Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

New Verismo Single-Serve Machine from Starbucks

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: New Verismo Single-Serve Machine from Starbucks

Postby Jrapps » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks jar! Looking forward to your results once they come in. When you do test them, let us know which CBTL machine you have (just in case different machines DO have different flow directions)
Jrapps

Postby jar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Jrapps wrote:Thanks jar! Looking forward to your results once they come in. When you do test them, let us know which CBTL machine you have (just in case different machines DO have different flow directions)

I have the Contata and also have a low expectation that the Starbucks stuff will ever show up.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby Bekka » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 pm

A while back someone posted a post that they can not brew an espresso in their Contata using the coffee button. I've had it work using my Contata but it is hit and miss; most often a miss. I also now own a Kaldi and can brew an espresso using the coffee button without a problem. Just experimenting; why would I really want to brew a good espresso for a very very long shot LOL. So there does appear to be some differences between the two models; I'm not sure if its pressure, the piercing, or whatever. Most of all I am hoping the Versimo capsules work in the Contata or Kaldi. Can't wait to hear from someone. I checked my BBB and also a few SB coffee stores; nada yet.
Bekka

Postby Davi8r » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:28 pm

We set out to try brewing a Verismo pod in a CBTL Contata. First there was getting the pod into the machine. After a few tries, we decided to open the tool box and use one of these. We were still trying to be gentle.

When that didn't work, we got one of these:

With the pod firmly inserted in the machine, we hit the brew button. Then the world changed.

You can see right where the kitchen used to be ... :)

Actually, it worked fine. I picked up a box of Verismo Cafe Verona at the Triple-B. I decided to follow the Starbucks procedure and peel the tape off the bottom (with CBTL, the foil tears open under 3 bars pressure while brewing). The pod went right in and didn't fall through. I closed the machine and brewed a cup of coffee. It started out really dark, but was pretty light (light caramel) by the end of the cycle. It tastes just like a Starbucks Verona. I'll brew a CBTL coffee in the AM, to see if it starts as dark and ends as light.

The foil tape on the bottom of the Verismo pod is thick (strong), and is held secure by a fairly strong glue-line around the opening on the pod. I don't think 3 bars of pressure will open that tape. I thought about leaving the tape on, but after seeing how strong it is, I'm glad I pulled it off first.

So it's nice to have an extra source for Caffitaly pods. The Starbucks box has the K-Fee logo on it.

Best,
-- Dave
GPOD | KitchenAid Pro Line Mill | Keurig B30 | Technivorm Moccamaster | Aerobie Aeropress | Gene Cafe Roaster | Tassimo T-65 | CBTL Contata | Bunn MC & MCU | Bunn Phase Brew
Legal.com: Legal Resources for Everyone
Dave's T-Disc Coffee Reviews
Davi8r

Postby jbviau » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Epic! Thanks much, Dave.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby EricBNC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 am

I forgot to pull off the foil... :x

EricBNC

Postby Jrapps » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks Dave! That is awesome. So we now know that Starbucks coffee works in a CBTL and CBTL coffee works in the Verismo.

Of course, what I am really interested in is the espresso. I would hope it would be the same but given we are talking about a high pressure to brew, I don't want to assume. If someone manages to brew a Starbucks espresso pod in a CBTL (or the other way around) let us know.
Jrapps

Postby jar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:51 am

Jrapps wrote:Thanks Dave! That is awesome. So we now know that Starbucks coffee works in a CBTL and CBTL coffee works in the Verismo.

Of course, what I am really interested in is the espresso. I would hope it would be the same but given we are talking about a high pressure to brew, I don't want to assume. If someone manages to brew a Starbucks espresso pod in a CBTL (or the other way around) let us know.

What is it that you like in Starbucks espressos?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby TomC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Jrapps wrote:Thanks Dave! That is awesome. So we now know that Starbucks coffee works in a CBTL and CBTL coffee works in the Verismo.

Can't speak for all the models, but I tried the Cafe Verona brewed and the Guatamala-Antigua espresso in the Kaldi this morning.

Good news first. As previously reported, the Cafe Verona produced a rich hot full-bodied cup when held to 5 to 6 ozs. About the best BREWED cup I've had from the Kaldi. Since the capsule contains about 40% less coffee than the corresponding k-cup, I wouldn't push it any further than 6 ozs. though. At a dollar a capsule it would make a pretty expensive habit, but I'll keep a box around for an occasional quick fix at work.

Now the bad news. The ESPRESSO capsules definitely DO NOT WORK in the Kaldi. The only thing you create is a sludgy mess in the cup. The grounds are blown right through the capsule and into the cup. Good thing I like the Meinl espressos, and they're a whole lot less expensive as well.
At Work: Bunn MCU, CBTL Kaldi, Aeroccino 3
At Home: Bunn MCU, Nespresso D-120 Citiz with milk, Francis-Francis X-7, Cuisinart DBM-8 grinder, Perfect Pod Maker, various vintage vac pots, French presses, auto drip pots, gadgets and manual pour-overs
TomC

Postby Jrapps » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm

jar wrote:
What is it that you like in Starbucks espressos?

The simple answer is Choice. I finally decided to buy an espresso machine but I don't really care for the flavors of nespresso (tried a few at WS and the flavor just wasn't for me). They had a Verismo machine there and the espresso it made was fantastic! But I didn't like the fact that it only had 2 types of espresso. I also don't really care that it makes Starbucks coffee as I have a Keurig for "coffee" and the Starbucks coffees are pretty expensive anyway.

As soon as I read there was a chance the Verismo and CBTL capsules might be interchangeable, this seemed like the perfect answer to me. This way I can buy either a Verismo or a CBTL machine (whichever is cheaper/has the better features/looks better in my kitchen, etc) without worrying if I will like the CBTL espressos (which I have not had a chance to try yet). If the CBTL espressos taste good, then even better...more selection. But if they are not to my liking, at least I know i like the Starbucks espresso.
Jrapps

Postby Jrapps » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 pm

TomC wrote:The ESPRESSO capsules definitely DO NOT WORK in the Kaldi. The only thing you create is a sludgy mess in the cup. The grounds are blown right through the capsule and into the cup.

Bummer...i guess that means my top choice for machine now is still the Verismo... especially is the capsules work the other way (CBTL espresso in a Verismo machine)
Jrapps

Postby TomC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Jrapps wrote:Bummer...i guess that means my top choice for machine now is still the Verismo... especially is the capsules work the other way (CBTL espresso in a Verismo machine)

I don't know what the more expensive machine looks like, but the one at BB&B didn't do much for me. The build quality just isn't there. Not what you'd expect from SB's. I was suprised since SB's last foray into home espresso, the Sirina, was made by Saeco and is a pretty decent starter machine. (If you use the non-pressurized portafilter basket and a good espresso grinder.) This one seems to be geared toward competing with CBTL's Briosa in featuress and quality, rather than their Kaldi, but at double the price of the Briosa.
At Work: Bunn MCU, CBTL Kaldi, Aeroccino 3
At Home: Bunn MCU, Nespresso D-120 Citiz with milk, Francis-Francis X-7, Cuisinart DBM-8 grinder, Perfect Pod Maker, various vintage vac pots, French presses, auto drip pots, gadgets and manual pour-overs
TomC

Postby Bekka » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Well I'll stick with my Kaldi and Contata. I really like the espresso choices from CBTL, especially the Carnavale and Intenso. But I do like the fact I can have a few more choices of regular coffee using SBs ; ) A while back I was told by a CBTL rep that they were working on reuseable capsules. I really hope that is so, then the CBTL will really be worth it.
I think :roll:
Bekka

Postby Jrapps » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 pm

For anyone that doesn't live close to a WS, your neighborhood Starbucks store will be giving out free espressos and lattes from the Verismo machine this coming Monday Oct 15th from 4-6pm!

Not all stores sell the Verismo so check here to see if your store is included.

http://e.starbucks.com/a/hBQdxOwAJvkyvB ... P/storecta

As a My Starbucks Rewards™ member,
we'd like to invite you to something really special.

Be among the first to get a sneak peek at our revolutionary new Verismo™ System – and experience how to enjoy Starbucks® lattes, espresso and brewed coffee at home, all from one machine. Not only will you meet the machine, you'll get to enjoy the result – a sweet, creamy, rich Starbucks® Caffè Latte made especially for you.

This special event is on Monday, Oct. 15, 4-6 p.m. at select Starbucks stores.
Find a store hosting the event near you. We'll see you there!
Jrapps

Postby darkwingcraft » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 pm

The starbucks expressi (o i mean verisimo) does make good coffee?
Also i think is a tricky move to fool people into thinking that this is exclusive for starbucks, i t was already pointed out that it is the expressi from aldi, but with starbucks badge and twice the price.
darkwingcraft

PreviousNext

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines