Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Stronger Coffee

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Stronger Coffee

Postby eslamberson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 am

We recently bought the B70 Keurig. We have a big variety of coffee K cups but they are all too weak :( . We would like to have the K cups and not fill our own - if we have to do that, we might as well go back to the drip coffee maker.
Is there a K cup brand that makes stronger coffee? We have tried some of the Xtra Bold, no luck. What brand of Xtra Bold is stronger? I am tired of paying $8 for hundreds of K cups and not likeing any of them. Thanks ESL
eslamberson

Re: Stronger Coffee

Postby jar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:25 am

First, what size drop are you using?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Welcome! Check out this recent thread on the same topic: help-strong-coffee-wanted-t8257.html

Also, here's a repost of some info. re: how much coffee is in the different types of k-cups (all weights are pre-brew averages...subtract ~4 grams for packaging):

Typical k-cups: 13 grams
Extra bold k-cups: 15 grams
"Travel mug" k-cups: 17 grams
Barista Prima k-cups: ~17.5 grams (include extra packaging though in the form of plastic flow restrictors under the filters)
revv: 18 grams
"Brew Over Ice" k-cups: 18 grams
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby sweaner » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 pm

The boldest K-cups I have used have been Van Houtte Eclipse, Gloria Jean's Black Gold, and Coffee People Jet Fuel. That being said, I drink all at 6 oz except the Eclipse, that I drink at 8 oz.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby JonDeutsch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 pm

eslamberson wrote:We recently bought the B70 Keurig. We have a big variety of coffee K cups but they are all too weak :( . We would like to have the K cups and not fill our own - if we have to do that, we might as well go back to the drip coffee maker.
Is there a K cup brand that makes stronger coffee? We have tried some of the Xtra Bold, no luck. What brand of Xtra Bold is stronger? I am tired of paying $8 for hundreds of K cups and not likeing any of them. Thanks ESL

Hey there,

I feel your pain! While some brewers do make stronger coffee than the Keurig, there is now quite a decent assortment of strong, bold brews for your Keurig. The strongest generally have the most coffee in them :), and there are a few gradations, ranging from Extra Bold (note that Coffee People k-cups are all Extra Bold even though they don't explicitly say it on the label), to Travel Size (available primarily at GreenMountainCoffee.com and Keurig.com), to the new Barista Line (again, only available directly from GMCR & Keurig). The Barista line is interesting because, as said above, they include not only a lot more coffee but some additional hardware inside the k-cup to presumably make the coffee richer and bolder than other k-cups. Highly recommend them, as well as the Travel Size French Roast.

Specifically, I can also recommend the Green Mountain Espresso Blend -- it's rich, strong and silky-sweet. A great combo!

My recommendation is to never buy an 18-24 k-cup pack without trying them in advance. And you can do so by going to keurig.com, where they offer almost every single type of coffee in a 5-pack sample size. No, that's not the cheapest route initially, but I'd rather spend a little more to try than to buy k-cups I don't like.

Jon
Coffee admirer and enjoyer. Switched from drip to single-serve (Breville BKC-700XL) in 2010. Always on the look-out for bold & rich, not weak and watery. And that's not limited to coffee. :)
JonDeutsch

Postby Renaldow » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:34 am

Try the Barista cups, and Coffee People's Black Tiger and Jet Fuel. Green Mountain's AA Kenya, Sumatra and most of their other darks are good too.

Also, remember that extra bold doesn't mean dark, it just means more coffee in the kcup. Buy dark roast and extra bold, and you'll find some you like. If you just buy extra bold, you can get a lot of medium and other coffees that, in my opinion, are still to weak and tasteless.
Renaldow

Postby eqshadimar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:51 pm

I had this same question while I was using the k cups that came with my brewer. I just kept thinking this is a neat little machine but the coffee is weak tasting. Then I got some Green Mountain's Sumatra K-Cups and I finally have coffee that tastes like I used to make with my normal coffee maker (which is a good thing :) ). I don't consider myself a gourmet coffee drinker or anything but I do like a strong tasting cup o' coffee.

Laters,
Jeff
eqshadimar

Postby jbviau » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Welcome, Jeff!
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Alice2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:38 pm

sweaner wrote:The boldest K-cups I have used have been Van Houtte Eclipse, Gloria Jean's Black Gold, and Coffee People Jet Fuel. That being said, I drink all at 6 oz except the Eclipse, that I drink at 8 oz.

Those may be extra bold, but bold is bold; dark is dark. Extra bold can be medium roast too, but I haven't seen one in a light roast.

My suggestion is go with 8-oz, never more, and try the Van Houtte Columbian Medium :D (well, they also have a dark if you like dark.)

I had the same problem early on, trying many different K-Cups and finding *** MOST *** of them to feel watery-weak.

(I am posting before finishing reading the other posts, so my apologies if I am parroting what someone else already said) The term "Extra Bold" refers to more coffee being in the K-Cup, not to how dark the roast is.

My first batch of K-Cups included Van Houtte Eclipse. That coffee was astonishingly dark, I swear it smelled and tasted like liquid rubber tire. I contend that is the darkest K-cup in the universe, but I haven't tried the Coffee People Jet Fuel. (Just doesn't sound like something I would want to swallow . . . . :shock: )
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby jbviau » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Alice2 wrote:Extra bold can be medium roast too, but I haven't seen one in a light roast.

There are a few light roast EBs, e.g. GM's Donut House and Tully's Breakfast Blend.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Alice2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:05 am

Ah, GM Donut House sounds interesting then. I will try it one of these days. I have long ago tried Tully's Breakfast Blend and did not like it.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby ryandaugherty » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Highly recommend Timothy's Parisian Nights as one of the darkest and best cups out there. Also Coffee People (Black Tiger, Jet Fuel); GM Espresso Blend, Double Black Diamond.
ryandaugherty

Postby MichFan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:18 pm

The Barista Prima KCups are among the strongest KCups available, with Italian and French being my favorites. These will make a strong 8oz. drop coffee and hold up very well to the 10oz. drop as well. I recently was able to try coffee made using the Solofill device, I was impressed with the improved mouthfeel of the coffee (e.g., felt a little thicker in the mouth whereas KCups tend to be more watery) but didn't find it to be much stronger than what an Extra Bold KCup produces.
MichFan

Postby taltos » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:46 pm

I agree with the Eclipse and will suggest Emeril's Bold and Dark and Green Mountain's Double Black Diamond and Dark Magic. These should fuel your strong coffee jones.
taltos

Postby sjevan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:55 pm

For bold K-cup, try Double Black Diamond! Here's a link:
http://www.keurig.com/coffee/double-bla ... -k-cup-gmc
sjevan

Next

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews