Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

New here and a little conflicted.

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: New here and a little conflicted.

Postby bigstormgirl » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks for the links jar. Don't mind at all that their long, the more info the better IMHO. I'm off work till the 7th, so I have plenty of time to read. :D
Cindy
bigstormgirl

Postby sweaner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Cindy, I think you need to have someone study your Cremina in-depth to find out what you are doing wrong. I volunteer.

It is highly unlikely that you will get a better espresso with the single-serve machines than you are getting with your high end equipment. In fact, your shots should blow the single serve espresso shots away.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby bigstormgirl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:06 pm

I could always use volunteers! :D

On that note, I think my main problem is everything I have learned is by message boards and YouTube. Until someone is standing next to me to show me what a proper grind looks like or tastes a good shot, I'm really flying blind. Chicago is having a meetup soon with some HB guys, and I am going to go. I really need to pick the brains of these experts and see what I'm doing right or wrong. It's really the only way I can take the next step.

I have put on hold the Nespresso shopping for now. Just ordered some fresh beans, and will try again and see what I can learn in Chicago.
Cindy
bigstormgirl

Postby jar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:16 pm

If you're in Chicago, there are several Meinl coffee shops. See if you can sample some of their coffees and espressos.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby EricBNC » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 pm

bigstormgirl wrote:I could always use volunteers! :D
...I have put on hold the Nespresso shopping for now. Just ordered some fresh beans, and will try again and see what I can learn in Chicago.

Your mind is about to be blown - enjoy! :D
EricBNC

Postby bigstormgirl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:02 pm

EricBNC wrote:
bigstormgirl wrote:I could always use volunteers! :D
...I have put on hold the Nespresso shopping for now. Just ordered some fresh beans, and will try again and see what I can learn in Chicago.

Your mind is about to be blown - enjoy! :D

I'm really looking forward to it Eric. It will be next weekend.

Well, I went to Williams Sonoma in Indy today and checked out the Nespresso and tasted a couple shots with it, though it seem to blonde pretty early (it seems that the single shot program went longer than it should have). It actually tasted better than 80% of my shots from my Cremina (I know that it's my fault, not the machine). So I decided to order the Carmine Pixie from Seattle Coffee Gear (with 10% off!). I figure it is good to have for a quick shot before work without the mess and fuss, and use my Cremina on the weekends when I have more time. I sold my Elektra MCAL this past week, so I'm justifying my purchase so my Cremina has a counter buddy. :P
Cindy
bigstormgirl

Postby jbviau » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 pm

^^^ Jealous! We used to live in Chicago. Sadly, this was before my days of coffee geekery. Have fun, and congrats on the purchase. Btw, which capsules did you try/like?
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby bigstormgirl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:27 am

jbviau wrote:^^^ Jealous! We used to live in Chicago. Sadly, this was before my days of coffee geekery. Have fun, and congrats on the purchase. Btw, which capsules did you try/like?

I'm pretty excited about the Chicago meetup. I'm going to bring some Redbird beans with me and see if anyone can pull the "Snickers Bar" out of it. I have gotten a little bit of chocolate, but no nuts. :P

The first one I tried was the Ristretto, which could have been better if the shot was shorter (someone reprogrammed the espresso shot button) and the second one was Arpeggio which was a lot better (she used a different machine that wasn't messed with).
Cindy
bigstormgirl

Postby jbviau » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:04 am

Arpeggio has become my go-to capsule for first-thing-in-the morning "poor man's" cortados (milk is microwaved rather than steamed) when we're trying to get my son out the door on time.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 am

Cindy, what's the latest? How did the HB get-together go?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby bigstormgirl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 pm

jbviau wrote:Cindy, what's the latest? How did the HB get-together go?

Hey Josh!

The get-together went great!! Couldn't believe how many machines were brought out. Pretty cool to see all these different machines in person. My Cremina got her share of oohs and aahhs. One of the main things I learned is to relax and quit being too anal. Way too much OCD when I try to pull a shot. Now, I fill my bean hopper (I used to weigh every shot before grinding), fill my PF, tamp and go. My shots have never been better. I even impressed a few experts. I mentioned that I was going to bring some Redbird. Well, this wasn't a favorite of the experts, but they said I pulled it real well. Also learned about brightness and acidity which I could never understand till then. So, it was a great success for me! I think the next meeting will be in March. I plan on going to that one too.

I also got my Nespresso Pixie and having a great time with that too. I use it a few times during the week, and use my Cremina on weekends. I really have the best of both worlds right now.
Cindy
bigstormgirl

Postby jbviau » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Glad to hear it! So your Cremina-spoiled palate doesn't revolt against the taste of those Nespresso shots, I gather. Nice.

I've been to a few Baltimore HB gatherings and have consistently enjoyed them.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby bigstormgirl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 pm

In honesty, now that I have finally experienced good shots, the Nespresso can really hold it's own. I have to admit I was very surprised when I first sampled some shots at Williams Sonoma. Very impressive indeed!! :wink:
Cindy
bigstormgirl

Previous

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines