Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Bunn Trifecta MB unboxing + review posts to follow

Talk back from articles posted at Single Serve Coffee

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Bunn Trifecta MB unboxing + review posts to follow

Postby jbviau » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 am

Here are some unboxing pics to start us off: http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/040183.php

If there’s anything in particular you’d like covered, please let me know! To preview, this thing makes *great* coffee (from 6-12 oz. at a time). I'll admit the price is high: $499, and supposedly going up to $549 on 7/1 (see here). Demand has been high as well, and for good reason.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re: Bunn Trifecta MB unboxing + review posts to follow

Postby jbviau » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Heads up: I've got a step-by-step walk-through of how to make a cup using this machine coming later this week, followed by a summary discussing pros and cons next week.

Interestingly, as an HB member first observed, you can use the Trifecta to brew tea bags (not just loose leaf). This makes me think the Trifecta's brew chamber could handle a pod, too--something I'll try soon for grins.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:14 am

Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:12 pm

jbviau wrote:Interestingly, as an HB member first observed, you can use the Trifecta to brew tea bags (not just loose leaf). This makes me think the Trifecta's brew chamber could handle a pod, too--something I'll try soon for grins...

Even on the highest turbulence setting and the longest infusion time (i.e. E-3:00), the Trifecta can't brew a good pod. I'm sipping on the results now, and it's more papery than anything. Very weak coffee taste/aroma. I did enjoy watching the pod dance around inside the brew chamber though. :twisted:

Next time I'll cut open the pod, dump its contents into the chamber, and dial back the settings to something more reasonable (given the finer-than-usual grind). Would be fun to see how a pod "cups" when brewed in the OPOD vs. the Trifecta!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby ricoffee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:27 pm

We finally got the Trifecta MB in for testing and all I can say is wow. It's hard to imagine paying this much for a single cup machine, besides an espresso machine, but once you try it you're hooked, everything else is just watery. You did ask the question before on how it compares to the commercial version, quality is exactly the same and the settings are way easier to play with. From what I understand it's commercially rated too so an economical solution for cafes to charge $4+ for a cup it would be a no brainer if there was a plumbed in version.
ricoffee

Postby jbviau » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Glad to hear it, Patrick. I take it this means you all might be carrying the MB before long?

I know we discussed this via email, but I think it's very interesting that, having tried both, you like the MB's simplicity. Bunn seems to have done a good job of reducing the richer feature set of the commercial Trifecta down to something workable.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby rhfil » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:06 pm

I am confused as to how the coffee comes out of the machine. It is described as a "press out" but I do not see a plunger. It looks to me as if it just gravity feeds out. Which is it?
rhfil

Postby jbviau » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 pm

Air pressure, which opens a check valve on the underside of the brew chamber and forces the coffee out.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby vespacar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Saved in the ebay searches, cause I'm a cheap b*stard. No used one's on ebay so everyone must be happy with there machines :( . Maybe one day, hey it only took me a year to finally drop the hammer on a Lavazza blue :D

Cheers,
vespacar
Lavazza Blue LB 2312, Grindmaster OPOD, Nespresso Le Cube,
Breville "The milk Cafe" frother, Cuisinart SS-700C
vespacar

Postby jbviau » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Happy hunting! Yeah, people like them, and since they're hand-assembled in IL they're not super common. Enjoy your cube!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Davi8r » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Isn't being cheap part of the fun here? I mean, SSCF is where I became an eBay pro. Now the family comes to me ... I want this ... fine, email me the eBay item # and let the snipe hunt begin.

So during the 2013 holiday season, when Bunn put its home coffee makers on sale at 30% off, yours truly was at it again. Yeah, I tried to snag a Trifecta at 30% off. No, it didn't work. :oops:

So the hunt is still on and we can delay me trying to take more counter space for yet another single serve machine. The deal will come along. Until then, I still get to sleep at home.

Best,
-- Dave
GPOD | KitchenAid Pro Line Mill | Keurig B30 | Technivorm Moccamaster | Aerobie Aeropress | Gene Cafe Roaster | Tassimo T-65 | CBTL Contata | Bunn MC & MCU | Bunn Phase Brew
Legal.com: Legal Resources for Everyone
Dave's T-Disc Coffee Reviews
Davi8r

Return to SingleServeCoffee.com Discussions