Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Cafejo My French Press is Available!

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Cafejo My French Press is Available!

Postby EricBNC » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:21 am

If you end up with one of these then be aware of a replacement needle that is available for this brewer.

From a comment by Guy buried deep in the Amazon (review section, not the forest):

"We have redesigned the top needle and will have parts to send out soon. It is slightly longer to help pierce some of the tougher K-Cup caplets, as well as having larger clips to hold it more securely in place. Please send us a self addressed stamped envelope, and we will send you the new needle for replacement. This goes for anyone who now owns a My French-Press and wants the newer improved needle. The new needles are black in color to help tell if you have a new needle or old (the old ones are clear). We will also include instructions for replacement.
Thanks for your support with this new product."

Please send your self addressed, stamped envelope to:

Cafejo Needle
3423 West Fordham Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92704
EricBNC

Postby EricBNC » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:11 pm

My wife needed some items from Amazon so I added her stuff to the cart and went looking for add on items I wanted. I found this item (before Rush put his on sale) and picked one up. This brewer works nice with a K-cup. Speaking of work, I took it to work to brew a tasty and fast cup with minimal hassle and mess. Boiling water is available on demand already, as is cheap coffee from a can - all you care to drink. :roll:

The Cafejo My French Press is a life saver. Three k-cups stack in the blue plunger, which is plenty for one shift. It has been fun playing with brew strength by stretching out the contact time before plunging or even pulse plunging. I tried the pod adapter and got a decent cup but the K-kup brews are more intense - I haven't perfected the technique yet - having a decent pod brewer at home lessens the curiosity I guess. 8)

My happiest moment came a short while ago when I managed to fit another brand of paper filtered adapter cup successfully into the chamber. in this case it was a My-Kap inserted into a cleaned spent Starbucks K-cup shell. Inside I poured 11g of grounds from my home roasted Ninety Plus Ethiopia Nekisse beans. This tastes about as wonderful as anything I have tried lately. The roast went a bit darker than I aimed for but the sweet berry taste still jumps out before drowning in a cocoa finish. If you are used to thin body from a K-cup then a sip of this would blow your mind - excellent coffee here and a nifty new portable brewer too.

These Pe De Dienes Turkish mills (the chrome and brass models are the same size and design) fit into the blue pitcher too (the folding handle stores inside the upper chamber) and can be loaded in the top and bottom chamber with whole beans for a compact fresh ground coffee brewing travel kit! :D
EricBNC

Postby jbviau » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Clever, Eric! And I love that chrome mill especially.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby Bobbie54 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 pm

I got to try mine out in an early spring camping trip, no hookups. It was great. Easy to make coffee, easy cleanup. I was happy to see I could brew directly into my mug (instead of into the little pitcher.) Learned NOT to pull the plunger out with the K-cup (used or not) attached as it sucks grounds into the cylinder. So I don't think I actually need to carry along the little pitcher.

My friend was making coffee with a cone-drip filter, which also worked, but meant carrying along ground coffee (disposing of the used filters wasn't bad.) That's slower, though, so a little more heat loss as the coffee brews.

I did forget to check the needle color, though.
Bobbie54

Postby jbviau » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:10 pm

^^^ Welcome, Steve. I enjoy your posts over on CG.

Ok, who can help?
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Bobbie54 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Sure, but it won't be until later as it is down in the trailer in the garage. By cylinder length what do you mean- total outside length, or inside cylinder length? (usable length.)
Bobbie54

Postby Bobbie54 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:02 pm

2.4 inches inside diameter
5 inches inside length
6.25 inches outside length (includes needle.)
Bobbie54

Postby Bobbie54 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Includes needle but NOT K-cup holder or bottom pitcher.
Bobbie54

Postby jar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:55 am

I'm sorry but is there a point in all of that?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby Bobbie54 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:21 pm

What difference does it make if you measure volume in cold water if you are going to use hot water? Sorry, you'll have to conduct those experiments yourself. It does come with a pod holder (I guess it holds loose grounds, too?) No idea about the Vue cups but you can go as hot as you want with water.

I didn't experiment much with rate of plunging to see if I got a better or worse cup as the water stayed in the grounds longer. I do think I may make a cozy for the cylinder so that it doesn't cool too much (since I can make it directly into an insulated mug I don't need a cozy there; I can just preheat the cup.)
Bobbie54

Postby jbviau » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Netphilosopher wrote:I assume the pressure of brewing is what opens the valve and injects brew water into the pod...

Not sure about that. Amazon reviews refer to some Aeropress-style drip/trickle-through before plunging.

Netphilosopher wrote:Verification of max coffee that a normal Keruig pod can hold. This is fairly easy, just fill a pod with coffee beans (or ground unpacked coffee) to maximum and report the mass. This will vary quite a bit, but gives some indication as to the capacity.

The largest k-cups (e.g. Barista Prima, revv, "brew over ice") hold about 14 g. of coffee. In comparison, earlier posts in this thread refer to 12-13 g. of coffee capacity for the ground coffee adapter.

Netphilosopher wrote:Will the Cafejo take the new larger VUE capsules? (you know, bigger, hotter, stronger) If not, is there a potential in the future for the Cafejo to accommodate the larger VUE pods? The ability to use more than 25g of coffee is a really nice thing...

Right, would be nice, but Vue Packs aren't compatible currently AFAIK.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Bobbie54 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:43 pm

The coffee is not made in the cylinder. You could pour more or less coffee through the device, just plunge once or twice. If you want stronger coffee, put less water in. Personally I would find your perfect cup too strong. This device is limited by the K-cup size, like any K-cup device. And the amount of coffee extracted will depend on more than the volume- it also depends on how slowly you pass the hot water through the K-cup.

And on the hot water- you can weigh the water and calculate it's volume hot- which makes more sense as you can fit more cold water into it than hot water so it makes more sense to know the volume of hot water than the volume of cold water.

Anyway, the advantage for ME is that an aeropress leaves you with grounds (though I understand they are easier to clean up than most coffee makers) and requires you carry loose coffee (or worse, loose beans and a grinder.) I see the My French Press as a non-electrical K-cup brewer which is exactly what I wanted.
Bobbie54

Postby EricBNC » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 am

The percolation time for the coffee produced can be extended by using timed pulses of water - the vacuum created by the plunger prevents flow through if no force is applied - you can easily extend the brew time to twice as long manually compared to an auto Keurig machine's brew time. This should create a stronger extraction.
EricBNC

Previous

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines