Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig Vue and the Solofill V2 Gold

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig Vue and the Solofill V2 Gold

Postby rahl1972 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:18 pm

I just got my Solofill V2 and tried it out with regular K-cups in my Keurig Vue 700. It has worked flawlessly. Dare I say...the coffee produced with this machine using a k-cup is notably better then I was getting out of the Bunn MCU. Also...WAY better then produced out of my old Keurig Platinum. The only thing that is a pit tricky is how you pop the k-cups into the Solofill. If you apply your main pressure at the top of the k- cup the bottom corner has a tendency to crush instead of puncture properly. I tried instead by doing a quick push in place and pushed more at the bottom of the k-cup and it has punctured perfectly every time. There does seem to be a learning curve there. I highly recommend this product.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Breville One Touch tea maker
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
Breville Dual Boiler espresso machine
rahl1972

Re: Keurig Vue and the Solofill V2 Gold

Postby dsharp88 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 pm

rahl1972 wrote:I just got my Solofill V2 and tried it out with regular K-cups in my Keurig Vue 700. It has worked flawlessly. Dare I say...the coffee produced with this machine using a k-cup is notably better then I was getting out of the Bunn MCU. Also...WAY better then produced out of my old Keurig Platinum. The only thing that is a pit tricky is how you pop the k-cups into the Solofill. If you apply your main pressure at the top of the k- cup the bottom corner has a tendency to crush instead of puncture properly. I tried instead by doing a quick push in place and pushed more at the bottom of the k-cup and it has punctured perfectly every time. There does seem to be a learning curve there. I highly recommend this product.

Have you compared that to simply stabbing the top of a K-cup with a knife and pouring the contents into the V2? Your way is a neat workaround, but the V2 is designed for grounds, after all, so I'd be interested in the comparison.
dsharp88

Postby rahl1972 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:34 pm

I have a Breville smart grinder that I use with the Technivorm and I did use it to grind some coffee for it. I tried that and didn't like it for the simple fact that cleaning the Solofill after each cup is a bit messy and takes away from the convenience. I also don't like the fine particle stuff the filter lets pass through. I'll be sticking with the k-cup adapter.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
rahl1972

Postby dsharp88 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:09 pm

rahl1972 wrote:I have a Breville smart grinder that I use with the Technivorm and I did use it to grind some coffee for it. I tried that and didn't like it for the simple fact that cleaning the Solofill after each cup is a bit messy and takes away from the convenience. I also don't like the fine particle stuff the filter lets pass through. I'll be sticking with the k-cup adapter.

OK, dopey me. I saw the V2 at a store today and didn't realize it has a K-cup adaptor to it. I thought you had some workaround to get a K-cup in there. My bad.
dsharp88

Postby rahl1972 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:24 pm

LOL!! I understand where you were coming from a bit better now. I wasn't sure what you originally meant when you said something about it being "meant for" ground coffee. :D
Keurig 2.0 K500
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
rahl1972

Postby rahl1972 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 pm

I have to add that I have made an observation. It seems to me that the k-cups with the tight puffed of tops seem to go onto the adapter needle easier without that tendency to cave in. I think it has to do with the added internal pressure of the k-cup makes it sturdier. Just something I've noticed.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
rahl1972

Postby dhoward » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:45 pm

I have the V1. Is the only difference between the V1 and V2 the K Cup adapter? If so is the adapter sold separately or do I have to purchase the whole assembly?
dhoward

Postby rahl1972 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:08 pm

The filter basket is different also. it is solid plastic part of the way down. The other filter basket was almost all filter. This restricts to flow of water so it has to pass through the coffee more and not bleed around as much. Also this allows for a regular coffee pod to be used in it. If you tried this before with the V1, a good portion of the water would bypass the pod through the top of the filter basket. So...to answer your question...the basket is different as to allow for a better extraction and so it now can properly brew pods.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
rahl1972

Postby Davi8r » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 pm

Given that I just had an MC go belly-up, I may try your solution: Vue + Solofill v2. It seems that this will offer flexibility comparable to the MCU. I don't like what I've read about next year's Keurig 2.0, which might not brew third-party products not licensed by GMCR. It seems that the solution you've identified is more flexible, and available today.

BTW, greetings to a fellow Technivorm owner. Mine has been great, brewing pot after pot for years. It even lived through a house fire (I pulled it out of a box that was going to be thrown out, and cleaned it up). Still going strong - a brewer for coffee aficionados like we who frequent this forum.

Best,
-- Dave
GPOD | KitchenAid Pro Line Mill | Keurig B30 | Technivorm Moccamaster | Aerobie Aeropress | Gene Cafe Roaster | Tassimo T-65 | CBTL Contata | Bunn MC & MCU | Bunn Phase Brew
Legal.com: Legal Resources for Everyone
Dave's T-Disc Coffee Reviews
Davi8r

Postby rahl1972 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:35 am

Nice to meet you. As you can tell from my signature list I am a coffee addict of sorts. I can't tell you how many brewers I have gone through. I recently got the Technivorm and I must tell you....I love that thing. So simple but makes the best coffee ever with the right beans. You really can't go wrong with that machine. As far as the Keurig 2.0..... I'm not sure where you have gotten the idea that it won't accept third party k-cups. I got the impression that it was being designed to accept all k-cups and vue-packs. This way it will get the most attention and acceptance from the market. I understand that it is going to have a bar code or chip reader in it but I don't think that is going to prevent you from brewing third party k-cups and vue-packs. My guess is that those third party cups will not have the code on them. This will just mean that you will have to manually program your settings in for the brew each time like we do now. It isn't going to prevent you from brewing the cups at all. The licensed cups will have the code which will make it faster though. You will pop those in and the machine will know immediately how to brew what you just put in and all you will need to do is hit the brew button. Anyway...that is my thinking.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
rahl1972

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: Keurig 2.0, I'd suggest those interested keep an eye on updates here as well. Investors make it their business to be on top of new developments, it seems.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby Davi8r » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:53 am

SSCForums is linked from this thread:
http://gmcr.proboards.com/thread/1849/bunn-cup-brewer
GPOD | KitchenAid Pro Line Mill | Keurig B30 | Technivorm Moccamaster | Aerobie Aeropress | Gene Cafe Roaster | Tassimo T-65 | CBTL Contata | Bunn MC & MCU | Bunn Phase Brew
Legal.com: Legal Resources for Everyone
Dave's T-Disc Coffee Reviews
Davi8r

Postby akadesigner » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:27 am

Hi, Based on what I read here in the forum - that you can use a Kcup in a Vue700 machine - I purchased the SolofillV2 Gold. (I'm getting tired of having to order the vue cups online...I wish food stores would start to carry them like they do with Kcups!). I followed the directions of rah1972 on how to insert and close, but it doesn't work...it just seems that the top edge of the Kcup ever-so-slightly overlaps the edge of the Solofill and nothing you can do will enable it to be tightly closed and snapped in place so it fits into the Vue and allows it to close. Any suggestions on how to make this work? Thanks!
akadesigner

Postby rahl1972 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:26 am

The lid of the Solofill is supposed to be taken off and not used when you are using k-cups.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
rahl1972

Postby akadesigner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:44 am

I'm SO glad you replied...thanks for the tip...that works perfectly!
akadesigner

Next

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines