Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Nespresso, Lavazza, Illy, and CBTL Shootout

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Nespresso, Lavazza, Illy, and CBTL Shootout

Postby jbviau » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:42 am

rvt1000 wrote:...Recently I'd been debating a combo machine or two individual units. I still order coffee from our favorite shop (Zoka) in Seattle but definitely love illy espresso and wouldn't mind sticking with illy for espresso and grinding our Seattle beans for coffee. I also do like the idea of pods for the variety and ease of use. Since we don't drink coffee too much, we find ourselves freezing our beans from Seattle as they take a few weeks to be gone through...

rvt, I take it you already have a grinder? Which one?

Mod note: If the discussion veers too far away from espresso capsule machines, we'll want to reconvene in another thread so as not to derail this one too much. I can always split off a few posts later on, if necessary. Carry on! 8)
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby rvt1000 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:44 am

GmanJenks wrote:
rvt1000 wrote:First off hats off to Jar and everyone else who have made this thread an amazing resource for both learning and enjoyment!

I've spent months trying to figure out what set up i want to go with - starting with a Baratza/Gaggia combo moving down to a more simple and easy to use one step machine.

I went to med school in Seattle so became an espresso aficionado whilst there. I don't drink espresso for the caffeine but rather for the flavor thus really have one 1-2 x/week on the weekend while relaxing mostly. So I consider myself a low quantity user and talked myself out of a true grinder/machine combo.

My wife, however, is a cup of joe a day kind of gal. Recently I'd been debating a combo machine or two individual units. I still order coffee from our favorite shop (Zoka) in Seattle but definitely love illy espresso and wouldn't mind sticking with illy for espresso and grinding our Seattle beans for coffee. I also do like the idea of pods for the variety and ease of use. Since we don't drink coffee too much, we find ourselves freezing our beans from Seattle as they take a few weeks to be gone through.

After spending 1.5 hours reading this thread from start to finish, here's what I'm thinking of as a setup. Jar and everyone else, your input is much appreciated.

1) For me, espresso is my go to drink and i love illy so I think the Francis X8 will be a good choice, especially now that Illy's added a more single origins to the line up.
2) For the wifey, coffee is her drink of choice so finding a good standard coffee brewer which brews at high temps (dad likes his coffee really hot) is important. Any tips on this?
3) Lastly, the Grindmaster OPOD is relatively inexpensive and gives access to all the pod coffee's out there so maybe a good 3rd tool for the kitchen.

Now, I think this is a bit overkill with 2 and 3. Definitely need the espressos so I think 1 is a done deal. Should I start researching standard coffee makers AND an OPOD or is that overkill? I know this question is a bit outside of this forum (since it may not be a single serve answer and involve a coffee pot). ;) Just wanted to get your anecdotal collective experiences. I just don't know if we're ready to give up our Seattle coffee since it's not in pod format nor do we have the time to make our own pods.

What do you guys think? Option 1 and 2 and 3 or option 1 and either 2/3? Or something totally different?

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this amazing thread and to the OP Jar for such an awesome write up and great pictures (BTW, beautiful kiddos you've got there).

I think before anyone can make a good coffee recommendation we probably need to know a little more. You indicate that your wife is a cup a day drinker. Is this all, one cup at a time? Why would you consider a full size brewer for only one cup a day, unless you require having 8 to 12 cups at a time I have a hard time thinking that is the best solution. If you want to continue to use the beans from your local roaster you might consider something like this http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/new-products-the-scoop-single-serve-coffeemaker-49981.html. I don't know if anyone here has tried one yet but I am definitely intrigued.

If you think your wife would like the variety of products available in the pod world then a pod brewer would be a great mate to your X8. The Grindmaster Opod is not currently available many places but there are some other great options from BUNN as well. You could check out the BUNN MC Home unit without a great investment. I would look here http://www.thecoffeeartisan.com/BUNN_My_Cafe_MC_p/bunmc.htm or http://www.shoffee.com/coffee-brewers/pod-brewers/bunn-my-cafe-mc/bunn-my-cafe-mc-pod-brewer.html or http://www.coffeewiz.com/BUNN-My-Cafe-for-Home-Pod-Brewer?F_BrewSolution=2. As I told one of my coworkers looking for a gift for his mother yesterday, this is the one machine I own that gets used everyday.

Good Luck with your search and please let us know what you decide and how you like them

Gary

Hi Gary....thanks for the thoughtful response and links.

My wife likes our Seattle coffee but is definitely willing to try others. My parents live with us and often my dad, wife, and I will all want coffee so it seems easier to just make a pot for everyone.

So I guess I still need to do some deciding on whether or not I'm ready to give up a traditional pot brewer for a single serve machine. i do like the opod idea and having the ability to order smaller quantities in pods of different coffees rather than a whole bag of beans which last us a while.

Either way, I'll probably order an x8 and while it's coming, debate a pot machine or going with an OPOD + the BUNN you mentioned above. I think I'm leaning towards a X8, OPOD, and BUNN.

:)
rvt1000

Postby jbviau » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 am

The Bunn MC Home and the Grindmaster OPOD are single-serve pod brewers. There's no need for both, unless you're a nut (like me, for example). ;)
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby rvt1000 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:49 am

jbviau wrote:
rvt1000 wrote:...Recently I'd been debating a combo machine or two individual units. I still order coffee from our favorite shop (Zoka) in Seattle but definitely love illy espresso and wouldn't mind sticking with illy for espresso and grinding our Seattle beans for coffee. I also do like the idea of pods for the variety and ease of use. Since we don't drink coffee too much, we find ourselves freezing our beans from Seattle as they take a few weeks to be gone through...

rvt, I take it you already have a grinder? Which one?

Mod note: If the discussion veers too far away from espresso capsule machines, we'll want to reconvene in another thread so as not to derail this one too much. I can always split off a few posts later on, if necessary. Carry on! 8)

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread...I'll quit with the non espresso capsule posts now....
I've got an old baratza but I'm looking at picking up a Vario soon for the right price.

Back to the OP's topic...
Sounds like x8 it is then for me! I was intrigued Jar's CBTL initial pick but the fact that months later he veered back to the x8 makes me want to stick with the x8. Too bad we still don't have one truly universal standard like ESE was supposed to be!!

Oh, I see. I thought the BUNN was like the hamilton beach, a scoop brewer. So it's a pod machine as well....that sounds like a decent combo, the x8 and the BUNN. now I'll just have to go scour the other forums for a traditional scoop brewer for those times we do bring home our own beans.

Thanks guys!
rvt1000

Postby jar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:11 pm

rvt1000 wrote:Sounds like x8 it is then for me! I was intrigued Jar's CBTL initial pick but the fact that months later he veered back to the x8 makes me want to stick with the x8. Too bad we still don't have one truly universal standard like ESE was supposed to be!!

Oh, I see. I thought the BUNN was like the hamilton beach, a scoop brewer. So it's a pod machine as well....that sounds like a decent combo, the x8 and the BUNN. now I'll just have to go scour the other forums for a traditional scoop brewer for those times we do bring home our own beans.

Thanks guys!

The CBTL is a great multipurpose machine and makes good brewed coffee, espresso and tea. The selection of capsules available in Europe is amazing and the variety available on this side of the pond is also increasing, but it is not Illy.

Now on the Bunn. It has about the best designed pod holder I have ever found on a single serve machine with the possible exception of the Cuisinart SS-1. It is very easy to roll your own pods using #2 flat bottomed filter paper to brew in any of the Bunn machines.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:54 pm

rvt1000 wrote:(BTW, beautiful kiddos you've got there).

Took me a while to figure out what you were talking about there but then remembered the bunny pictures.

None of my kids there. My sister is a photographer and every year before Easter she does "Bunny Pictures" and those were just some from this year's sessions.

The kids love the bunnies.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby rvt1000 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:33 pm

jar wrote:
rvt1000 wrote:Sounds like x8 it is then for me! I was intrigued Jar's CBTL initial pick but the fact that months later he veered back to the x8 makes me want to stick with the x8. Too bad we still don't have one truly universal standard like ESE was supposed to be!!

Thanks guys!

The CBTL is a great multipurpose machine and makes good brewed coffee, espresso and tea. The selection of capsules available in Europe is amazing and the variety available on this side of the pond is also increasing, but it is not Illy.

Now on the Bunn. It has about the best designed pod holder I have ever found on a single serve machine with the possible exception of the Cuisinart SS-1. It is very easy to roll your own pods using #2 flat bottomed filter paper to brew in any of the Bunn machines.

So after some thinking and researching I have decided to go ahead and order illy machine. Now, why the x8 over the x7/7.1 or the x1? The X7 series are cheaper (can't tell the difference between 7 and 7.1 though) and IMHO look more retro and kinda cool to boot. The x1 of course is more expensive but also has the cool retro look but why so much more money? As of know I'm leaning towards getting the x7 or 7.1 since it's cheaper and the money saved put towards either a pod or scoop brewer.

Any reason why I should bite the bullet for the x8 vs the 7?
rvt1000

Postby jar » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:06 am

rvt1000 wrote:Any reason why I should bite the bullet for the x8 vs the 7?

Look at the cost of the X8 on the recurring shipment plan.
jar

Postby rvt1000 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:13 am

jar wrote:

I just don't drink enough to qualify for one of those plans. I have a shot or double 2x/week maybe 3 at most. I'll end up having more than I'll use. That's why I don't know if the package is worth doing for me.
rvt1000

Postby rvt1000 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 am

jar wrote:

Wait a minute..no way...am I missing some thing here??

From Illy's website:
"Change your selections, or quantity, and delivery schedule as often as you like after your initial shipment. You may also cancel deliveries at any time, after your initial shipment."

The way I interpret that, I can order the x8 for 175 and order my initial order of coffee (minimum 3 cans - I plan on ordering a good variety of 5 anyeays) and then cancel the recurring shipment after I receive everything, thereby saving almost 300 dollars on the machine with no penalty?? Sounds too good to be true....did I read this right?
rvt1000

Postby jbviau » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:13 am

Yup, you read it right!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jar » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:04 am

rvt1000 wrote:
jar wrote:

Wait a minute..no way...am I missing some thing here??

From Illy's website:
"Change your selections, or quantity, and delivery schedule as often as you like after your initial shipment. You may also cancel deliveries at any time, after your initial shipment."

The way I interpret that, I can order the x8 for 175 and order my initial order of coffee (minimum 3 cans - I plan on ordering a good variety of 5 anyeays) and then cancel the recurring shipment after I receive everything, thereby saving almost 300 dollars on the machine with no penalty?? Sounds too good to be true....did I read this right?

Yes, you read it right.

But wait...there's more.

You can also set up just about any schedule you want, monthly, every two months, quarterly, semi annually.

They really try to work with the customer.
jar

Postby rvt1000 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks guys! Done and done. Ordering x8 as we speak! :)
rvt1000

Postby jar » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:47 pm

rvt1000 wrote:Thanks guys! Done and done. Ordering x8 as we speak! :)

Great. Once you get your initial order call the 800 number and reschedule deliveries to suit your needs.
jar

Postby Barefootgirl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:26 pm

My Illy Y1.1 arrived yesterday (christmas gift to self!) and I am thrilled with how easy it was to set up and operate, truly a snoozer operation - yeah!

the espresso on the other hand, a bit underwhelming :(

I have tried the medium roast, both regular and long and the longo - long and neither really produces a shot
that emulates the shots I get at Starbucks.

Can you hazard a guess as to which Illy capsule and method would produce a shot closest to the rich, delicious Starbucks shots?

Thanks, BFG
Barefootgirl

PreviousNext

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines