Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

The Invasion of Single Serving Evaporated Milk (SSEM)

Talk about anything coffee related. Let others know your innermost coffee thoughts.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: The Invasion of Single Serving Evaporated Milk (SSEM)

Postby EricBNC » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:30 pm

jbviau wrote:^^^ Welcome to you, too. Who knew this topic would be so popular?

Well that should silence the Noysayers....
EricBNC

Postby jbviau » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Good one! You are just full of wit lately, Eric. We need a "ba dum tss" emoticon; this will have to do for now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby NoxBlox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:33 am

My friends in Germany also prefer fresh milk produced organically known as "Bio" products. I do admit that I greatly enjoy the Bio-milk in my coffee. But, when we go for long sailing trips, we do use the ultra-pasteurized milk because we can store enough on the boat for extended trips up North. I have become curious to try this NoyNoy product due to the extended shelf life on these trips. Also, we can stock the galley with them and basically forget about them until we need to use them. And no worries about humidity & salt either. I am truly hoping the taste is comparable to other dairy products. Hopefully this will work out for my next trip with my friends. I will see if we can pick these up in Berlin before setting sail.
NoxBlox

Postby VLee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 am

jbviau wrote: I'd never thought of whipping cream as a diet food!

It is very low carbohydrate, so works well for a low carb diet.
Bunn My Cafe MCA, Clever Coffee Dripper, Senseo - original recalled & replaced, Original Melita cone
VLee

Postby funfun18 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:46 pm

OK. I would like some help. I am a fan of many beverages, one is tea with milk. I live in the USA now and really miss the little single serving UHT milk. I am not talking about half and half or non-dairy creamers, but whole milk.
Anyone know any company that I can purchase bulk of these little UHT whole milk lovelies? UK cannot ship to the US, but needs to be shipped within the US.
funfun18

Postby jbviau » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Welcome. What's wrong with the half & half ones?
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Lion Tamer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 am

Thank you NoxBlox for your reply (and IM/PM!) I like your adventurous style to travel and coffee drinking. And to Donut, good luck, hang in there, and I like your continued commitment to stay with it, and enjoy your favorite coffee along the way. I hope that you get to see Mandy soon.

I haven't found the UHT singles either, any info is welcome.

And, btw, fyi, I tried TJ's UHT 1/2 & 1/2 fat free 1Qt size this week for the first time. The product claims a 7-day refrigerated shelf life after opening, along with an approximate 6 month unopened, un-refrigerated shelf life. My first instinct was that this product was a good 'catch all' for the times when I would run out of half and half (or Noy Noy) and situations arose making a trip to the supermarket and inconvenience.

Good in theory, yet in practice, unsatisfying. The product does not hold its own in strongly brewed coffee from say a stove top espresso maker, which is what I dabble in when not using my Keurig. I add the half and half and the dark coffee remains dark, I add more, and the coffee stares back at me, dark as ever.

Let's just say in blind testing, I might not know the difference, but appearances have some arguable importance. I would only recommend this product to light roast drinkers, who would use 1Qt in 7 days, and like coffee appearing darker that usual.

It's almost beneath me to add one final report in regard to earlier comments. The Greek pronunciation of 'Noy Noy' is close to the way in English one would say 'new new' Any puns outside of this pronunciation would IMHO clearly be a 'no no.'
Lion Tamer

Postby jbviau » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Fat-free half-and-half? Give me the good stuff, UHT or otherwise. It's a bit of a tangent, but one of my pet peeves is the demonization of fat. Ever tried fat-free yogurt? It's nasty, and all the sugar they add to compensate is arguably more unhealthy than the fat ever was.

Good luck to you you on the "new new" hunt.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby MarkShark » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Right on Josh! The fat free Half n half my brother in law gets has corn syrup as its second ingredient, but regardless to that, it tastes terrible! I say if people want to be more healthy, use regular half n half, and then get some exercise! Demonization is quite accurate, fat free does not equal healthy!
-Mark
Bodum Original French Press, Bodum Burr Grinder, Bunn MyCafe Home, Broken Keurig B60, Bodum Solo Drip (Low Tech), Keurig Mini.
MarkShark

Postby Donut » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:42 pm

ok Lion Tamer, thanks for the words of encouragement - I know I need them. I've been in a plateau weight-wise so far this winter, and every little bit helps. And then that's the trouble too around the holiday, every little bit helps add to my mid-atlantic-section.

I have not seen Mandy, she might have found a new job, I'll have to leave that one for the winds, and just keep walking, keep track of my walking, improve my diet and exercise, Somehow it'll all work out.

I was in Arizona recently, bought a lottery ticket before travelling home and couldn't find it. After searching in all my bags and pockets, no luck. The I was moving my uht 1/2 & 1/2's back to the fridge (I keep them there out of habit, even though it make no sense) and I found the ticket tossed in with the creamers. I thought "this is my lucky day"

When I check the numbers, I didn't win. Which makes sense, because I have so set my intention to lose weight, it might be spilling out into other arenas. I don't know how that whole cosmic thing works, but maybe my lottery luck (and with women) will improve when I reach my goal.

I too have a stovetop espresso maker that I dust off a few times a year. It's nice to smell the grinds, spoon it in, and then clean a little afterward.....just like popping popcorn the old fashioned way.

good to hear from you and check in, hang in there everybody.
Donut

Postby WiIx » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:45 pm

This is WiIx, and I'll welcome myself to this forum, and most interesting thread.

Before I watch American Idol each week (like clockwork :) ) I make a single serving coffee and ad half and half. This week I was searching the www and found this thread, which could really have an impact on my daily coffee drinking. Perhaps others feel like me too - now that's consensus just waiting to happen.

This whole industry protectionism really ruffles my political feathers, as I have always been supportive of free markets worldwide. Free trade coffee, and now I propose free trade milk, single serving evaporated milk that is.

It's a win-win all around for anyone paying attention.

Thanks all for the welcome, and getting this whole ball rolling.
WiIx

Postby jbviau » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am

Welcome, WiIx. So what do you do when Idol's not on? If you're going to carry the flag for SSEM you can't afford to take such long breaks. ;)
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby WiIx » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:27 am

thanks Josh- American Idol (AI) is not the only competition show out there. Throughtout the year, other shows based on a similar entertainment model begin and end. There's even the show 'survivor' which looks like AI with no singing. I like to watch a few European talent shows too over the internet. With all that, coffee is a daily pleasure. thanks again for the note---
WiIx

Postby jbviau » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Aha. Well, the only one I watch these days is The Voice. Ok, tangent over...carry on!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Bob L. Kruisceal » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:09 pm

not so sure about the 'relevance' of all the 'data' in this thread. although I am fond of intelligent banter, sometimes it is all statistically insignificant.

I buy half and half in the cartons, and put it in my coffee in the morning, I don't see what the big deal is (or conspiracy for that matter). Perhaps the FBI vault will have some data on that :)

I would note that whatever small packets of creamer that I use when out and about never ever taste anywhere near as good as the organic 1/2 & 1/2 at home.

what's up with all that? is that where all the milk from unhappy cows goes?

Good to join the forum (finally) been reading for about a year a variety of topics here, and enjoying it all.
Bob L. Kruisceal

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee Talk