Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

How I reuse Caffe Vergnano capsules - a How To.

Review Nespresso, Dolce Gusto, Lavazza, CBTL, and other espresso capsules here

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

How I reuse Caffe Vergnano capsules - a How To.

Postby Simon B. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:05 am

Morning all,

Lots of the info in this post is already out there on the site, but I´ve kept it fairly basic anyway. Apologies if you´ve seen this method of recycling pods before!

One neat alternative to Nespresso is the range of Nespresso-compatible pods from Caffe Vergnano, which are (conveniently) available from the supermarket chain REWE here in Germany. These are €2,90 per box of 10, 29 cents a shot, as opposed to 34-37 cents per Nespresso shot.

But, being the cheap @rse that I am I thought there must be a way to recycle them. I´ve had best results using Lavazza Crema e Gusto espresso grind. With a rinsed-out Vergnano capsule and a small square of foil I bring the cost down to 7 cents a cup - and yes, I weighed out the exact amount of coffee used. What a saddo.

So anyway, here´s how it is done.

One Nespresso machine with a few rinsed-out capsules, a foil square, and the Vergnano box in the background.

I keep the coffee in an airtight Tupperware box in the fridge for freshness. The old wine cork is used as a mini tamper for the grounds.

You must use espresso-specific ground coffee, filter grounds will NOT work.

Here we are, filling the capsule with a small teaspoon prior to tamping/cleaning the edges.

Capsule ready for foil, edge clean.

Make sure the whole circumference of the capsule has a good covering of foil.

Capsule ready, sorry for the blurry photo.

Make sure the capsule is in the right ´slot´in your machine, sometimes the sit a little high on first insersion and need a tiny nudge downwards (not too much, or the bloody thing falls into the tray beneath)

Coming through. Faceplate of the machine needs a clean! Apologies!

And the final lungo. A couple of points:

1) Here I´m using REWE own brand espresso coffee, which isn´t as good as Lavazza Crema e Gusto, so I would recommend going with a proper Italian espresso first.

2) There is usually a bit of water that comes out of the spout before the coffee starts to flow, I normally catch this with a second cup and then introduce my coffee cup into the ´flow´.

3) One disclaimer, do this at your own risk. I worked out that at our current rate of consumption the machine will have paid for itself in 4 months, and we will have an ongoing savin of ~€40/month.

4) Yes, it is a bit of fiddle to rinse and reuse. But hey, loads of people roll their own fags - and this, for me at least, is miles easier!
Simon B.

Re: How I reuse Caffe Vergnano capsules - a How To.

Postby Simon B. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 am

The finished coffee looks a bit watery, here are a couple more of an Espresso shot I just made using the supermarket own-brand coffee.
Immediately after pouring:

And 40 seconds later, the crema is holding up pretty well:

Simon B.

Postby jbviau » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 am

Pics are always nice. Thanks for the post. Love the cork tamper!

If the container you store your ground coffee in is truly airtight, then fine, but AFAIK most coffee types now recommend avoiding the fridge due to the chance of picking up "off" odors and introducing moisture during storage.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby FredT » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:04 pm

I tried this technique with a used Nespresso capsule, but the front foil wouldn't puncture, just got water coming through. I then made little slits in the foil, but this time I got nothing but a few drops of coffee. I guess the coffee was too tight, or the grind to fine? I was using Lavazza Qualita Ora pre-ground espresso. I also had to use a lot of effort to get the lever back up, so I decided not to try again!
FredT

Postby Simon B. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 am

Had a bit of a result yesterday.
Using an elastic band over the foil seal makes a much better cup.
Pictures should help:

Simon B.

Return to Espresso Capsules and Capsule Reviews