Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig Elite: Brewing for travel mugs/large servings

The most frequently discussed single serve coffee threads along with other important threads

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig Elite: Brewing for travel mugs/large servings

Postby jlampitt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm certain that this question has been asked and answered before, but I must have the worst luck on finding the thread. I've searched, googled, bing'd, etc. so I hope the forum will take pity on me and not flame this Keurig noob. :wink:

So, what's the scoop with brewing large servings of your favorite beverage? I have a Keurig Elite and have brewed both sizes. The coffee seems to brew up consistently on both sizes. I also opened one of my recent k-cups after a large brew (Caribou Daybreak) and it seemed as though the coffee was still robust enough for at least one more brew?

So, if I want to fill up my trusty REI travel mug (16oz) for the road (or something bigger!) do I have to use more than one k-cup? I've seen the travel mug k-cups but I'm wondering how those are different from the standard k-cups since the one I opened seemed to be packed to the gills with coffee?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the subject.

-Jason
jlampitt

Re: Keurig Elite: Brewing for travel mugs/large servings

Postby jar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:06 pm

jlampitt wrote:I'm certain that this question has been asked and answered before, but I must have the worst luck on finding the thread. I've searched, googled, bing'd, etc. so I hope the forum will take pity on me and not flame this Keurig noob. :wink:

So, what's the scoop with brewing large servings of your favorite beverage? I have a Keurig Elite and have brewed both sizes. The coffee seems to brew up consistently on both sizes. I also opened one of my recent k-cups after a large brew (Caribou Daybreak) and it seemed as though the coffee was still robust enough for at least one more brew?

So, if I want to fill up my trusty REI travel mug (16oz) for the road (or something bigger!) do I have to use more than one k-cup? I've seen the travel mug k-cups but I'm wondering how those are different from the standard k-cups since the one I opened seemed to be packed to the gills with coffee?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the subject.

-Jason

The extra bold and travel mug sized K-cups hold more grounds than the regular ones. Trying to brew a single K-cup twice will very likely only yield an over extracted bitter and weak cuppa.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Welcome, Jason! This thread might help (see the third post in particular): stronger-coffee-t8322.html
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:57 pm

p.s. I have to agree with jar that 16 oz. of good coffee is too much to ask of a single k-cup, even those stuffed with the most coffee.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Renaldow » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:47 am

I've got a 16oz thermos I take to work everyday. I've found the best policy is to brew 2 kcups at 8oz each and call it good. Experiment though, maybe your results will be different than mine, as I prefer strong, dark coffee.
Renaldow

Postby jdevon » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Would have to agree with previous poster. Use two kcups to get a double boost. Otherwise it will be too weak and you wouldn't want that first thing in the morning ;)
jdevon

Postby jbviau » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:24 pm

^^^ Welcome!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Bobbie54 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:50 am

I have an 8 oz Keurig I use for camping and work and I do run two cups through one k-cup fairly often, and find the quality acceptable. It would be better if they were mixed in one 16 oz cup. I am using extra bold or travel cups sizes. I like coffee strong but obviously less strong than some people.

It is not as good if the k-cup sits for awhile, that tends to bring out the tobacco flavors which I don't really like. And I do use a creamer.
Bobbie54

Return to Single Serve Coffee FAQ