Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Dissassembly + Repair Guide - Keurig B70 Platinum

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Dissassembly + Repair Guide - Keurig B70 Platinum

Postby EmmJayEff » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:35 am

Black Rose,

I have a B70 that I think behaves somewhat like yours. Sometimes at the end of a brewing cycle, the Water Pump will run, but water will not be drawn from the Water Reservoir (as indicated by the water staying at the same level) and it will not be pumped into the Water Heater (as indicated by the lack of sound of water flowing).

Most of the time when this happens, the machine will time out and the Water Pump will be turned off, which screws up everything for the next brewing cycle. Very infrequently, the water suddenly starts to flow as if something "catches" while the Water Pump is running.

I believe that my problem is caused by a combination of two things:

1. The Water Pump is not as "strong" as it was when it was new.
2. The Spring-Loaded Check Valve tends to get a little "sticky" when it is hot, which requires more force for it to open.

I turn off my B70 and un-plug it from the wall after my two cups in the morning. The next day with the machine cold, water is always drawn from the Water Reservoir for the first brewing cycle. If, after my first cup, water is not immediately drawn from the Water Reservoir, I turn off the machine and un-plug it from the wall for at least 15 minutes. This procedure (albeit tedious) has not failed me yet.

As far as your machine goes, I would first suggest that you de-scale it if you have not already done so. This might help rejuvenate your Water Pump and clean out your Spring-Loaded Check Valve.

If the problem still persists, I would then give Keurig a call and get a warranty replacement for your 5-month old machine.

Good luck!
EmmJayEff

Postby Black Rose » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:58 am

Thanks for that info EmmJayEff.

I have our machine configured to shut off 2 hours after the last brew, so it does not stay on all the time.

I haven't descaled the machine yet, and since the filter is due to be replaced this weekend, seems like the perfect time to do that.

I'll give that a try and see what happens.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Retired: Tassimo T45, Keurig B70 Platinum, SunCafe H701A
Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Descaling and a filter change seems to have done the trick.

There is no longer that "lack of water" whirring noise now.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Retired: Tassimo T45, Keurig B70 Platinum, SunCafe H701A
Black Rose

Postby joshjens » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:52 pm

I bought my wife a Kurig B70 Platinum brewer a few years ago for Christmas and she was hooked. My brother-in-law then found a bunch of the B70's online for sale for cheap and bought them. I got one for the office and I only had to buy the drip tray and reservoir off of ebay for about $15 to complete it. It did however have the common Keurig problem of not filling the cup all of the way, but it also seemed to dump a lot of the water back into the reservoir and sometimes it shuts down while trying to brew and pump. I then took the botoom cover off of it last fall and tried cleaning out the screen in the intake valve. That seemed to help some as it was full of debris. I also ran the vinegar through it, but not much came out of it.

Last Friday I finally decided to take it apart and fix it properly. We have a repair bench here and I have always been a tinkerer, so I dove right in. It did take me a while to figure out how to get the top off and I managed that one okay and got it all stripped apart. I then found this post to try and find where to begin to look for problems since there was no obvious signs of damage. I took the pump motor apart since there was a slight sign of water leakage on the top of the transformer housing from the forward valve. The pump is pristine inside and I also checked both valves for operation. They both work properly so I am stuck. Both click on when power is applied and I even took one off and blew through it in both on/off states to make sure it worked okay. Not sure where to go from here. Something is obviously causing it so short fill the cup and recycle the water back to the reservoir. I am thinking that it is a control issue at this point. Not sure though. BTW: the lines are all very clean and so is the reservoir. There are no obvious signs of failure and everything seems to work okay. I even blew slight compressed air through the system to make sure all of the lines where not blocked. Any ideas?
joshjens

Postby joshjens » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:36 pm

Update: I tried breweing a cup of water on the large setting and it ran perfect. It was tough holding all the parts together in place while it brewed and while carefully making sure wires and water didn't touch. Anyhow it worked, but I am not sure what I did. Maybe I just broke something loose or got something unclogged by accident?
joshjens

DISASSEMBY OF THE KEURIG B60

Postby Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Follows are disassembly instructions for the B60. Note that unlike the B70, the top is not removed. Thanks to switch998 for showing the way. Be sure to study the photos before beginning.

1. (optional) Remove top center shroud by removing the two screws under the lip in the front. Open the handle and lift the shroud up and forward to remove. This step may give you a better grip on the machine.

2. Drill three 3/8" access holes to gain access to the three top self-locking latches. The back holes are centered 1 1/16” and 6 1/16" from the back right edge, down 1/2" and 3/8", respectively, from the top of the cover. The front hole is 1 3/8” from the left edge, down 1”.

3. Drill out the bottom plate ground wire rivet with a 1/8" bit. This will be replaced with a small bolt, nut, flat washer and lock washer to facilitate reinstallation and future removals

4. Remove the bottom plate by removing the 5 Phillips head screws. Set these aside as they are a different size than the next screws.

5. Remove the two screws holding the reservoir inlet and LED to the base.

6. Remove the 4 screws holding the base-cover retaining ring to the body. Again, different size screws.

7. Remove the AC cord from the channel and remove the base-retaining ring.

8. Remove the cover by pulling straight down while leveraging the latches with a screwdriver or similar through the holes drilled in step 2. You may find it easiest to start at the right back and work to the left. I used a small thin putty knife between the top and the cover to provide some downward pressure while leveraging the latches. Be careful not to mar the silver finish of the top.

9. If desired, reinstall the base and bottom cover to provide a stable platform while working on the unit as shown in the accompanying pics.

10. If the top is to be removed (only necessary to gain access to the circuitry) remove the two screws at the top near the handle hinge pin and loosen the screw under the LED module on the left side. There is an electrical plug at the back of the LED module as well as a pressure tube connection to the unit. The top will lift up and away from the body when the three screws are removed.

Assembly is simply the reverse, watch you don’t pinch a hose sliding the cover back on and don’t forget to get the bolt, nut and washers for the ground wires. Nobody will notice those three small holes.

Jay

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kuerig B60
Jay Aitchsee

Postby jbviau » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Jay, you lost me at "drill." 8)

Seriously, though, thanks very much for such a thorough walk-through--and in your first post, no less. Welcome!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby rowater » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 am

So I have also become a victim of the leaking solenoid in my 2-year old B70 (bought at a Costco, so B77). Last week I noticed a puddle under the brewer. Luckily I am a Platinum member of Green Mountain Coffee and so my 2-year old unit will be replaced under their warranty. But, in the mean time, I still need coffee.

So, I disassembled the unit, and saw the air pump to have a bit of rust on it. I took the air pump apart, and it was full of moisture. So, I dried it out, put it back together, and it worked - but not terribly strong. I also took the forward solenoid line and crimped it shut. I have gotten about 10 or so consistent cups, so I am happy. Thanks for all the info.

When my new unit arrives, maybe I'll part out this unit - the circuit boards and transformers all seem to be fine.

One question I do have about these units - when it comes to descaling, is that supposed to clean the entire system from calcium "deposits", or just the heating element? I took a flashlight and looked into the heating chamber - not a speck of deposit in there - I have only used Reverse Osmosis water in my unit over the last 2 years. Is the vinegar or whatever cleaner also supposed to clean the pump and/or check valves?
Keurig B70 and a Tassimo
rowater

Postby Jay Aitchsee » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Rowater,
Just a guess, but I would think descaling is meant to clean the entire machine, at least up to the heating chamber. The procedure calls for running the vinegar through the machine until, for certain, it fills the heating chamber to at least the minimum cup size. At that point, there should be vinegar in the selonoid, check valve, pump, resevoir connection and resevoir. And, it's going to sit there 4 hours.

I was surprised, when I opened the B60 machine pictured above how clean it was. No sign of scale anywhere that I could find. But then, I had always used bottled water and had descaled regularly.

This was my first machine and it stopped refilling the heating chamber after I had it a little over a year. I called Keurig and they sent a replacement even though it was out of warranty. Now, the funny thing is that I had finally gotten around to tearing it down after a couple years and, after opening it up and putting it back together, it seems to work perfectly! Go figure.

Now it appears I have standby unit.

Jay
Kuerig B60
Jay Aitchsee

Postby rowater » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:57 pm

I received my replacement B70 from greenmountaincoffee.com today. I received a retail box with a sample coffee pack inside.

As with the older B70, as the unit is plugged in, there is a noise that sounds like the solenoid(s) activating. One note, there seems to be a new logic program. With this unit, when the K-cup arm is lifted open, you can hear a noise that sounds like a solenoid being cycled. Then again, when the arm is closed to brew, another cycle can be heard. I don't know if they are being checked for proper operation or just to cycle them to make sure they are seated properly.

Also, I noticed on the unit that I disassembled that when the largest brew size is used, a small amount of water seems to be drawn into the air-inlet tube (which I guess doubles as an overflow tube - the inner overflow back into the reservoir). There is a check valve on this line which I guess is supposed to prevent water from going into the rear or aft solenoid. Mine has a small amount of water in that line, on the "dry" side. My wife always uses the largest brew setting.

Oddly enough, though, that is not the solenoid that leaks. From what I have learned on this site, a leading theory is that heat from the transformer is what kills the forward solenoid and causes it to leak, right? As I think back, we had a few times when we water would flow through the outer overflow tube,coming from the forward solenoid, at the same time as brewing, leading to a small cup. That should have been the signal that the solenoid was failing...
Keurig B70 and a Tassimo
rowater

Postby EmmJayEff » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:47 am

Jay Aitchsee observed an error in the Theory of Operation document that I had previously posted. He correctly pointed out the only the Fwd Pneumatic Solenoid Valve is closed during the "topping off" phase when a cup larger than the smallest 3.25 oz. one is selected. Thanks Jay!

Armed with this new information, I updated the document that includes a Theory of Operation and a Tube Routing Diagram for the Platinum B70 machine that was purchased in December 2009:

Version with edits from previous version highlighted: http://home.comcast.net/~michael.flynn3 ... 071912.pdf

Clean version: http://home.comcast.net/~michael.flynn3 ... 072112.pdf

Sorry for any confusion that I may have caused.
EmmJayEff

Postby jbviau » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:32 pm

^^^ The first mention of this document was on p. 3, right? I'll edit in the updated info. there later this afternoon. Thanks!
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Follows are some pics from my recently disassembled B60. This B60 was delivered in December of 2011 so it is relatively new. I would guess the B70 has likely been updated as well.

Notice the new solenoids. They appear to be better constructed, but that doesn't mean much.

Also notice in the last picture that the single check valve down stream of the pump has been replaced with two in parallel. EmmJayEff has suspected this check valve to be a source of problems and this looks like an attempted fix.

Too bad these changes didn't improve the reliability. This machine failed after about 6 months. It would not refill after brewing a cup. The pump came on but it wouldn't refill, as if the check valve(s) was stuck closed. Kuerig, true to their fashion, replaced it without a hassle.

Jay

Kuerig B60
Jay Aitchsee

Postby Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Here's a simplified operational diagram I put together with EmmJayEff's help. I hope you find it useful. Note that the physical locations (Fwd and Aft) of V1 and V2 are reversed between the B60 and B70.
Jay
Kuerig B60
Jay Aitchsee

Postby jbviau » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:40 pm

jbviau wrote:I'll edit in the updated info. later this afternoon. Thanks!

Done. Thanks again to you both. I'm tempted to add links under the first post in the thread to the .pdf file and the above diagram. Any objections?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

PreviousNext

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines