Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Handpresso Wild - Premium Portable Espresso Maker: Review

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Handpresso Wild - Premium Portable Espresso Maker: Review

Postby NDJollyMon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 pm

The Handpresso Wild: My Review by NDJollyMon

My Handpresso Wild arrived today va FedEx from France. It was double-boxed...and very nicely done, I might add.

Handpresso Wild is a portable, single serve premium espresso maker that can be taken virtually anywhere. All you need is 2 oz. of hot water, an E.S.E. (Easy Serving Espresso) coffee pod, and the Handpresso. It's less than 9 inches long, and weighs in at just over one pound.

It looks similar to a short bicycle pump, and works in much the same way.
My first impression: Very high quality, tough and durable materials. This is not some cheap piece of plastic...this thing is very well built.

There is a hand pump capable of 16 bar, and a removable portafilter where you put the pod and add hot water.

Using it is very simple. You unlock the pump handle, and pump it to 16 bar on the gauge. You then unscrew the portafilter, pour hot water into the reservoir (1.76 fl oz) and place an E.S.E. pod in the holder. Screw the portafilter back on and you are ready to dispense espresso. Just hold it over your cup, and push the start button. It immediately dispenses your espresso shot.

My Results:
These results are currently based on my one day use. I'll update this thread as necessary when I put it through more tests.
Today, the only E.S.E. pods I could find in this town were at Starbucks. Apparently, these pods are quite popular...as all 3 Starbucks in town were sold out. Lucky for me, the truck came in and I was able to get a couple boxes. They only come in regular (Dark) and Decaf (Dark).
I used the regular.

I heated a container of water to around 195 degrees F, and another container of milk to 145-150 F. I then put the milk into my Bodum French Press and frothed it a bit with the plunger. (IE, I don't have any fancy milk frothing gadgets...yet. Taking advice on them now!)

I pumped it to 16 bar, (about 40 pumps) put the water into the Hanpresso, popped in a pod, and flowed espresso. I added some Vanilla syrup, then some milk and froth. I topped it with some cinnamon and handed it to my wife. She said it was GREAT! She told me it tasted just like a Vanilla Latte at Caribou Coffee. (her fav) I then removed the pod, and reloaded the Handpresso for another go. Mine was just as delicious...and my wife was right. It really was good. I made 2 more cups and the results were the same. I tasted the espresso with no additives, and it was very strong. I can't wait to try some other ESE pods in this gadget.

Conclusion:
This thing makes a great Latte! The Handpresso is very well made, and makes a great addition to the SSC collection. I really like the fact it's totally manual, and can be taken anywhere. There is virtually no clean up with this device. Handpresso scores big with this new, innovative way of making espresso drinks....anywhere!

See more about it or order one here:
http://www.handpresso.com

EDIT:
Made a few more drinks, with much success. One thing I might add: Be very careful (as the directions state) to purge all the air from the Handpresso using the Stop button before removing the portafilter. The pressure left can propel the portafilter a long way! :o
Last edited by NDJollyMon on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete (Jolly) -
Forum Moderator
Fresh Roast Plus 8 Coffee Roaster
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
GSI JavaDrip
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby coolied » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:06 am

That's really cool....... it'd be awesome if Nespresso came up with something like that for their capsules...... although that'd take another 8 or 9 pumps, Nespressos are 19 bar........ or use a bigger piston....

EDIT: i'm thinking it would work even better if you actually allowed the water to come to a boil, that way it could be ~200F when you pull the shot, isn't that about the most efficient extraction temp? Somewhere I read that optimal temp is 195F-200F; but I believe that's temp through the coffee, if you're heating the water to 195F it's probably significantly cooler (like down in the 180s) when you pull the shot....... Just a little tip from a newbie espresso snob...... *LOL* Oh yeah, here's the link about the perfect shot that mentions 195-200:

http://www.e-importz.com/Support/the_pe ... o_shot.htm
Keurig B70
Drinker Of Much Coffee!!!!!!!!
coolied

Postby NDJollyMon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:58 am

coolied wrote:
EDIT: i'm thinking it would work even better if you actually allowed the water to come to a boil, that way it could be ~200F when you pull the shot, isn't that about the most efficient extraction temp? Somewhere I read that optimal temp is 195F-200F; but I believe that's temp through the coffee, if you're heating the water to 195F it's probably significantly cooler (like down in the 180s) when you pull the shot....... Just a little tip from a newbie espresso snob...... *LOL* Oh yeah, here's the link about the perfect shot that mentions 195-200:

http://www.e-importz.com/Support/the_pe ... o_shot.htm

Here's what I read:
What is espresso?
Espresso is a coffee drink that is made using pressure in addition to temperature to extract soluble compounds from the coffee bean. Because of the use of pressure, the temperature can be lower than used in other brewing methods. The lower temperature does not extract certain unpleasant compounds that are extracted in other methods. The use of pressure extracts desirable compounds that are left behind in other methods. The result is a strong, thick coffee drink with a naturally occurring froth, called "crema."
Pete (Jolly) -
Forum Moderator
Aeropress
GSI JavaDrip
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby coolied » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:40 am

face it, the perfect espresso shot is one that tastes good :lol: there's so damn much conflicting info out there it's not funny, but it's all based on opinion anyways.......... note the article I linked to recommended lower pressure and higher temperature....... of course it does look like that article is geared to the person aspiring to become a professional barista, as some of the things they are talking about are not things one can do with the average home machine........... such as lowering the bars of pressure..........
Keurig B70
coolied

Postby Alice2 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:29 am

Looks like a VERY fun toy! I also would heat the water to boiling to put it in the thingy. (I guess it wouldn't work for hikes, after all -- what was I thinking, that it heated itself? Yep! :oops: )

It would be a fun thing to take traveling, though. Easier to carry than a Keurig ; )
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby Justbcaws » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:28 am

Way cool. Is that where you ordered it? Does it have an American counterpart? I love the case too.
Justbcaws

Postby Justbcaws » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:03 am

I think he's a closet dark roast drinker now. :D
Justbcaws

Postby NDJollyMon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:42 am

Dark roasts taste great...smothered in milk! :lol:

Alice2, Handpresso says take the hot water along with you in a thermos for hiking.
Pete (Jolly) -
Forum Moderator
Aeropress
GSI JavaDrip
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby Alice2 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Really! I wouldn't think it would be hot enough. Anything's worth trying once, though! : )
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby coolied » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:33 pm

Alice2 wrote:Really! I wouldn't think it would be hot enough. Anything's worth trying once, though! : )

I think it's one of those "anything in a pinch" type situations as far as using thermos water.......... this thing would be even better for camping, where there'd be a fire to boil some water over........
Keurig B70
coolied

Re:

Postby jimmyholand88 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:55 am

Justbcaws wrote:Way cool. Is that where you ordered it? Does it have an American counterpart? I love the case too.

yeah dud you are right i totally agree with you. 8)
jimmyholand88

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines