Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig Platinum vs Cuisinart SS-700??

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig Platinum vs Cuisinart SS-700??

Postby machno62 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 pm

I'm looking at replacing my Bunn My Cafe with one of the above mentioned brewers. I like the 3 year warranty offered with the Cuisinart and that it appears to be a more solid built machine (metal vs plastic). But I know a lot of folks who love their Keurigs and filtration isn't an issue as we have a Reverse Osmosis system at home.

I have a build up of stock of pods, but can use the Kienna Kup in a k-cup brewer, so that seems to be the way I'm leaning.

Have been reading the forums and realise there are issues with all machines (My experience with the Bunn has been less than good), but I'm hoping whatever I decide to buy isn't the lemon that the Bunns have been.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
machno62

Re: Keurig Platinum vs Cuisinart SS-700??

Postby jbviau » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:24 pm

If I had a vote, it would be neither. ;) I'd rather get a more basic Keurig machine and save $$ for the k-cups if I were going that route. But, either way, I'd strongly advise buying from a retailer with a good return policy like Bed Bath & Beyond or Costco. If you ever have to deal with Cuisinart's customer service instead of doing a simple return/exchange at one of the stores I mentioned (in case the need arises), I predict you'll come away less than happy.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby machno62 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 pm

jbviau wrote:If I had a vote, it would be neither. ;) I'd rather get a more basic Keurig machine and save $$ for the k-cups if I were going that route. But, either way, I'd strongly advise buying from a retailer with a good return policy like Bed Bath & Beyond or Costco. If you ever have to deal with Cuisinart's customer service instead of doing a simple return/exchange at one of the stores I mentioned (in case the need arises), I predict you'll come away less than happy.

Thanks. I've heard about the cost of returning to Cuisinart. One advantage that I have is I live not too far from their Canadian Head Office, so it's cheaper for me to literally drop it off at their door than to ship it to them.

I have a ton of pods on hand, and this little gadget works great in their units ( http://kienna.com/kup.html ), so spending money on the cups isn't a big deal..afterward, I'll be happy to use the ground coffee in one of their filters (which the cuisinart comes with). I've just had so many issues with the Bunn that I find I'm now a bit gunshy about any of the single serve machines, as bunn and Cusinart seem to offer the longest warranties (in the case of bunn, only if you don't have issues the first year at least).

The reason I'm looking at these two units is because I like the fact I can control the water temp and the 12 oz option. Breville has a similar unit to the Cuisinart, but it's $100 more and I'm not sure it's worth the extra $$.
machno62

Postby bltman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 am

One advantage of the Keurig is that you can register the brewer at Keurig.com and get a coupon for coffee. Lots of sales on the B60s lately in Canada and I doubt you will ever need a larger size.

What size pods do you currently have? The Kienna Kup doesn't support the largest 12 gram ones (it stalls my machine). I also find pods taste a bit thin and weak using the Kienna device on any setting above the smallest cup.
bltman

Postby machno62 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 am

bltman wrote:One advantage of the Keurig is that you can register the brewer at Keurig.com and get a coupon for coffee. Lots of sales on the B60s lately in Canada and I doubt you will ever need a larger size.

What size pods do you currently have? The Kienna Kup doesn't support the largest 12 gram ones (it stalls my machine). I also find pods taste a bit thin and weak using the Kienna device on any setting above the smallest cup.

Most of my pods are the 10 gram size.

I've only tried one cup using a pod and the Kienna Cup to be honest, at a local single serve shop that sells singles and make your own variety box. I will have to go back and ask her what size cup she gave me when I sampled it.

I will say with the Bunn I can get a 14 oz travel cup out of one of these pods and since I take the coffee black, I do find it strong enough. However, without that final surge of flavour, I'm not finding the coffee strong enough.

A friend who has a keurig uses the pods (10 gr) and the My KCup reusable filter by just ripping open the pod and pouring the grounds into the filter, so I could also go that route.

Thanks for the info on the B60....I'll take a closer look at that one. Currently Costco is selling the B70 Platinum along with 60 kcups and a My KCup reusable filter for $159.99 CDN. The Cuisinart is available at Canadian Tire this week for $179.99, so this is why I focused on these two.
machno62

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines