Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Bunn MCU vs. Aeropress vs. Pourover

Talk about anything coffee related. Let others know your innermost coffee thoughts.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Bunn MCU vs. Aeropress vs. Pourover

Postby Cam » Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 pm

I was wondering if anyone who's tried all three could comment about taste of each and which they think is best. Also referring to the grounds drawer on the MCU
Cam

Re: Bunn MCU vs. Aeropress vs. Pourover

Postby agentfive » Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 pm

I have to say I'm a big fan of the pourover done right but then again the Aeropress can deliver. We've yet to get the MCU into our test kitchen - will let you know soon.
- Jay Brewer
- Editor, Single Serve Coffee
- Current arsenal: Dolce Gusto, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, GPOD, OPOD, Keurig B40, B50, B60, B70, & Assorted (N)espresso Machines...
agentfive
Site Admin

Postby jbviau » Wed May 29, 2013 9:26 am

Sure thing. Full disclosure: I've come to realize I'm more of a metal-filtered coffee guy; I like some oils and suspended solids in the cup for added body/mouth feel and don't find that these distract from flavor clarity.

Bunn MCU - The grind required is somewhere between fine drip and normal drip, in my experience. You're limited by the relatively short brew time in that sense, even with "pulse." Good flavor, and *very* little sediment. You could use Aeropress paper filters if you wanted a cleaner cup.

Aeropress - By far the most versatile/fun brew method of the three. Choose any grind you want and adapt your recipe accordingly. Metal filters (Able, Kaffeologie) are available for an additional cost. I've brewed better coffees using an Aeropress than I have with the other two methods discussed here, for what it's worth.

Pourover - Again, a metal filter (Able) is available (mainly for use with Chemex). You need a kettle, though whether or not you need one with a gooseneck spout depends on how forgiving the pourover cone is that you're using. Of the three cones I own, the Hario demands more pouring control than the Beehouse and Kalita cones. There's something satisfying about the simplicity of pourover brewing, but I find it harder to do consistently well and so tend to avoid this method. YMMV.

Hope that helps.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby Cam » Thu May 30, 2013 7:29 am

Definitely helps! Thanks
Cam

Return to Coffee Talk