Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Tassimo brewer and T-Disc Recall for Canada & USA!

Review Tassimo T Discs here

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Tassimo single-cup brewers Recalled

Postby roadie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

JJW wrote:I just read this news release. Yikes:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Home-brewed coffee lovers, take note: More than a million coffee makers are being recalled after dozens of reports of the brewers spraying hot liquid, coffee grounds or tea leaves onto people.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says there have been 140 reports of problems with the Tassimo single-cup brewers dousing people, including 37 cases involving second-degree burns. In one incident, a 10-year-old girl from Minnesota was hospitalized with second-degree burns to her face and neck.
The coffee maker's "T-disc," the plastic disc that holds the coffee or tea, can burst while brewing, according to the commission. It also announced the recall Thursday of some 4 million packages of Tassimo espresso T-discs.
About 835,000 Tassimo coffee makers are on recall in the United States; another 900,000 are being recalled in Canada. The recall involves brewers made by California-based BSH Home Appliances Corp. that carry the Bosch and Tassimo Professional brand names.
The 4 million packages of Tassimo espresso T-discs, manufactured by Kraft Foods Global Inc., in Illinois, were recalled after 21 reports of problems.
CPSC says the plastic discs of coffee can become clogged, rupture and spray hot liquid. In Canada, a 2-year-old girl suffered second-degree burns to her face.
About 2 million of the recalled disc packages were distributed in the U.S.; the rest were in Canada.
Consumers can contact the company at 866-918-8763 for more information or visit its website at http://www.tassimodirect.com .

Yeah, I just read this too! Poor kid. Luckily according to her mother: “She only has one little scar on her neck. The doctors did a great job,” her mother said.
from ABCNews.com: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/20 ... pitalized/
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
roadie

Re: Tassimo brewer and T-Disc Recall for Canada & USA!

Postby jbviau » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Seriously. About that 10-year-old: "The incident happened more than a year ago." ???
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby jar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:35 pm

jbviau wrote:Seriously. About that 10-year-old: "The incident happened more than a year ago." ???

Yup.

Raises questions all around.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby EricBNC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:38 pm

OK - so is this the beginning of the end for the format or is that too premature to call?
EricBNC

Postby jar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:54 pm

EricBNC wrote:OK - so is this the beginning of the end for the format or is that too premature to call?

I certainly hope not; I have been really surprised about how nice this format is. For someone just moving from the big can drip brewer I'd happily recommend the Tassimo format as an introduction to single serve. The variety and selection is rapidly increasing, Kraft is doing as good a job as GM in presenting variety, the products I've sampled so far are certainly way above what is generally available in the typical supermarket coffee aisle.

I hope that they can come through this and emerge stronger.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby dld » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Got my Bosch brewer in '08 and it fell in the recall window. Going through the process to get the upgraded replacement disc holder was simple enough on the website. Supposed to arrive in about 7 days.

Also had 4 packages containing the recalled espresso T-discs that I'd received in my most recent auto-delivery order. With this many packages, I was instructed to call the customer service number. Was put on hold for about 15 minutes before finally talking to a rep, but once I got through, it only took a few minutes to give them the info they needed and to tell me what happens next. They're going to mail me a postage pre-paid envelope that I'm supposed to use to send back the fronts of the boxes contained the espresso T-discs. Since it sounds like I don't need to send them the actual discs, I'm tempted to "live on the edge" and go ahead and use them (carefully, of course). Based on my current supply, I was about 5 days away from using the faulty discs, so I'll probably wait until I get the replacement disc holder before giving them a shot. Anybody had any issues with using the recalled discs? If so, what percentage of the ones you've tried failed?
dld

Postby jar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:10 pm

dld wrote:Got my Bosch brewer in '08 and it fell in the recall window. Going through the process to get the upgraded replacement disc holder was simple enough on the website. Supposed to arrive in about 7 days.

Also had 4 packages containing the recalled espresso T-discs that I'd received in my most recent auto-delivery order. With this many packages, I was instructed to call the customer service number. Was put on hold for about 15 minutes before finally talking to a rep, but once I got through, it only took a few minutes to give them the info they needed and to tell me what happens next. They're going to mail me a postage pre-paid envelope that I'm supposed to use to send back the fronts of the boxes contained the espresso T-discs. Since it sounds like I don't need to send them the actual discs, I'm tempted to "live on the edge" and go ahead and use them (carefully, of course). Based on my current supply, I was about 5 days away from using the faulty discs, so I'll probably wait until I get the replacement disc holder before giving them a shot. Anybody had any issues with using the recalled discs? If so, what percentage of the ones you've tried failed?

Of the ones I used, none failed or showed any signs of blockage, but I only had two boxes, one partially used, so I'll likely simply toss them and forget about replacement discs.
Last edited by jar on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jar

Postby hotwasabipeas » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:15 pm

I also have never had any of the espresso discs rupture or explode . I did have a problem with a majority of the milk discs for the Gevalia Skinny Cappuccino leaking/rupturing in my T65. Also the Skinny Cappuccino that I have is one of the affected lots too! It's weird that I had a problem with the milk discs but no problems with any of the espresso discs. I did contact Tassimo a few weeks ago (well before this recall was announced) and they gave me a refund for the Skinny Capp. When I heard that there was a recall I thought it would be for the milk discs being faulty, not the espresso discs.
SB Verismo 580, Tassimo T65, Keurig B70 & Vue V700, Nuova Simonelli Oscar: My website: http://www.planetwasabi.com
hotwasabipeas

Tassimo recall

Postby Bobbie54 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Bobbie54

Postby okay » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:20 pm

I think that some of the milk discs for Skinny Cappuccino are faulty but not dangerous. They leak and fail to completely empty - but I don't think they will potentially burn you.

I'm guessing that the recalled espresso discs might be okay to use AFTER the new t-disc holder is installed. If I do this I will quickly leave the room during brewing and want until the yellow light has been lit for a while before opening.
okay

Postby Davi8r » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:58 pm

I've noticed evidence of internal t-disc ruptures - had to clean grounds out of the machine a handful of times (est. 2% failure rate). No external water/steam hazard ever experienced. On today's visit to the TassimoDirect site, I saw no mention of the recall. Guess you have to know where to look ...
GPOD | KitchenAid Pro Line Mill | Keurig B30 | Technivorm Moccamaster | Aerobie Aeropress | Gene Cafe Roaster | Tassimo T-65 | CBTL Contata | Bunn MC & MCU | Bunn Phase Brew
Legal.com: Legal Resources for Everyone
Dave's T-Disc Coffee Reviews
Davi8r

Postby okay » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:13 pm

It's a red box below the fold that says "Safety Recall" and links to http://www.TassimoSafetyRecall.com/
okay

Postby Black Rose » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:18 am

EricBNC wrote:OK - so is this the beginning of the end for the format or is that too premature to call?

Certainly won't get them any new customers for awhile.

Not sure what it's like elsewhere, but selection here in Canada has been pretty poor up until recently. It took the loss of Starbucks to get Kraft to bring in more selections, but the selection here is still poor compared to what's offered in the US.

A couple of months ago we noticed that our local Walmart supercentres moved the Tassimo discs to the bottom shelf and started carrying a decent variety of K-Cups and even Nespresso. Makes me wonder if Walmart is going to phase out T-Disc sales.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Retired: Tassimo T45, Keurig B70 Platinum, SunCafe H701A
Black Rose

Postby okay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:33 pm

I received the new T-disc holder today. How is this supposed to help? It just seems to make you push a button to release the t-disc. I guess if you accidentally open the top while the disc is hot this requires you to take one extra step (push a blue button) before you burn yourself. It's possible that it also holds the disc a little better while it is brewing. At least it's an easy replacement, and they were pretty fast in sending it out.
okay

Postby hotwasabipeas » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:00 pm

I got mine today too and it's an easy-peasy replacement but I found that it gets dirtier underneath than the old holder did. I made a latte with the new holder and when I took out the holder to run a cleansing brew, there was a little puddle of milk underneath (I never had that problem with the original holder). Oh well I may just go back to using the old holder as I have never had a problem with it. I think this new holder design was in response to all the idiots that probably opened up the brewer before it was even done brewing a T-Disc and then they try and blame Tassimo and sue them. There are alot of people out there that just want whatever they can get for free or by lying (these people are also known as Democrats!) :wink:
SB Verismo 580, Tassimo T65, Keurig B70 & Vue V700, Nuova Simonelli Oscar: My website: http://www.planetwasabi.com
hotwasabipeas

PreviousNext

Return to T Discs and T Disc Reviews