Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

New brand of pod brewer?

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: New brand of pod brewer?

Postby jbviau » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm

luvmycuppa wrote:I ordered the Tru Digital from Kohls.com while it was still on sale. I’m now eagerly awaiting its arrival so I can check it out. I’m guessing it will be a lot like a Senseo, maybe the machine that Senseo should have evolved into. Depending on how that goes I may order the Tru eco from Walmart. It seems like it would be a good size to take along on vacations or camping.

^^^ Please let us know what you think once you've had a chance to try it out! Amazon still has no reviews posted for the TRU Digital, and BBB only shows one. Speaking of reviews, the "Eco" model doesn't seem like a good idea, judging by what Walmart's customers have to say.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby luvmycuppa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I’m expecting the brewer to arrive tomorrow so I will surely give my thoughts once I run some pods through it. I plan on using Kenya pods from Parks. In tracking down information on this I found the main web site here:

http://inventocaturracafe.com/

As part of Select Brands they are marketed as TRU. It appears that this line is available in Europe under the brand “Inventum”. I also read the review here on the Café Invento which looks to come from the same bloodline. I’m guessing the TRU Digital will have the same brewing process as the Invento.

As for the TRU Eco, I ordered that this morning. Its uniqueness and size is what has intrigued me for the last year so I figured I would just pull the trigger. I’ve read the reviews on the Walmart website and I guess I can return it if it really is awful. However, I’ve learned to take bad customer reviews with a grain of salt. So I guess I’ll be coming to my own conclusion in about a week.
Tassimo T20, T45, T65 | BUNN MC Home | BUNN MCP | Grindmaster OPOD | Senseo HD7810 | Flavia SB100 | Flavia Fusion | Dolce Gusto Piccolo | Mr Coffee BVMC-KG1
luvmycuppa

Postby jbviau » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:44 pm

luvmycuppa wrote:...In tracking down information on this I found the main web site here: http://inventocaturracafe.com/

Cool, I hadn't made the connection before between these brewers.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby evelbug » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:22 am

As someone who has a basic knowledge of science, I chuckle a little when I see a heat generating appliance say it uses less electricity because it has a smaller wattage heater. Having an 800W heater just means it will use the same ammount of power over a longer period of time to heat the water than a higher wattage heater.
---
Rik "EVEL Bug" Crosby
Keurig B60 at home, Krups 1010 retired, Aeropress in the trailer, Bodum French Press at work
evelbug

Postby Caine » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Would everyone please line and and tell me, one at a time or in small groups, "You do NOT need another coffeemaker!"
Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting
Caine

Postby VydorScope » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Caine wrote:Would everyone please line and and tell me, one at a time or in small groups, "You do NOT need another coffeemaker!"

Hate to plagiarize your post, so I will paraphrase instead...

"You definitely need another coffeemaker!"

:lol:
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby EricBNC » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:59 am

Caine wrote:Would everyone please line and and tell me, one at a time or in small groups, "You do NOT need another coffeemaker!"

You don't, besides you probably don't have a Tuesday Morning store near you. Even if you did, yours probably isn't selling the Original Cafe Inventum (silver, flat, etc.) for $79 even though my local store is, for $79.

Nope, not there any longer most likely, if it ever was in the first place. But just maybe a box got shoved back behind something, maybe...

:D :D :D
EricBNC

Postby GmanJenks » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:27 pm

EricBNC wrote:

You don't, besides you probably don't have a Tuesday Morning store near you. Even if you did, yours probably isn't selling the Original Cafe Inventum (silver, flat, etc.) for $79 even though my local store is, for $79.

Nope, not there any longer most likely, if it ever was in the first place. But just maybe a box got shoved back behind something, maybe...

:D :D :D

Again, I can't promise about the Tuesday Morning near you but the one in Fargo ND has a couple of these. Saw them there on Saturday...
GmanJenks

Postby VydorScope » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:53 am

My, we are a helpful bunch! :D
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby luvmycuppa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 am

Let us know if you end up getting the Inventum and what you think of it. That machine has always been visually stunning. I'm trying everything in my power to avoid a Tuesday Morning after seeing this post. I have a hard time controlling myself :-)
Tassimo T20, T45, T65 | BUNN MC Home | BUNN MCP | Grindmaster OPOD | Senseo HD7810 | Flavia SB100 | Flavia Fusion | Dolce Gusto Piccolo | Mr Coffee BVMC-KG1
luvmycuppa

Postby luvmycuppa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:17 am

I’ve finally spent enough time with my TRU brewers to give some thoughts on them. The first one I received was the TRU Digital (http://inventocaturracafe.com/products/ ... /tru-cmp-6) that I got from Kohl’s on sale and after a coupon code for $34.00. At that price it’s a pretty solid performer with some cool features. It has a decent sized reservoir and 2 pod holders so you can have one for coffee and one for tea.

The top of the machine has the single cup and double cup button that would be familiar to anyone who has ever had a Senseo. The digital display on the front controls the volume of water pushed through for each of the brew cycle options. So that gives you a volume range of about 2.5oz (1 cup button and 1 bar on the display) to about 12oz (2 cup button with 4 bars on the display).

Once the brew cycle begins the pump pressurizes the system and forces a piston down onto the pod. Once the cycle ends the pressure is released and any excess water in the line is dumped back into the water reservoir and the piston raises back up. All in all a pretty clever system. The end result is a cup of coffee very similar to a Senseo. A very frothy cup that’s good but not strong. I didn’t try it with 2 pods though because for me it counteracts the cost savings of using pods if I have to use 2 with every cup. However, I did do a manual pulse brew that did make for a better cup. I set the volume level to its lowest setting and ran the cycle 3 times. This filled up my Bodum Pavina mug perfectly.

So if you can get a TRU digital on a big sale like I did it seems like a lot of machine for the price. However, when they aren’t on sale they hover around a hundred bucks. That gets you into BUNN territory. You may not get all the flashy bells and whistles with the BUNN but you will get a better cup of coffee.
luvmycuppa

Postby jbviau » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for the review! IIRC the Cuisinart SS-1 used to feature some kind of piston as well. Guess you didn't also pick up a TRU Eco, right?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby luvmycuppa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 am

After I spent some time with the TRU Digital mentioned in my previous post my TRU ECO (http://inventocaturracafe.com/products/ ... eco-te-258) arrived from walmart.com. I had high expectations for the Digital and low expectations for the ECO. However, the end results are the complete opposite. I was concerned by the single hole in the lid instead of a spray head. I was afraid that the coffee would end up tasting like it was brewed using the little Hamilton Beach brewers that they made to be used with Senseo pods. The poor reviews on walmart.com also lowered my expectations. After all, I wanted this for camping and vacations but if it can’t make a good cup of coffee it isn’t worth packing. In the end though, I was blown away with my first (and each subsequent) cup.

The lid of the machine lifts up and the pod holder lifts out. You then poor water into the water level guide which shows levels for a single (4oz) or two (8oz) cups of coffee. Once the water is in you put the pod holder in place then put 1 or 2 pods in. There is a dial on the bottom of the holder that tells it if you are putting 1 or 2 pods in. Then you close the lid, press the brew button and get your cup under it. Since there is no reservoir it won’t be ready for an instant brew. It will take about 2 minutes start to finish, heating the water and filling your cup. As the water heats it builds up lots of steam pressure. Once the brew process starts the steam pressure forces the water through the pod holder and finishes with a long and powerful blast of steam. The whole brew process is very quiet with the exception of the last blast of steam. That kinda sounds like an espresso machine frothing milk but not quite as loud. That blast of steam also leaves a very dry and compressed pod for easy disposal.

As I was waiting for this to arrive I was about 90% sure that I was going to return it because I thought it was going to make weak coffee. In fact, I almost cancelled the order before I even got it. Now I’m 100% sure that I’m going to keep it. The coffee that this makes actually rivals that of machines that are way more expensive. One thing I have to note, as I’m sure most of you know, the quality of the pods you use is just as important as the machine. I think some of the folks giving this machine poor reviews on walmart.com may have been using the only pods available at Walmart. Those would be Senseo (when they were available) and now the Melita soft pods which took their place. Those are all really bad pods. If you get this machine and order some good pods on-line I’m pretty sure you’ll be satisfied. This may not be the only machine for a household that brews back to back cups but its tiny footprint is perfect for camping, vacations/business travel, or for college.
luvmycuppa

Previous

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines