Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Question Regarding Grounds In My Mug After Brewing?

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Question Regarding Grounds In My Mug After Brewing?

Postby CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:23 am

Hi everyone,

Keurig noobie here with just a fast question:

I refilled the water in my B60 model's water reservoir earlier this evening and proceeded to made 2 cups of coffee only a few hours apart from each other. However when I finished drinking both cups I noticed a small amount of coffee grounds in my mug. How come? I assume this is not a serious problem right...or is it? I have never had this happen before in the approximately 3 weeks I have owned my machine and in the time I have owned my machine I have made ALOT of coffee already. I just was wondering why my mug is getting grounds in it....and is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Would running a quick brew (with no K-Cup in the machine) of just water fix this problem or is it something more serious? I just hope nothing is clogged or anything of that nature.

Hopefully one of you can let me know....happy brewing. :)
CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan

Re: Question Regarding Grounds In My Mug After Brewing?

Postby EricBNC » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:19 am

CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan wrote:Hi everyone,

Keurig noobie here with just a fast question:

I refilled the water in my B60 model's water reservoir earlier this evening and proceeded to made 2 cups of coffee only a few hours apart from each other. However when I finished drinking both cups I noticed a small amount of coffee grounds in my mug. How come?

Hopefully one of you can let me know....happy brewing. :)

Welcome to the forum. Are you washing your coffee cup on a regular basis?

Just kidding, we all know that's what the next cup of coffee is for. Seriously though, does this happen with every cup, or did you change your brand of K cup or add a new type to your rotation around the time you started noticing the grounds?
EricBNC

Postby CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:38 am

Well I just noticed this problem for the first time earlier tonight after making many cups in the 3 weeks or so I have owned my Keurig B60.

I made about 4 cups of coffee yesterday throughout the day. Two "Emeril Big Easy Bold's" and then the two Van Houtte French Vanillas in the evening which is when I started noticing the grounds.

I have been alternating between quite a few kinds of K-Cups each day since I have purchased my machine....but have never noticed any grounds in my coffee mug until now. 'Tis not a serious problem right? Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume that running a quick brew of just water (with no K-Cup in the machine) will flush out any excess grounds and fix everything.....yes?
CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan

Postby EricBNC » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:12 am

CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan wrote:Well I just noticed this problem for the first time earlier tonight after making many cups in the 3 weeks or so I have owned my Keurig B60.

I made about 4 cups of coffee yesterday throughout the day. Two "Emeril Big Easy Bold's" and then the two Van Houtte French Vanillas in the evening which is when I started noticing the grounds.

I have been alternating between quite a few kinds of K-Cups each day since I have purchased my machine....but have never noticed any grounds in my coffee mug until now. 'Tis not a serious problem right? Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume that running a quick brew of just water (with no K-Cup in the machine) will flush out any excess grounds and fix everything.....yes?

I guess running a water shot is a good place to start. If the little red gasket around the needle gets pushed up, that can allow some grounds to flow up out of the hole the needle punctures in the top of the k-cup and these strays can end up in the cup.

This needle gasket on my unit moves up or down easy enough. be careful around the sharp point and pull it down to cover more of the needle. The next cup you brew will adjust the needle back up if you get it too low initially. Cheers!
EricBNC

Postby ifonline » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:16 am

Look closely at the K-Cups you have. My guess is you have several (possibly all) that look a bit swollen. Check the foil specifically: is it bubbled like a pillow? For comparison, you may have or will likely see one day K-Cups where the foil top is flat or even sunk in a bit.

I have one possible explanation for the grounds in your coffee... when you close the brew head on a K-Cup that it swollen, when the needle pops the foil top (and you can hear it pop), a small amount of coffee grounds come out of the K-Cup and end up in the black K-Cup holder inside the brew head. From there, it's possible for those grounds to get flushed out of the brew head and into your cup.

Take a look inside the brew head. Open up the head, and specifically look at the flat surface just in front of the black K-Cup holder. Do you see any grounds hiding in there, possibly in the corners?

You can help avoid this by slowly closing the brew head, especially at the point where the needle pierces the foil top of the K-Cup.
Ian

Check out my music on iTunes or Amazon.
ifonline

Postby sweaner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:05 am

You will find an occasional K-Cup filter failure. Nothing to worry about.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby jar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:49 am

Just FYI.

The puffiness is usually caused by out-gassing from the grounds. It is seen in both pod and K-Cup formats.

In the pod format what is seen is a puffy packet, but when you manually tear open the packet it allows the gasses to escape slowly, over a large area. Also the coffee grounds are surrounded on all sides by filter paper.

The K-Cup format contains those gasses in a smaller volume and so at higher pressures, and when pierced there is nothing to prevent coffee grounds from being blown out of the hole.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Well I just ran 2 brews with my B60 (on the 10 oz. setting as I really wanted to make sure I flush all the stray grounds out) of nothing but water. The first brew I ran the water came out a little dirty from the grounds in there I guess, but then with my 2nd water brew everything was nice and clean.

I then brewed myself a cup of Van Houtte Kenya Kilimandjaro and voila....no grounds in my cup. Just finished it now. All appears A-ok. :D

Just for the heck of it though I will post an "Update" later on today when I brew more Van Houtte French Vanilla. Hopefully those 2 "swollen" K-cups I had were just a fluke as I still have about 10 or so more Van Houtte French Vanilla K-cups from the box I bought. Even if I do run into a more more swollen casualties it's no big deal IMO though. There wasn't alot of grounds in my cups last night...maybe just a pinch. It's not like I experienced a K-cup "Blowout" (which I think is what you guys call them eh?) Nevertheless I had just wanted to ask about the whole "grounds in mug problem" just in case it WOULD have been a more serious problem with my machine. 'Tis better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Anyways thank you all for all of your intelligent and polite feedback.

Happy brewing. :D
CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan

Postby jbviau » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:23 pm

CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan wrote:Happy brewing. :D

You too, and welcome!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Update: I brewed another Van Houtte French Vanilla K-Cup about 30 minutes ago. Before brewing it I looked at the top of the K-Cup and compared it to one of my unused Emeril K-cups. The top of my French Vanilla did look puffier. I did get a few speckles of grounds in the bottom of my mug again but just like before again there were hardly enough to complain about. There were ten little speckles...yes I admit...I looked and counted them. :lol:

One question though. If the rest of my Van Houtte K-cups are "swollen" then should I just wait until I've used them all before I run another brew with just water to clean everything out? If I brew the rest of my Van Houtte French Vanilla's in the meantime before running another water only brew, that won't cause any major clogging will it?
CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan

Postby EricBNC » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:12 pm

CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan wrote:One question though. If the rest of my Van Houtte K-cups are "swollen" then should I just wait until I've used them all before I run another brew with just water to clean everything out? If I brew the rest of my Van Houtte French Vanilla's in the meantime before running another water only brew, that won't cause any major clogging will it?

The water comes out of the top needle with a bit of pressure (that last gurgle of air and water signaling the end of the brewing cycle), so clogging that end is difficult. The other opening is inserted into the K cup underneath a filter, so it should be fine. If I see some grounds on top of the area around the port where the K cup goes, I just puff in their direction like blowing out a candle and they no longer are an issue.
EricBNC

Postby ifonline » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Yep. I definitely wouldn't stress about a few grounds. When I used a Keurig, I would just periodically blow away any grounds that I saw sitting in the brew head (as EricBNC suggested), and every so often I would run a 4oz drop of water without a K-Cup inserted to clean the head out of residual brewed (and possibly ground) coffee.
Ian

Check out my music on iTunes or Amazon.
ifonline

Postby jar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Grounds in your cup went through the bottom needle. If there is a problem that is where it is most likely.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby taltos » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:04 pm

I have always preferred puffy k-cups since I feel that if the grounds are still outgassing when packed, they are probably very fresh at the time of packaging. :D
taltos

Postby CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:47 pm

Well I brewed 2 more VH French Vanilla's today (one of which looked puffy) and guess what...no more grounds in my cup. I lifted my lid and blew around the port where the K cup goes (as far as I know there wasn't any grounds in that area to begin with but I blew anyways) and so far there has been no roasted "visitors" in my cup. :D

Hopefully my next box of Van Houtte French Vanilla (or any others I will be purchasing this week) will have no puffies. :lol:
CoffeeAddictPenguinsFan

Next

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines