Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

'Tis the season...for spam!

News from Single Serve Coffee & Forums Announcements of new features

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

'Tis the season...for spam!

Postby jbviau » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Jay reminded me that there tends to be an uptick in spam around the holidays every year, and we're seeing it already. Here are a few things you all can do to help deal with this issue if you'd like:

1. Feel free to flag potential spam for review by clicking on the little upside-down triangle icon with an exclamation point inside it ["Report this post"] at the top right of the relevant post and then selecting the appropriate options.
2. Please try to refrain from responding to spammy posts--the main reason being that there's a good chance the context for your post will be erased once "moderation" has occurred, leading to confusion. Your post might even be inadvertently nuked along with the spam if the spammer created the thread and is subsequently banned.

We'll try to keep on top of things, as always, but please be patient. Once spam has been flagged it's usually taken care of within a day. Thanks!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re: 'Tis the season...for spam!

Postby VydorScope » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm

jbviau wrote:Jay reminded me that there tends to be an uptick in spam around the holidays every year, and we're seeing it already. Here are a few things you all can do to help deal with this issue if you'd like:

1. Feel free to flag potential spam for review by clicking on the little upside-down triangle icon with an exclamation point inside it ["Report this post"] at the top right of the relevant post and then selecting the appropriate options.
2. Please try to refrain from responding to spammy posts--the main reason being that there's a good chance the context for your post will be erased once "moderation" has occurred, leading to confusion. Your post might even be inadvertently nuked along with the spam if the spammer created the thread and is subsequently banned.

We'll try to keep on top of things, as always, but please be patient. Once spam has been flagged it's usually taken care of within a day. Thanks!

Also replying to spam encourages the spammers. They can automatically monitor for that , and your reply is proof people READ the spam which makes the post more valuable to them...soo... DO NOT REPLY. :)
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby jbviau » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:10 pm

^^^ Good point.

Thanks, y'all, for pitching in already! See what I mean about the uptick?
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby EricBNC » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 pm

I have a WOW gold farm open now to investors - PM me at... oh wait, wrong thread. Never mind...
EricBNC

Postby VLee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:55 am

I see what you mean :shock:

Was there this much last year? I don't remember as much, but maybe memory of them just fades over time. Is there any way to review posts by first timers before they are posted? (eg Yahoo groups has that feature). It slows things down a little for legitimate first time users, but in the age of spam I think most people understand when they don't see their posts go up right away.

Oh well, could be worse. I'm on a Facebook group that deals with a degenerative hip disorder in children, many of whom have trouble walking and are in wheelchairs. That one keeps getting spammed by people selling expensive athletic shoes.
Bunn My Cafe MCA, Clever Coffee Dripper, Senseo - original recalled & replaced, Original Melita cone
VLee

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:05 pm

I do think it's worse this year so far. A new membership approval process (as opposed to one based on new posts) might be easier to implement, though I'm not sure Jay's willing to go there just yet...
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby agentfive » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:51 pm

We've updated several of the board settings. Thinking we finally got listed somewhere with our countermeasures - so this should change it up and hopefully give us a little break. THanks for everyone's hard work and patience. This is the worst time of year for me when dealing with almost hourly spam and having to change things up all over the sites.
- Jay Brewer
- Editor, Single Serve Coffee
- Current arsenal: Dolce Gusto, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, GPOD, OPOD, Keurig B40, B50, B60, B70, & Assorted (N)espresso Machines...
agentfive
Site Admin

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks, Jay! This morning I probably deleted 40 posts in addition to flagging and moving others for banning. Since you changed things up, nada. We win (for now)! And the "chit chat" section is no longer a spam ghetto.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby EricBNC » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Do you mean to say those nice new Cyrillic members were spammers?

Dombrekev, how could you!

:lol:
EricBNC

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:43 pm

No offense to anyone from the Ukraine, but I've had my fill of that region for the weekend!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Return to Announcements