Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Updated pod machine: the SunCana

Talk back from articles posted at Single Serve Coffee

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Updated pod machine: the SunCana

Postby jbviau » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:31 pm

More news from Jay. Looks like the Sun Cafe has been upgraded: http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/039704.php

SunCana's site: http://singleservebrewer.com/why-the-suncana/
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re: Updated pod machine: the SunCana

Postby VLee » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:10 pm

It's nice to see a new pod brewer popping up, and especially at Bed Bath and Beyond. I first saw a Senseo there, before I knew what it was and then they stopped carrying them.

I'd be interested in people's comments on the size, as well as the obvious features. From the photo, it looks pretty wide, which could be an issue for some people with small kitchens. Eg, I have very little counter space, so my Bunn or Senseo work well for me, footprint wise.

Baltimore Coffee & Tea is selling a Sun Cafe brewer - http://www.baltcoffee.com/products/coffee-pods/sun-cafe-single-cup-pod-brewer. Since they've had it since fall, I'm guessing the BCT one is an older version.
Bunn My Cafe MCA, Clever Coffee Dripper, Senseo - original recalled & replaced, Original Melita cone
VLee

Postby jbviau » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 am

VLee wrote:Baltimore Coffee & Tea is selling a Sun Cafe brewer - http://www.baltcoffee.com/products/coffee-pods/sun-cafe-single-cup-pod-brewer. Since they've had it since fall, I'm guessing the BCT one is an older version.

^^^ I'd bet it is, too.

Jay's follow-up with review: http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archiv ... 1.php#more
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby EricBNC » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 am

Looks like they went with a pod holder water exit similar to the first generation Senseo - the foam on top does look appealing. I can still get it on my newer Senseo but only if I use the espresso pod holder.

I hope the improved SunCana gains some traction - I have always liked the looks of this machine.
EricBNC

Postby jbviau » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:28 am

Right, and even the original SunCana could brew a pretty good cup; Chad let me try his out once.

Lee, would you mind giving BCT a heads up about the upgraded version?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Black Rose » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:37 pm

The store where we get our K-Cups carry these.

They are nice looking machines and really don't take up that much space.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Retired: Tassimo T45, Keurig B70 Platinum, SunCafe H701A
Black Rose

Postby Cam » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

does the Bunn MyCafe still brew hotter though?
Cam

Postby Caine » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:36 pm

I notrice that Bed Bugs & Beyond on line is selling this machine for the lowest price at $99.00 plus shipping, but the only unit they seem to offer is in red. I wonder if they're available at the brick and mortar stores, in all four colours, and for how much?
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party
Caine

Postby TheCoffeeArtisan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Cam wrote:does the Bunn MyCafe still brew hotter though?

Yes, but not by much. 198 vs. 200 degrees I believe.

Chad
250+ Coffee and Tea Pods from The Coffee Artisan, Fratello, Cafejo, Reunion Island, Baronet, Solera, Organa, City Steam, Barnie's, JavaOne, Melitta and Wolfgang Puck
Bunn, Grindmaster and Baratza Equipment
The Coffee Artisan
TheCoffeeArtisan

Postby Black Rose » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Bed, Bath, and Beyond as well as Tweed & Hickory are both still selling the original SunCafe brewers.

BBB is selling it as a clearance item at $99.00 Canadian.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Black Rose

Postby Caine » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:06 pm

The only Canadian money I have is an old green $1 paper bill. Will they accept American money if I have two IDs?
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party
Caine

Postby Black Rose » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:57 pm

The statement in the article linked in the first post states: "First and foremost is now has a removable cup tray to allow to use up to 16oz travel mug."

Any idea what is meant by "removable cup tray"? Just the insert comes out, or the whole tray comes off the front?

The SunCafe H701A that I bought this past weekend (for $63) has a removable cup tray, but we can't get our tall 16 oz travel mugs to fit under it.
Our regular 16 oz mugs fit under it fine though.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Black Rose

Postby jbviau » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 pm

I would imagine they mean the removable parts of the drip tray (grate and whatever's under it, if anything). Not certain though.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby ricoffee » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm

The drip tray and another piece slides out to allow for travel mugs, it just fits our 16oz stainless mug. We've been testing this unit now for the last month and we can finally say we're impressed. Past renditions have been plagued with issues, heaters short cups you name it. It now accepts our 12g pods quite nicely and makes a great cup of coffee. The tank holds about 3 x 10oz cups then needs to be refilled, there is a plumbed in version as well for those that don't want to mess with tanks. It makes a cup much like the Senseo and the Invento in that it is foamy at the top, some may like that some may not. BB&B in Canada currently has a fire sale on the older model for $50 if you want to take a chance on it. But looks like we'll be carrying it very soon on our website. It's a great alternative to the My Cafe, if you're looking for a unit with a tank. I do have to say it is noisier than the MC, but temperature and cup quality are similar.
ricoffee

Postby jbviau » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:59 pm

^^^ Thanks for the info., Patrick.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Next

Return to SingleServeCoffee.com Discussions