tips the manual lists for this sort of thing but it still continues to happen. The water does not come from the top part (where the T discs & piercing unit) are but from somewhere behind the backsplash. And this water is HOT.

Is this normal or do I have a defective unit? And if not normal, has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks very much,

Nina
sigh

Postby Bucfanmike » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:06 pm

Mine does purge water into the base, under the cup. I dump it after every fews cup we brew. It is my understanding this is normal for the tassimo. Now it shouldnt be filling up after every cup you brew. If that is the case then i would say something is wrong.
Hi, Im Mike and I have an addiction...
i have tried them all and ended up with:
Nespresso Romeo E350,
Grindmaster OPOD, Toddy Cold Press, Cuisinart ss-1
and now home roasting with HG/BM method
Bucfanmike

Postby jsgossamer » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:02 pm

Yes, this is perfectly normal. I say I get maybe 1/2 a teaspoon of water after each cup I make.
Jeannine

Krups 1010 (at Mom's now)
Tassimo
Keurig B50
jsgossamer

Postby Bucfanmike » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:14 pm

I know there was a post about this earlier, but i would also add that because of this, and the way the disks leave drips when they are removed, this is the messiest machine i own.

How does everyone clean the inside of this. By that i mean after you remove the disk holder and you can see back by the hinge area? This area is very inaccesible and looks like it has gunk buildup.

Thanks
Hi, Im Mike and I have an addiction...
i have tried them all and ended up with:
Nespresso Romeo E350,
Grindmaster OPOD, Toddy Cold Press, Cuisinart ss-1
and now home roasting with HG/BM method
Bucfanmike

Postby sigh » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks!

I called Tassimo, which I probably should have done in the first place. They said that this is indeed normal, the machine is purging whatever old water is in it's system as it takes in fresh water for the new cup. I definitely get more than half a teaspoon's worth, though. Enough to fill up the base and overflow.

Mind you, I've been brewing the lattes right into travel mugs and so have been doing this with both the silver & black part of the base removed since the mug is too tall to fit otherwise. Supposedly the black part of the base will catch any water that trickles out (if installed correctly).

Mike, my Tassimo hasn't been in use long enough to have any sort of build up but I would think that Q tips and/or a toothbrush would be able to take care of cleaning the hinge area. I've become a master at cleaning sippy cups & valves, I doubt that the Tassimo will defeat me! I'll check out the hinge area tonight & see if I can come up with any ideas.

So far I actually find the Tassimo very easy to clean. We have a commercial Keurig machine at work & while it's wonderful to be able to get a fresh cup of the coffee of your choice on demand it's practically impossible to get that beast clean enough if you want tea instead.

Thanks again,

Nina
sigh

Postby tassimofan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:48 pm

By that i mean after you remove the disk holder and you can see back by the hinge area? This area is very inaccesible and looks like it has gunk buildup.

Hmmm... I don't have any gunk on mine (just went back to check it actually since you brought it up). But I'd say anything small like someone else suggested a q-tip would work fine. I can't imagine what would gunk that up though unless you had a t-disk explosion or something of that nature?
tassimofan

Postby huff » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:01 pm

The cup holder should not fill up with water. Just a few teaspoons worth per cup brewed. You can see exactly where this comes from by removing the cup holder and look on the back right hand side. The cup holder has a lip that inserts into a hole in the back guard plate.

I don't have any gunk build up. It's just water and it drains into the cup holder which I dump out now and then.
huff

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines