Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Solofill Reusable K-Cup

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Solofill Reusable K-Cup

Postby EricBNC » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Yep. This is why I asked about the lid gasket and mentioned the "fill to here" line. Only way I can think of for the lid not to snap is a missing friction gasket or overfilling the container. I would try closing it while empty. If it snaps shut empty then the device is most likely not defective.
EricBNC

Postby dberkham » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:42 am

No, it doesn't snap shut when empty. Still a small gap in the back by the hinge. I ordered two so I'm going to open up the other one and see if I have the same problem with that one. Here is what Solofill sent me when I wrote to CS about the problem:

"With a brand new Solofill Cup, the hinge is not fully bent and flattened when closed. With the lid closed, please apply some pressure at the area near the hinge to fully close the lid down.

Also, rule of thumb is the more coffee and finer the grind, the more restricted the water flow will be. Below is our general guideline:

1. Avoid fine Espresso grind as this may result in clogging up of the filter screen. Try a coarser grind. (Tip: open an unused K-Cup and try to replicate this grind size or larger).

2. DO NOT tamp or pack down the coffee (this is important). Just fill with coffee then simply close the lid.

3. Try using less coffee. Do not overfill pass the indicated MAX FILL LEVEL.

Please give the above a try and let us know how it goes for you."

I'm going to try and pinch the back part down with a pliers to see if I can get it to close all the way.

Thanks guys for the input.
dberkham

Re: Solofill Reusable K-Cup back in stock and reviewed

Postby TomC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:11 am

jbviau wrote:^^^ Sorry to hear that, David.

TomC wrote:Finally a way I can use my Kona beans affordably 1 cup at a time (especially with the price increases)... the reason I purchased the Keurig in the first place.

Kona blend or 100% Kona? If the latter, you might also consider trying a cheap filtercone like the Clever Coffee Dripper for the sake of comparison. It gives you much more control over brew variables like amount of coffee, amount of water, water temp., and steep time, and it still passes your affordability test. Premium coffee deserves special treatment IMO!

Sorry, Josh, I didn'y specify here did I?
It's 100% Kona peaberry beans... I've considered the Clever Coffee Dripper in the past, but couldn't find specs on the suggested amount of coffee to be used. In general, how much coffee are you using to generate what output into the cup?

Tom
At Work: Bunn MCU, CBTL Kaldi, Aeroccino 3
At Home: Bunn MCU, Nespresso D-120 Citiz with milk, Francis-Francis X-7, Cuisinart DBM-8 grinder, Perfect Pod Maker, various vintage vac pots, French presses, auto drip pots, gadgets and manual pour-overs
TomC

Postby jbviau » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:12 am

Tom, I'd start with the specs on Sweet Maria's site and then experiment from there (http://www.sweetmarias.com/clevercoffee ... torial.php). You'll use slightly more coffee per 8-oz. cup with the CCD if you follow their recipe (scaling down, ~15-16 grams per 8 oz. rather than the ~11 grams you can fit into the Solofill), but you'll also get a much better cup IMO. Just an idea!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby dberkham » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:04 am

Solofill cup update-the first one I purchased just won't close, even with using a pliers. I've requested a replacement from Solofill. The second one does close tight. I had to poke a hole with a thumbtack in the nipple as suggested in the forum and I am using the grounds from a k-cup to experiment. Filling far below the fill line limit, not even one k-cup of coffee. First brew I am still getting leakage so I'm going to lower the seal ring on the Keurig piercing needle to see if that makes a difference, as I think the water is flowing over the top cap. I will update after this experiment.

David
dberkham

Postby dberkham » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 am

dberkham wrote:Solofill cup update-the first one I purchased just won't close, even with using a pliers. I've requested a replacement from Solofill. The second one does close tight. I had to poke a hole with a thumbtack in the nipple as suggested in the forum and I am using the grounds from a k-cup to experiment. Filling far below the fill line limit, not even one k-cup of coffee. First brew I am still getting leakage so I'm going to lower the seal ring on the Keurig piercing needle to see if that makes a difference, as I think the water is flowing over the top cap. I will update after this experiment.

David

Finally success-I found a plumbing store (A-Boy) who had the necessary O-Rings to do the modification that Sam came up with (bottom of page 4 of this thread) and it works perfectly. The brew came out without any leaks and really produced a quality cup. I can highly recommend Sam's method using the O-Rings on the top of the cover as a solution for anyone who is having leakage with their solofill. Thanks Sam for your excellent post. Here's a link to how Sam did it:http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blogs/kcup-solofill-mod-for-keurig.

I'm a happy camper now! :D
dberkham

Postby jbviau » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 am

Don't you have a B60, David? That machine is listed as compatible. Odd. Anyway, I guess it's all good now.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby dberkham » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Yes I do have a B60. Solofill CS first told me that the B60 had a history of pump problems. Then when I stated I had no pump problems with my B60 they stated

"For your B60, the rubber seal around the needle tends to get pushed back.
Many customers has this issue using Keurig's My K-Cup version. Keurig
Customer Service suggests for their customer to reach in and pull the rubber
seal around the needle down to ensure proper seal. Please be careful when
doing this as the needle is sharp."

I like Sam's solution much better as it doesn't involve reaching up to pull the rubber ring down every time I want to use the solofill. When using a regular k-cup, the rubber ring gets pushed back up again and they don't leak. Anyway, they are sending me a new one that has already shipped. Now, what should I put in my functioning Solofill? Hmmm....

I'm sure this forum will have lots of suggestions. Bring them on. :D
dberkham

Postby jbviau » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 am

Heading into Portland anytime soon? I think there's a Stumptown there.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby andymath » Sun May 01, 2011 10:23 am

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the solofill to brew a full cup when using freshly ground coffee? I've been trying off and on for a couple of months to get it to work properly, but I haven't been able to get consistent results. It works great with pre-ground coffee but when grinding my own it tends to brew slowly ending in a trickle and a short cup - usually about 6 oz. on the 8 oz. setting. I have tried a fine drip to a coarse grind and fill to just above the 4 fins as suggested in another article to allow room for the expansion.

I saw Eric mention above having great results with some fresh roasted and grinded beans - any suggestions?
andymath

Postby EricBNC » Sun May 01, 2011 11:21 am

andymath wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how to get the solofill to brew a full cup when using freshly ground coffee? I've been trying off and on for a couple of months to get it to work properly, but I haven't been able to get consistent results. It works great with pre-ground coffee but when grinding my own it tends to brew slowly ending in a trickle and a short cup - usually about 6 oz. on the 8 oz. setting. I have tried a fine drip to a coarse grind and fill to just above the 4 fins as suggested in another article to allow room for the expansion.

I saw Eric mention above having great results with some fresh roasted and grinded beans - any suggestions?

Hi andymath, I did get it working - what grinder are you using?
EricBNC

Postby Caine » Sun May 01, 2011 11:48 am

jbviau wrote:I guess because it's more like the My K-cup, with which it's directly compared on the Solofill site, in that it doesn't need a paper filter? The fact that Keurig/GMCR is wary here makes me curious! I see the Solofill is BPA-free, which people will like...

This sounds like a job for an attorney. It's like telling the local grocery store that, it you sell Pepsi, you will no longer be able to carry Coca Cola. It's just wrong!
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party
Caine

Postby sweaner » Sun May 01, 2011 1:05 pm

andymath wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how to get the solofill to brew a full cup when using freshly ground coffee? I've been trying off and on for a couple of months to get it to work properly, but I haven't been able to get consistent results. It works great with pre-ground coffee but when grinding my own it tends to brew slowly ending in a trickle and a short cup - usually about 6 oz. on the 8 oz. setting. I have tried a fine drip to a coarse grind and fill to just above the 4 fins as suggested in another article to allow room for the expansion.

You are probably grinding too fine or there are too many fines/dust in the grind. Try grinding coarser still. I note that when I use it, I only brew the 6 oz size.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby andymath » Sun May 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Eric - I am using a Virtuoso.

Sweaner - I'll keep trying to go coarser. I matched up my grind to the pre ground that was working well and have gone coarser from there without any luck. I like the Solofill but it sure is fussy about the grind it takes. I've even had some pre ground (Dunkin Donuts) that clogged up the screen although the grind did seem to be on the fine side.
andymath

Postby sweaner » Mon May 02, 2011 11:51 am

That grinder should be quite adequate. Is the center hole in the top of your Solofill open? Mine is not, but some have noted problems if it is not punctured.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

PreviousNext

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews