Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

JavaJig refillable k-cups

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

JavaJig refillable k-cups

Postby jbviau » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:21 am

Another filtered solution: http://www.javajig.com/

Anyone tried it?

Also on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JavaJig-Make-yo ... d=ViewItem
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re: JavaJig refillable k-cups

Postby jbviau » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 pm

There's an updated video showing how this works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkomUzb-YN8&feature=plcp

Anyone seen the filters in stores? A recent press release mentions 10/1 as the launch date, but maybe these things are already starting to pop up?
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby JEFFH » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:38 am

I used JavaJib for a couple weeks last month and really liked the quick cleanup it provided by pushing out the used grounds and filter with your finger after brewing.
Still need to rinse quickly in the sink to get all the used grounds off the lid and filter holder.
The quality of the cup brewed is on Par with the results I get from ecobrew and solofill.
The cost of the paper filters means you pay a little more per cup for the easier cleanup.
I did have two times however where the filter ruptured during brewing and spewed grounds all over the inside of the Kcup holder and coffee cup making a big clean up required.
The instruction did say some grinds like Dunkin Brands clog the filter and in some cases cause the filter to burst. Thet blame this on the flavoring the use in the coffee? I was using grocery store purchased ground Gevalia Kaffe Espresso Roast non flavored and had this happen twice using the 12 oz bag of ground I put thru the JavaJig.
Melitta is suppose to start selling these this month in stores is what I had heard.
It's worth a try but Because of the ruptured filter I experienced during brewing It's hard to say how it will work with others brands and coffee grinds.
Coffee preference:
Dark Roasts--Splash of milk & Splenda
Med Roasts--Black

Machines:
Bunn my Cafe
Keruig B70
JEFFH

Postby JEFFH » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 am

I received and used the Non-Melita branded packaging of JavaJig and It contained Two Jigs and 50 filters. Boxes of 100 replacement filters were also available for purchase.
Coffee preference:
Dark Roasts--Splash of milk & Splenda
Med Roasts--Black

Machines:
Bunn my Cafe
Keruig B70
JEFFH

Postby jbviau » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks for posting, Jeff. Good to see you back here! Still finding ways to save with your Keurig, I see?! ;)
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Michael S » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:36 am

I finally got one earlier this week and the first time I tried it didn't go so well. But that was mostly my fault. The first thing thing I tried was a packet of mint Swiss Miss. I when I poured the packet in their I wanted to use the whole packet I did get it in their but it was really crammed in. Then when I brewed it really didn't taste good and made a little mess. I then went and just used the brewer to make hot water and stir in the coco with a little better results. I will try again and use coffee next time and try not to cram it in. :)
Michael S

Postby EricBNC » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:43 am

I found the Melitta Java Jig K-Cup adapter for $6 at my local Walmart along with refills - 60 for $3. So far I like them for brew strength (11g and the 6 fl oz setting on the B60) and taste. I get good results in the cup using my own fresh roasted beans, No tears yet 10 cups in. I am using a number 16 setting on my Baratza Preciso conical burr grinder. These are easy to load and easy to clean as well.
EricBNC

Postby Lowndes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Just got the JavaJig by Melitta at Walmart for $5.98. This kit "includes: 2 Reusable Cups & 30 Coffee Filters". The two "reusable cups" are 3 parts each, a green outer "cup", a black inner frame and a black lid or cover. The "Coffee Filters" look exactly like miniature paper basket filters (Mr. Coffee type), pleated skirts, flat bottom. Looks like the same paper, thin, open, white. This refillable cup has less capacity for coffee gounds than the other units because the inner frame and the paper filter pleats take up room in an already small container. This setup is somewhat time consuming to clean, reassemble and load, but the paper element prevents any grounds getting in your coffee cup.

The problem with the paper filters breaking is that very fine grind coffee, like Gevalia, will clog the pores of the paper and won't let the water pass thru. Try using a slightly coarser grind. A coarser grind means there is less total surface area of the coffee grounds for the hot water to react with and you will get a slightly weaker brew, which requires slightly more coffee grounds.
Lowndes

Postby Lowndes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Just did a quick cost comparison of using K-Cups vs. refillable cups:

K-Cups:
Gevalia
12 serv @ $8.50 = 70.8 cents per serv
18 serv @ $12.00 = 66.6 cents per serv

Refillable k-cups:
(using 0.4 oz of coffee per serv)

8 O'Clock
11 oz (27 serv) @ $5.00 = 18.5 cents per serv

Gevalia
12 oz (30 serv) @ $7.00 = 23.3 cents per serv

If you use the Melitta JavaJig, 60 filters @ $3.00 = 5 cents per serv
Lowndes

Postby EricBNC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 pm

It does save some money if you use an apples to apples coffee comparison, which is nice. What I like even better though is the ability to make K-cups with specialty coffee not usually offered in the K-cup format.

:D
EricBNC

Postby Lowndes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Just got the Keurig "My K-Cup" reusable coffee filter at Kroger for $15.99. This is a three piece device, a "filter holder"( to replace the stock K-Cup holder that comes with the machine), a "Filter Basket" for the coffee, and a screw on lid. There seems to be plenty of room in the basket for coffee, even for those that use the 10 oz size and like it strong. The filter screen is a very tight weave, stainless steel wire screen, very strong and durable.

The unit is easy to assemble and load and remove from the machine. Cleanup will require the use of a brush (an old tooth brush is just right) to clean the inside of the filter basket. The brewing process packs the grounds on to the filter screen so tightly that water spray alone won't clean it, and the bottom can't be reached by fingers.
Lowndes

Postby jbviau » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:43 pm

^^^ Let's keep this thread on-topic, please. The My K-Cup has been around for 7 years (see here, for example) and has been discussed many times. My sense is that people like it less than newer options like this one, Ekobrew, etc.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews