Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Solofill Reusable K-Cup

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Solofill Reusable K-Cup

Postby jbviau » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:49 am

netfootin wrote:Hi gang...I haven't seen whether the Solofill works with a Cuisinart Keurig brewer. Just making sure before I purchase. Thank you

Welcome!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby Shripe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:39 pm

I actually came across this thread late, i.e. after I made my B40 Elite + My K-Cup purchase at Kohl's. Sadly returning the My K-Cup would make me lose not only $10 in Kohls Cash but also an extra 5% in savings (brewer + My K-Cup + another unrelated item got me to a net total of $106, netting me 20% off), so I guess I'm stuck with it. I might as well try an experiment or two with both, if there's nothing that's not already been proven in this thread. :) Tempted to pick a Solofill up, as they'll be back with Amazon tomorrow, and I can pick it up without worrying about paying out the money for shipping when I snag an Amazon Prime trial.
Paul
B40 Elite Owner since 12/25/2010
My Reviews
Shripe

I'm having issues with the Solofill. help!

Postby Lily » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Ok so I recently got a Keurig B40 and today I received the Solofill. I ordered it after reading the positive reviews here, because k-cups get really expensive with time and because they're not too eco-friendly.. Anyway... I'm on my fifth attempt at brewing a good cup with the solofill and I'm getting frustrated. The first time I tried actually wasn't all that bad, except that the brewing was really slow. Then I figured, maybe I tapped it too much. I tried four more times, sometimes just filling the solofill up to the line, sometimes actually weighing 11 grams. Every single time water leaked in the cup and on my countertop. After my 4th attempt I actually read this thread again and noted how someone's solofill was missing the downward facing hole. I checked mine and indeed the hole wasn't punctured. So I pierced it with a needle, hoping that would finally fix the problem. Nope, water still leaked. I'm using pretty plain coffee for these tests; Melita preground Traditional blend. What am I doing wrong? I find that the cover doesn't seem to close hermetically. Is that the issue, is it supposed to be tightly sealed?
Lily

Postby jbviau » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Welcome! Yes, the seal should be tight (with o-ring). If it's not, the Solofill could need replacing. Also, make sure the grind isn't too fine.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Lily » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks. I tried one last time, really trying to press down firmly on the lid to make it close properly and it just won't seal tight; water leaked again. I will ask for a replacement.
Lily

Postby alpha-alpha » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Lily,
Does your Solofill close tightly without any coffee grounds in it? By that, I mean the cap seals firmly in the cup and you have to pry it open gently with your finger nail. If so, my guess would be too finely ground coffee. Do you have some other grounds to try? I find that if I put too many grounds into the cup, I will get a short pull.

I think the downward facing hole between the 8 slots is just a red herring, because it is so small compared to the slots. Maybe Solofill can weigh in on this, if they are listening.
alpha-alpha

Re: I'm having issues with the Solofill. help!

Postby alpha-alpha » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Lily wrote:I tried four more times, sometimes just filling the solofill up to the line, sometimes actually weighing 11 grams.

Read your post again. When loading the Solofill, try staying about 1/8 inch below the line and see if that works. I never fill mine up to the line and generally have good results. Try to knock any stray grounds off the lip of the cup so they don't interfere with the seal.
alpha-alpha

Postby snowrs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:50 am

Would the solo fill allow a keurig to do justice to some really premium coffee such as Paradise Roasters, or any of the Coffee Review 94+ or would it be wasting good coffee.
snowrs

Postby Lily » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:36 am

alpha-alpha wrote:Lily,
Does your Solofill close tightly without any coffee grounds in it? By that, I mean the cap seals firmly in the cup and you have to pry it open gently with your finger nail.

No, even when empty it doesn't close properly. You can really see the gap between the cup and the lid, about 0.50 or 0.75 millimeters, enough so that the water can escape through there (sorry, not that familiar with the imperial system).

I really don't think the size of the grounds is an issue, given that this is a ground for drip machines. In any case, I know what espresso grounds look like, and that is not it. I was also careful to wipe off stray grounds from the top before closing it every time I tried.

I emailed the company about this. They responded very quickly and said they'll send a replacement.
Lily

Postby jbviau » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:10 am

snowrs wrote:Would the solo fill allow a keurig to do justice to some really premium coffee such as Paradise Roasters, or any of the Coffee Review 94+ or would it be wasting good coffee.

I'd lean much more toward the "wasting good coffee" side. There's just not enough water-coffee contact time, and you can't stuff all that much coffee in there to compensate (though you can fiddle with grind to some extent). But the Solofill will work in a pinch.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby TheCoffeeArtisan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:32 am

The cheapest option IMHO to do justice to that type of coffee is a Clever Coffee Dripper (CCD).

Chad
250+ Coffee and Tea Pods from The Coffee Artisan, Fratello, Cafejo, Reunion Island, Baronet, Solera, Organa, City Steam, Barnie's, JavaOne, Melitta and Wolfgang Puck
Bunn, Grindmaster and Baratza Equipment
The Coffee Artisan
TheCoffeeArtisan

Postby EricBNC » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:43 am

TheCoffeeArtisan wrote:The cheapest option IMHO to do justice to that type of coffee is a Clever Coffee Dripper (CCD).

Chad

While it certainly is not conclusive evidence, a post of mine reviewing an adapter using a very good whole bean coffee from Fratello comes to the same conclusion as Chad suggests.

ericbnc-s-e-z-cup-review-t7737.html
EricBNC

Postby alpha-alpha » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:00 am

snowrs wrote:Would the solo fill allow a keurig to do justice to some really premium coffee such as Paradise Roasters, or any of the Coffee Review 94+ or would it be wasting good coffee.

Ultimately, only you can answer that question for yourself. Undoubtedly, there are better ways to brew premium coffee than a Keurig and a Solofill.

Nonetheless, I grind a small amount of fresh beans(average quality) that will last me a few days and use the Solofill regularly now. It provides me with a much better cup of coffee than I can get from any off the shelf k-cup, in a hurry, with only a slight inconvenience. I end up saving a few cents, too.

Guess I find the trouble worth it for me. :)
alpha-alpha

Postby EricBNC » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 am

alpha-alpha wrote:

...I grind a small amount of fresh beans(average quality) that will last me a few days and use the Solofill regularly now. It provides me with a much better cup of coffee than I can get from any off the shelf k-cup, in a hurry, with only a slight inconvenience...

I am sure the results would be different if I picked a nice French roast - The nuances of a brighter, lighter roast premium coffee extract less efficiently than darker roasted beans using the Keurig. Please do not take this to mean the Keurig cannot make decent coffee because we know it can - this response is intended to provide info for the question quoted, not a broad generalization covering the merits of the platform. I am not sure where the Fratello Panama Diamond Mountain Esmeralda would rate on Coffee Review, but I know I have tried 94+ coffee that tastes different but not really any better. I think my quality detector is stuck on outstanding. :D
EricBNC

Postby MBee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Mine shipped out from Amazon on Monday and I should have it today according to the tracking info - can't wait to try it! I have several bags of coffee on the shelf from before I bought my Keurig/used a French press (which my husband still uses) that I am looking forward to using again.
MBee

PreviousNext

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews