Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Articles on the cost of single-serve coffee

Talk about anything coffee related. Let others know your innermost coffee thoughts.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Articles on the cost of single-serve coffee

Postby jbviau » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:37 pm

A pretty even-handed treatment of the issue IMO from the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dinin ... ostly.html
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re: NYT article on the cost of single-serve coffee

Postby BDogD » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 am

Agree, pretty even treatment. One part of the expense of full pot brewing that is often forgotten is the number of cups that go down the drain. That increases the price of each of those cups that is consumed. That also should be considered when viewing the convenience of SSC - it is also more efficient in use of material in the form of coffee grounds. On the other hand, SSC is less efficient in cost of other materials, namely packaging.
CBTL Americano, Bunn MC Home
BDogD

Re: NYT article on the cost of single-serve coffee

Postby GmanJenks » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:45 pm

I read the story a couple of times and yes the information is fairly presented but what's the point? Of course I would that no one not even here in Canada pays $10.79 for 12 Folgers k-cups. Secondly I think a better representation of how those specialty whole bean coffees are being used and compare price per cup not per pound. There is still a premium but it is no where near what the purport it to be. Here's an example of what I am talking about using some of my personal experiences and brew methods.

Filling a 14 - 16oz travel mug to go...

Single Serve
2 x K-Cups Approx 0.75ea $1.50 total
2 x Pods Approx 0.50ea $1.00 total

Whole bean $12.00 for 12 oz

Using a CCD type device 28g of coffee (1oz) with 14oz of water total costs $1.00 Total

Using s Siphon brewer 56g of coffee (2oz) with 32oz of water total cost $1.00 per (2 cups total)

Using whole bean I also have to spend more time, properly store and always be sourcing freshest of coffees or my satisfaction isn't the same. If we look at some of the exclusive whole bean and start paying $18 to $20 for 12oz there is almost no difference even if using over priced K-cups.

I personally think this is a better example and comparing single serve to a 8 or 10 cup drip pot.
GmanJenks

Re: Articles on the cost of single-serve coffee

Postby jbviau » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Good points. I'll chime in later when I'm free, but in the meantime here's more food for thought in the form of a post by James Hoffmann and two responses:

http://www.jimseven.com/2012/02/08/nespresso/

response: http://keatonviolet.tumblr.com/post/172 ... ually-cost
response: http://www.danielofarabica.com/talking- ... nespresso/
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby EricBNC » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Her name is Paint - that is the name of the old horse we keep beating

People buying a Starbucks K (or V) cup are not trying to save money or rationalize vs. auto drip - the perspective shifts forcefully to savings by making the same $2 cup at home times forever - i.e. value...
EricBNC

Postby jbviau » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Allow me to squeeze in another lick (poor horse):

http://sprudge.com/sit-down-strand-up-t ... sules.html

Interesting quote: "...it’s only a matter of time before one or more larger uber-specialty coffee roasters begin offering a single-cup product in their retail shops. It will likely be as environmentally low-impact as possible, it will probably make a cup that tastes much better than what’s currently out there, consumers will get an info-sheet on the featured farms…but it will be a single-cup product. Our prediction? The first uber-specialty coffee company with a direct and unapologetic boutique-style offering for this market stands to absolutely rake."

I made a comment. Is Fratello raking? They probably didn't mean pods...
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby EricBNC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:59 am

I was chatting the other day over on BlacksmithGeek.com - the lively debate of what weight hammer works best for a carriage wheel was interrupted by a newb asking what Mini-van he should buy. I think he was banned and his i.p. address was reported.

The Sprudge crowd can hate single serve but it is like standing on the beach cursing the rising tide...
EricBNC

Postby JEFFH » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:48 am

I find the articles very distorted with reality. Over $50 per pound for folgers! Give me a break, who actually pays that much?
The amount of coffee in each kcup is stated as 5 Grams in one of the above linked articles and 8 Grams in the other.
I recall most Kcups contain 9.5-12 Grams of coffee?
1 pound equals approx 453.6 Grams
I buy the extra Bold so at 11 grams per kcup 1 pound of coffee would equal around 41 Kcups.
I have never paid more than .50 per kcup and most recently .38 cents by taking advantage of online specials,coupons and other promotions.
At the .50 per Kcup I'm only spending $20.61 per pound a far cry from the $50 and up per pound the Articles mention.
Keurig Sells Starbucks Kcups everyday price for .84 each so at 41 Kcups per pound thats still only $34.57 per pound.

You can buy freshly roasted beans and a good grinder and use them in the Ekobrew. I recently ordered beans from TONX at the cost of approx $24 per pound shipped and have been doing just that.
I would rather use my French Press for a better quality cup but the prep and clean up saving is what has me using the ekobrew and Keurig. On weekends I can spend the extra time required to use the french press but during the week I will easily sacrifice a little quality for speed and convenience.
Coffee preference:
Dark Roasts--Splash of milk & Splenda
Med Roasts--Black

Machines:
Bunn my Cafe
Keruig B70
JEFFH

Return to Coffee Talk