Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig Elite vs. Mr. Coffee

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig Elite vs. Mr. Coffee

Postby Snowbird25ca » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but have been reading some of the threads and know that you guys know your coffee machines. I'm hoping you may be able to offer some info.

Both the Keurig Elite and the Mr. Coffee Keurig machines are on sale locally. I've read mixed reviews on the Mr. Coffee but am unsure if the Keurig is worth the extra money. We have a "regular" coffee maker that we use for the bulk of our coffee making, so I'm looking to the Keurig for the convenience factor of when I want an extra cup. I plan to use the Solofill cup much of the time and I understand it is compatible with the Mr. Coffee machine - I'm unsure what model # the Keurig Elite is to know if it's compatible with it?

Is one machine better than the other? The sale price on the elite is $94 - it's a one day sale on Dec 23 that has limited quantities. The Mr. Coffee machine is on sale for $59.99 which is half price. (I'm in Canada so I think prices are higher here.)

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight you can offer. I tend to add a little sugar to my coffee, but am not what I would consider a connoisseur by any means.
Snowbird25ca

Re: Keurig Elite vs. Mr. Coffee

Postby jbviau » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:34 pm

Welcome! I'd go with the cheaper Mr. Coffee and save your $$ for the k-cups *unless* you think you'll be annoyed by the need to add water every time you want to brew a cup. The reservoir is the biggest difference between the two--the Elite (B40) has one, while the Mr. Coffee unit doesn't.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby Snowbird25ca » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:47 pm

jbviau wrote:Welcome! I'd go with the cheaper Mr. Coffee and save your $$ for the k-cups *unless* you think you'll be annoyed by the need to add water every time you want to brew a cup. The reservoir is the biggest difference between the two--the Elite (B40) has one, while the Mr. Coffee unit doesn't.

Thanks Josh. Do you think one machine will last better than the other? I'm able to purchase extended coverage on the Elite, but not the Mr. Coffee unit. Would that sway your decision in one way or another? (Thanks for telling me the Elite is the B40.)
Snowbird25ca

Postby jar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:53 pm

Snowbird25ca wrote:
jbviau wrote:Welcome! I'd go with the cheaper Mr. Coffee and save your $$ for the k-cups *unless* you think you'll be annoyed by the need to add water every time you want to brew a cup. The reservoir is the biggest difference between the two--the Elite (B40) has one, while the Mr. Coffee unit doesn't.

Thanks Josh. Do you think one machine will last better than the other? I'm able to purchase extended coverage on the Elite, but not the Mr. Coffee unit. Would that sway your decision in one way or another? (Thanks for telling me the Elite is the B40.)

Is this unit going to be used in a RV setting?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Snowbird25ca wrote:Do you think one machine will last better than the other? I'm able to purchase extended coverage on the Elite, but not the Mr. Coffee unit. Would that sway your decision in one way or another? (Thanks for telling me the Elite is the B40.)

Sure thing. It's hard to say. That Mr. Coffee k-cup brewer hasn't been around too long, though I hear good things about it. The Elite used to have a good record re: reliability, but I've personally seen several fail. If it were me, I'd buy from a vendor with a good return policy just in case; sometimes it's easier to go that route rather than relying on warranty support.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Snowbird25ca » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:57 pm

jar wrote:Is this unit going to be used in a RV setting?

Only at home.
Snowbird25ca

Postby Snowbird25ca » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:59 pm

jbviau wrote:Sure thing. It's hard to say. That Mr. Coffee k-cup brewer hasn't been around too long, though I hear good things about it. The Elite used to have a good record re: reliability, but I've personally seen several fail. If it were me, I'd buy from a vendor with a good return policy just in case; sometimes it's easier to go that route rather than relying on warranty support.

Thanks again. Some of the reviews I read of the Mr. Coffee said that the coffee was weak and it didn't brew the full advertised amount - would you chalk that up more to the type of K-cup used, or possibly a machine limitation?
Snowbird25ca

Postby jbviau » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Oh, it's hard to say, but if there were a major problem with the machine we'd know about it. Note that it was recently "made over" (redesigned-mr-coffee-for-keurig-t9049.html). Is it the older design you've found on sale?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Snowbird25ca » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:17 pm

jbviau wrote:Oh, it's hard to say, but if there were a major problem with the machine we'd know about it. Note that it was recently "made over" (redesigned-mr-coffee-for-keurig-t9049.html). Is it the older design you've found on sale?

Yes, it is the older design. Perhaps that is why it's on sale. The new one looks a lot nicer, makes me wish it was the new one, lol.
Snowbird25ca

Postby mcrow » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:04 pm

It totally depends on what features you value.

If you want to have adjustable serving sizes and not have to add water every time, then the Elite is the way to go. Unless either of those two features are big deals to you, I'd do with the Mr. Coffee for the ~$40 savings.

I don't know that the new design was for functional purposes, it seems to be that same machine with a different shell.

My Mr. Coffee has been working great since I got it and makes Coffee that tastes as good as my Keurig did before it died. I think either machine will make good coffee, it just depends how much the extra features of the Elite make a difference to you. Personally, it doesn't bother me to add water each time or that it only makes an 8 oz. cup.
King of Kups
My Coffee blog.
mcrow

Postby sweaner » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Is it the Keurig B60 or B40? I have had a B60 for years, abuse the hell out of it, and it still keeps going and going.

If space were not an issue, I would get the machine with the reservoir, especially if I were going to use it multiple times per day, or to make back-to-back cups. However, I am impatient.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby Snowbird25ca » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:19 pm

I got the b60 as a Christmas present and so far am loving it. It came with a little note in the reservoir that it is the updated model. Not sure what all they've made for changes, but so far so good. It's not noisy when it brews and even the 9.75oz ( or whatever the exact amount is,) has been good too.

Of course the trial of k cups it came with has disappeared rather fast with me drinking extra coffee to make up for late nights. I'll be trying the solofill cup once we return home.
Snowbird25ca

Postby wew1992 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 am

For about six months, I used a Mr. Coffee Single Cup K-Cup Brewing System with a 24 oz. water reservoir. The machine was black and red. We switched it over about 2 weeks ago to a Keurig Special Edition K60. The Keurig has 3 different brew sizes, brews faster, has a 60 oz. water reservoir, and a lot more. The Keurig seems to be more durable than the Mr. Coffee. Personally, I recommend the Keurig.
wew1992

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines