Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

K-Cup prices... WTH?

Talk about anything coffee related. Let others know your innermost coffee thoughts.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

K-Cup prices... WTH?

Postby heavyharmonies » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:49 pm

I stocked up at the office bigtime in early 2012 and am starting to run low, so I began looking around for deals... there aren't any. I thought the patent expiration was supposed to drive costs down, not up. I'm not finding any way to get name brand k-cups (Emeril's Easy Bold, Newman's Bold, Jet Fuel, etc.) for under about $0.60 shipped. When I stocked up last year it was at about $0.40/kcup shipped.

The only thing I'm finding that comes even close to that cost per K-cup is that godawful San Fransisco bay ersatz garbage or Grove Square (decent for cocoa, but the coffee is monkey urine).

There's no Costco anywhere near here, so that's out.

What gives? Where have all the deals gone?

*harumph* (basically a belated "Bah! Humbug!")
heavyharmonies

Re: K-Cup prices... WTH?

Postby jbviau » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 am

Not only that, but shipping costs have risen, too. Now more than ever it pays to meet those free shipping thresholds. Sorry. Do you have Amazon Prime? Brooklyn Beans does a good job through them, for example. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in with a few tips; I just don't buy k-cups much these days.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby VydorScope » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 am

Yeah, cost drove me back to pods... with my Bunn MCP I can easy make my own pods for under 10 cents a cup.

The best deals are via Amazon's subscribe and save, but even they have gone up and are harder to find.
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby vespacar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Just put the OPOD on a HD appliance timer. So when I wake up the OPOD is ready to go. To save money POD is the way to go. I agree that you'd think that with the patent expiration the prices would go down. But now that everyone's starting to make K-cup or clones the price is about the same (for clones) and k-cups has gone up. It's like when a company outsources, the work goes to some 2nd or 3rd world country but the price stays the same and the company keeps the difference. So really the only thing the patent expiration is got us is some (most, but not all) rather bad k-cup clone coffee. Look at what people are willing to pay for their k-cup (5 buck)starbucks coffee.

Cheers,
vespacar
Lavazza Blue LB 2312, Grindmaster OPOD, Nespresso Le Cube,
Breville "The milk Cafe" frother, Cuisinart SS-700C
vespacar

Postby mbryda » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Competition never results in lower prices long term. Why would I come into a business that's established where people are willing to pay $X for the product. I know people will happily pay $X and most costs are roughly the same. So why would I want to sell at less than $X and leave hose profits on the table? Makes no sense.

That being said, ever since the last price increase. I've found the cost of Kcups to be about the same. Still on the expensive side but the convenience makes it worth it for me.

Best bet is to search around for sales and meet the free shipping thresholds and the cost isn't bad.
mbryda

Return to Coffee Talk