Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

New BUNN My Cafe Home Single Cup Pod Brewer

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: New BUNN My Cafe Home Single Cup Pod Brewer

Postby starryeyes » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:30 pm

mbevans wrote:
sweaner wrote:It sounds like you should be using the grounds drawer, if you have one. You like a bold cup, as do I, and using up to 20 grams of coffee will help you get the cup you like.

Sadly, the grounds drawer is not yet available in Canada (unless you know something I don't). I am tracking the thread that discusses that topic.

Unfortunately not yet. RI says towards the end of the month. Funny enough Reunion Island got the brewer before the US. I'm patiently waiting for the drawers and can't wait.
Bunn My Cafe Home, Nespresso Lattissima +, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II, Tassimo T46, Jura Micro Ena 9
Retired: Keurig B66, Nespresso Le Cube, Dolce Gusto Piccolo, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II (donating to my niece)
starryeyes

Postby Stew Pidaso » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 pm

Just bought my new Bunn My Cafe. I excitedly set it up. Filled the pour in bowl with 14 oz of good old tap water and pressed the brew button. The water flowed into the warming tank. Refillled the pour in bowl with 14 oz of tap water and pressed the brew button. Water once again flowed into the warming tank. The indicator light has been solid red for well over two hours now. No green light. What is going on?!?!? I purchased this machine because of the high quality I have experienced over the last decade with my other Bunn products . Now this doesn't work right out pf the box!?!?! Any suggestions?
Stew Pidaso

Postby jar » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Stew Pidaso wrote:Just bought my new Bunn My Cafe. I excitedly set it up. Filled the pour in bowl with 14 oz of good old tap water and pressed the brew button. The water flowed into the warming tank. Refillled the pour in bowl with 14 oz of tap water and pressed the brew button. Water once again flowed into the warming tank. The indicator light has been solid red for well over two hours now. No green light. What is going on?!?!? I purchased this machine because of the high quality I have experienced over the last decade with my other Bunn products . Now this doesn't work right out pf the box!?!?! Any suggestions?

Hi, welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Have you contacted Bunn?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby Stew Pidaso » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Yes I have. They are sending out a new machine. I have to say that their customer service is top notch.
Stew Pidaso

Postby Stew Pidaso » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:42 am

Got my replacement machine today. Two days after contacting Bunn. This little brewer turns out a boss cup of coffee!!!!
Stew Pidaso

Postby Black Rose » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:29 pm

OK, I've read all 33 pages of this thread and did not find the answer to my question, so here goes:

We have a SunCafe pod brewer and also have a Keurig B70 Platinum that is just over 2 years old, which means it'll self destruct any time now :D
Should our B70 fail, we are not interested in replacing it with the Keurig 2.0 unit.

We are thinking of replacing the SunCafe and our Keurig B70 with a My Cafe MCU.

We use a lot of the Keurig compatible soft bottom cups (Rogers Family San Francisco Bay, Club Coffee, etc).
Has anyone had any issues using these in the K-Cup drawer of the My Cafe?
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Retired: Tassimo T45, Keurig B70 Platinum, SunCafe H701A
Black Rose

Postby Davi8r » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi Rose,

I have a Bunn MC and MCU, and use the interchangeable drawers all the time. I have used several renditions of Rogers family coffee (the ones with the mesh bags) without any problems. I also have an old Keurig model 30 that just keeps running no matter what happens to it, and a Vue that I just startign using this past weekend.

The Bunn MC + drawer brews K-Cups with more gusto than the old Keurig. Toward the end of the cycle, steam starts coming out and sometimes there is a little splashing / spillage. I more appreciate, than am annoyed by this, because I believe that I am getting a better cup of coffee from the Bunn.

The basic Bunn MC isn't flashy. There's no fancy LCD screen that shows the exact water temp and your heart rate. But they work reliably and are backed up by a company known for excellent customer service.

So far I've used regular K-Cups, various OneCup brands made by Rogers and the newer (to me) Real Cups (Martinson, Marley, Brown Gold, et. al.) in both the -30 and MCU drawer. Never had a problem with any of them. Of course, you'll also be able to use ground coffee and pods, which you can source from all over the world (which is half the fun of all this). One non-fancy coffee that I like from the MCU, is the humble Seattle's Best #4, available on your grocer's shelf. I like dark roast, and this coffee from the MCU will give you a bold, flavorful cup of coffee. It's only available ground, and it's almost a little too fine for this machine. I clogged up the head once, but that was out of about a hundred cups - and was solved by putting the grounds drawer (with screen separated) through the dishwasher. When I'm grinding my own beans, I go a little coarser - not much, call it a medium ground. I use filtered water from the fridge - one cup at a time.

I fully support your desire to use these more environmentally friendly (not to mention cheaper, I mean, less costly) pods. Check out the Rogers Family Company Coffee & Tea blog. They are good people. One of the founders travels the world, meets with small farmers and builds schools in their communities. Recently, their philanthropic focus has shifted to planting rust resistant trees so small farmers won't be wiped out by failed crops.

All the best,
-- Dave
GPOD | KitchenAid Pro Line Mill | Keurig B30 & Vue | Technivorm Moccamaster | Aerobie Aeropress | Gene Cafe Roaster | Tassimo T-65 | CBTL Contata | Bunn MCU & Phase Brew
Legal.com: Legal Resources for Everyone
Dave's T-Disc Coffee Reviews
Davi8r

Postby Black Rose » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

We ordered a My Cafe MCU tonight from Cultured Coffee Bean.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Black Rose

Postby linberl » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:07 pm

I am really tempted to get one of the Bunn MCU machines. I currently own both a B30 Keurig (with travel bag) and the B31 which I use daily. I am able to get a very decent cup of community coffee private reserve french roast using the ekobrew and pausing the brew 15 seconds to wet the grounds. I'm just wondering if the Bunn is going to be $122 better? Both my keurig machines are workhorses, never have a problem, never descale, etc. I don't want a brewer with a tank so the Bunn sounds good, especially with the ground coffee drawer allowing a bit more beans in the brew. That said, I am nervous as none of my local stores carries it in stock so I have to order it, making returns a pain, and I have read a lot about problems people have had (plastic taste, dripping drawers, etc.). I know you all can't decide for me, but any opinions are appreciated.
Keurig B30, Keurig B31, Bunn MCU, Hario grinder, home roaster air popper
linberl

Postby Black Rose » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:05 am

I received mine yesterday.

I ran 6 14 oz "brews" (water, no coffee) through it to clean it out a bit, but I did not wash any of the drawers.

When I pulse brewed a decaf pod with it last night, there was a bit of a plastic taste in the coffee, but it was not horrible.

My wife used the machine this morning and loves it...very easy to operate. She brewed a pod this morning and also commented on the slight plastic taste.

All of the drawers are currently soaking in hot soapy water.
I plan on running some vinegar through it tonight and then give it another good flush.

My only real complaint is that our 16 oz Contigo travel mugs do not fit under the K-Cup adapter.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Black Rose

Postby linberl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 am

Can you post back about whether the plastic taste went away? Also I would love to know if you find the coffee stronger than whatever maker you were using before. Thanks!
linberl

Postby linberl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:37 pm

I am finding it impossible to locate the Bunn MCU in any stores locally. No one carries it in stock. Even BBB has to order online. Has anyone heard anything about it being discontinued or something? It's odd that no one stocks it in the Bay Area.
linberl

Postby Black Rose » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:32 pm

linberl wrote:Can you post back about whether the plastic taste went away? Also I would love to know if you find the coffee stronger than whatever maker you were using before. Thanks!

Last night I ran a "brew" of 14oz of white vinegar and let it sit for 30 minutes. I followed that with a 12oz "brew" of white vinegar and let that sit for 20 minutes.
I then ran at least 4 14oz tankfuls of water through the machine to flush out the vinegar.
The coffee we had this morning had no plastic taste at all.

I am finding the coffee to be a bit stronger than what was brewed by our Keurig B70 or our SunCafe H701A pod brewer.
I am assuming it's related to the slightly higher temperature at the brew head compared to the other two brewers.

The water in my SS travel mug right after a brew registered 190 F.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Black Rose

Postby VLee » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:01 pm

linberl wrote:I am finding it impossible to locate the Bunn MCU in any stores locally. No one carries it in stock. Even BBB has to order online. Has anyone heard anything about it being discontinued or something? It's odd that no one stocks it in the Bay Area.
Walmart.com claims that my local (MD) store has it in stock for pickup today. Or also free shipping. I bought mine last month at Lowe's. It was marked down to $56 which did make me wonder if it was being discontinued, but I still see it advertised other places for a whole lot more, so maybe Lowe's just decided not to carry them. At the Lowe's site, all of my local stores show that it is unavailable, so someone must be buying them... and they are probably on eBay now!
Bunn My Cafe MCA, Clever Coffee Dripper, Senseo - original recalled & replaced, Original Melita cone
VLee

Postby linberl » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:19 am

Well I went ahead and ordered one. With coupon it was $112 from casa.com. It arrives Monday. Great to hear that a few vinegar washes will resolve the plastic taste if the unit has one - thanks for the update! I think the power system is a bit odd, and I will end up unplugging it after my morning coffee, since I don't usually drink any after that each day. I can always plug it back in for an afternoon cup if I want one. With a 26 hour sleep mode, I don't see how that is even useful. And I don't really need a 6 hour high heat level. I wish they had made it so it cooled down after 2 hours and went to sleep after 4. Not a big deal. Now I need to figure out what to do with my B31, which works just fine. I already have a B30 mini with travel bag for trips. And I'm kind of excited to try some pods...I've been using my ekobrew with my own roasted beans and some CC PR french roast I like. The k cups never really excited me, they were purely for convenience. I'm hoping the pods will bring roasts I like.
linberl

PreviousNext

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines