Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Universal pods? Make your own like K Cup?

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Universal pods? Make your own like K Cup?

Postby xxnonamexx » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Is there another machine that makes coffee at ideal temp of 200 degrees where you can make your own coffee similar to the universal K-Cup?
xxnonamexx

Re: Universal pods? Make your own like K Cup?

Postby jar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:03 pm

It's pretty easy to roll your own pods in the Bunn machines, MV, MCA or MCP.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby xxnonamexx » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Amazon has some Pod filters not sure if they have a universal one. The best thing about the Keurig is the universal filter to use your own coffee.
xxnonamexx

Postby jbviau » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:43 pm

There's no filter to buy; you just "roll your own," like jar suggested. It's very easy and not messy at all if you do it right.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby VydorScope » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Yep, in fact here is my now famous one handed demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QY_60hrR7s
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby smity » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 pm

The Bunn is a great machine to roll your own pod. I use a 4 cup paper filter. Wet the filter with the faucet, place wet filter in holder and fill with grind, fold top of filter, insert pod tray in machine. After you coffee is made, eject pod.

Advantages easier to toss a pod than clean out a kcup device. There are more available pods and teas for pod machines than K cups. Pods average 20c cheaper than K cups. Bunn machines can be refurbished for a reasonable price when out of warranty. Kerurigs can not be refurbished at the present time, and add to the landfill. :cry: My new keruig b70 is in the landfill after 2.5 years. MY refurbished bought Bunn is still going strong at 2.5 years :D
Bunn my cafe, refurbed Bunn my cafe mc, Behmor 1600 coffee roaster, refurbed baratza virtuoso, french press
smity

Postby ranin02 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 am

I recently used a Melitta single cup filter cone (Ready Set Joe) for the first time in many, many years. And wow -- what an awesome cup of joe I got from it using Illy medium roast -- piping hot and delicious. Couldn't have been easier, just put in a #2 filter, scoop in grounds, then pour hot water over. To clean up, just toss the filter and give the cone a quick rinse (it is also dishwasher safe). I seem to recall from way back that the difficulty I had with it was being able to judge how much hot water to use, but now it has a cutout on the base so you can see the water level in the mug, plus, since I can use a microwave to heat the water, it is easy enough to pre-measure the water.

People are always discussing methods of brewing your own in a keurig or pod brewer, but it seems to me that this would be a great option -- use the machine when you are brewing a k-up or pod, use the cone for ground coffee. It is cheap, easy, pretty much indestructable, and would travel very nicely.
ranin02

Postby dsharp88 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:44 am

ranin02 wrote:I recently used a Melitta single cup filter cone (Ready Set Joe) for the first time in many, many years. And wow -- what an awesome cup of joe I got from it using Illy medium roast -- piping hot and delicious. Couldn't have been easier, just put in a #2 filter, scoop in grounds, then pour hot water over. To clean up, just toss the filter and give the cone a quick rinse (it is also dishwasher safe). I seem to recall from way back that the difficulty I had with it was being able to judge how much hot water to use, but now it has a cutout on the base so you can see the water level in the mug, plus, since I can use a microwave to heat the water, it is easy enough to pre-measure the water.

People are always discussing methods of brewing your own in a keurig or pod brewer, but it seems to me that this would be a great option -- use the machine when you are brewing a k-up or pod, use the cone for ground coffee. It is cheap, easy, pretty much indestructable, and would travel very nicely.

When traveling I take a Melitta filter cone ($1.99) and some #2 cone filters along with some pods. I tear open the pod contents and empty into the filter cone and drip. That way I don't have to worry about gross, pre-ground staleness.
dsharp88

Postby jbviau » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:04 pm

^^^ Yup, this worked well for me during a recent power outage. I just emptied a few pods worth of coffee into my Clever dripper and went for it (using water heated on a gas stove). Who needs electricity?
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby xxnonamexx » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Very interesting. I just figured The Keurig has a universal refillable filter that you can fill with your own coffee press the button and you are off. Timing is very quick. I thought they would have a reusable pod by now. The K cups have some good flavors but since I have tons of coffee grinded and bags of beans I need to use it up first.

Thanks
xxnonamexx

Postby jbviau » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:11 pm

There *is* actually something like what you're describing for Senseo machines, namely the Ecopad. It's more fussy than a homemade pod, though, I find.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines