Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Pat's Pod Reviews

Everything coffee pods. You can put your coffee pod reviews here and let others know what you think!

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Pat's Pod Reviews

Postby starryeyes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:59 am

*** Javapodz Australian Mountain Top Extra fancy

I found this lonely pod at the bottom of my goodie box. I was surprised that it still tasted half-way decent even after all this time. I'm sure it would have been even better fresh. I drank this coffee black and at about 5-6 oz of water added. This was a bright cup with hints of smoke and cocoa as it cooled. Not bad for an early morning cup. I probably would buy this again if I was so inclined to place another order with this company.
Bunn My Cafe Home, Nespresso Lattissima +, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II, Tassimo T46, Jura Micro Ena 9
Retired: Keurig B66, Nespresso Le Cube, Dolce Gusto Piccolo, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II (donating to my niece)
starryeyes

Postby starryeyes » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:48 pm

**** Reunion Island HolidayBlend RA/Organic

I reviewed this one last year and I can't remember if it was a 12 g. pod or smaller. This pod didn't appear to be 12 g. but it is. This is a very good cup of coffee that makes a good strong 7-8 oz cup of medium dark coffee. I rated it last time a high 3 and this time I'll give it four stars. This is an all-around great coffee similar to a donut shoppe blend, perhaps not as smooth and with a bit of a bite. I noticed this time some earthy overtones in the aftertaste. I drank this cup black but it would also be good with the addition of cream. This pod came courtesy of RI but I would certainly buy a box of this.

I must get cracking on more pod reviews. I'm behind. Too many coffee brewers to choose from.
Bunn My Cafe Home, Nespresso Lattissima +, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II, Tassimo T46, Jura Micro Ena 9
Retired: Keurig B66, Nespresso Le Cube, Dolce Gusto Piccolo, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II (donating to my niece)
starryeyes

Postby jbviau » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:55 pm

starryeyes wrote:I must get cracking on more pod reviews. I'm behind. Too many coffee brewers to choose from.

I hear *that*. Nah, I'm more behind than you. ;)
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby starryeyes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:03 pm

** RI Guatemala Dark EB RA

These pods weigh at 12 g. and even though it says dark it leans more to a medium roast coffee. My first whiff of the pod produced non-descript flavours. Taste-wise it was slightly acidic with a thin mouth feel. The coffee itself was fairly non-descript with slight floral taste, and the coffee developed a slight harshness in the aftertaste. Maybe it's my tastebuds lately due to medication but I couldn't detect any sweetness. I used approx. 6 1/2 oz of water to brew this cup and it was a good thing because it would be too watery otherwise. I drank this black but perhaps I would like it better with the addition of cream.
I wouldn't buy this one again.
starryeyes

Postby bltman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:09 pm

starryeyes wrote:** RI Guatemala Dark EB RA

These pods weigh at 12 g. and even though it says dark it leans more to a medium roast coffee. My first whiff of the pod produced non-descript flavours. Taste-wise it was slightly acidic with a thin mouth feel. The coffee itself was fairly non-descript with slight floral taste, and the coffee developed a slight harshness in the aftertaste. Maybe it's my tastebuds lately due to medication but I couldn't detect any sweetness. I used approx. 6 1/2 oz of water to brew this cup and it was a good thing because it would be too watery otherwise. I drank this black but perhaps I would like it better with the addition of cream.

This is my favourite RI pod. I rank it worlds higher than Island Flores Green Dragon, better than privateer, stronger than the Sumatra Katembe and ranks up their with the bold French Roast as my top RI pod. Goes to show that everyone has a different taste.
bltman

Postby starryeyes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:16 pm

bltman wrote:
starryeyes wrote:** RI Guatemala Dark EB RA

This is my favourite RI pod. I rank it worlds higher than Island Flores Green Dragon, better than privateer, stronger than the Sumatra Katembe and ranks up their with the bold French Roast as my top RI pod. Goes to show that everyone has a different taste.

That is interesting. I like the Privateer better and I thought the Sumatra Katembe stronger and the French Roast miles better but as you say different tastes.
starryeyes

Postby EricBNC » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:10 am

Different tastes for sure but that's what makes the world go round. I liked the Guatemala as much as I liked the Ngoro Ngoro. Reunion Island is doing a good job sourcing specialty quality beans for these limited edition runs.

I just got the Holiday Blend in too, so that one will be interesting to try. I think I have one of last year's HB left to compare it with. :D
EricBNC

Postby starryeyes » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:45 pm

**** Fratello El Salvador Los Pirineos
I've not been buying pod coffee a lot because of all my different choices plus I've been sticking to the Espresso a lot lately. Since the CA was closing I put in one last batch and this was one I received.
This coffee smelled wonderful while brewing. At first I though it was a bit on the winey side but that settled down. It has a nice mouthfeel and a slight hint of orange and milk chocolate as it cooled. I though it would be but it ended up not being too acidic. I think Fratello just made the pods for a few select stores in the US maybe just the Coffee Artisan, so I probably won't be able to get my hands on this again. I drank this cup black.
starryeyes

Postby jbviau » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:08 pm

^^^ Hi, Pat. Yeah, TCA had exclusive rights to Fratello pod distribution since late 2011 IIRC. In other words, Fratello pods have now ceased to exist for all intents and purposes. Looks like that Fratello El Salvador is no longer available even in whole bean through Fratello's site. Just out of curiosity, I priced a test order of a 12-oz. bag of their beans to your zip code, and Fratello's cheapest shipping option (via regular Canada Post) was $14.70. Not sure why it's so high within Canada.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby starryeyes » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Yeah, I was surprised about the shipping but everything is pricey in Canada. I was looking to buy some espresso beans but the free shipping at RI is too hard to pass up. It's a shame really.
starryeyes

Previous

Return to Coffee Pods and Coffee Pod Reviews