Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Get your Joulies!

Talk back from articles posted at Single Serve Coffee

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Get your Joulies!

Postby jbviau » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 am

Ooh, a contest! Enter by making a comment here: http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/036746.php

Think I heard about these yesterday via Bunn's Facebook page. It's a nifty idea, I guess, though I can't say I ever find my coffee too hot!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re: Get your Joulies!

Postby jbviau » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:05 am

Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Alice2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:30 am

If they're made out of silver and can inpregnate your coffee with silver that would be a redeeming quality. I DO think the cup design is cute.

I saw the ad for the "Presso" there and clicked on that. It is $150.00! :?: A stovetop espresso pot would work just fine, in fact they'll even boil on a little oil stove. I guess if you Presso-ing a bunch of shots for people in a row and had a kettle of water it would be a good thing, but what a silly price to pay.

Anybody here getting your Joulies?

Who's going to admit it now . . . 8)
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby Bobbie54 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:23 am

Even if they were made of silver they wouldn't put silver into the coffee, which would be a bad thing, since silver has been shown to have far more risk than benefit.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... verad.html

I suggest you not believe everything the health food industry tries to sell you and do some research to see what is valid and what is not.
Bobbie54

Postby EricBNC » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Silver has antibacterial properties which is useful in a topical cream application. On me? Yes - not sure I want it in me though.

Back to the Joulies - I could see myself being in a hurry trying to get the last sip with this hard bean-shaped lump of stainless steel slamming into what moments earlier used to be my intact front teeth, just sayin' ... :D
EricBNC

Postby tinninches » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Personally, I love the idea. But would only use them in a mug, so that I keep my front tooth :mrgreen:
-Jayson-
tinninches

Postby sweaner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 pm

I too like the idea of using them to keep the coffee hot.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby Bobbie54 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:49 pm

What would make more sense is a mug with something like this compound (that is inside the joulies) built in. Then coffee that is too hot would cool, but the heat absorbed by the inner compound would be released if the coffee cooled past the point at which it starts solidifying. I think you'd want a melting point of the inner substance of about 192. No broken teeth that way, no choking on metal objects, no losing them. And you would want a substance with a high heat of fusion (the energy it takes to cause it to melt) so that a small amount of the substance could absorb a lot of heat. You could have a lot more of said substance if it was part of the mug.
Bobbie54

Postby jbviau » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Just fyi, the inventors have attempted to address the mug issue in the comments section on their Kickstarter page. Here's a quote:

Dave & Dave wrote:Thanks everyone for your support and great comments so far. Having developed and tested Joulies for the past 9 months I'll try to lend a little more insight as to how we arrived at our design. We've received the comment many times asking why we didn't put the PCM in the wall of a mug. Two main reasons: 1) Joulies work best in a well insulated container. If the walls of the mug were filled with the PCM instead of doing their normal insulating duties, the mug would be much much less effective at keeping the coffee warm. Plus if it really was working, you would have to hold onto a 140F mug, which wouldn't be any fun. 2) Surface area to volume ratio. The more "intimate" the mixture of Joulies and Coffee, the faster the mixture will come to equilibrium and the more uniform the temperature will be. If the PCM were in the walls of the mug, we wouldn't be able to achieve the ability to cool your coffee to the perfect temperature 3x as fast. Even some kind of triple walled mug would be quite a bit less effective in this regard. There are a few more reasons that we made Joulies look the way they do, but these are the two main reasons that guided the design. Hope that answers your question! Stay tuned for more updates!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Alice2 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:36 pm

Bobbie54 wrote:Even if they were made of silver they wouldn't put silver into the coffee, which would be a bad thing, since silver has been shown to have far more risk than benefit.

I suggest you not believe everything the health food industry tries to sell you and do some research to see what is valid and what is not.

I have used silver. I did not seriously mean what I said quite the way you take it, but I am serious about silver.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby jar » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 am

Alice2 wrote:
Bobbie54 wrote:Even if they were made of silver they wouldn't put silver into the coffee, which would be a bad thing, since silver has been shown to have far more risk than benefit.

I have used silver. I did not seriously mean what I said quite the way you take it, but I am serious about silver.

I still stir my coffee with a silver spoon, eat with a silver fork but will admit, the blade of the knives is steel.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:38 pm

These magic beans were featured on the Consumerist today: http://consumerist.com/2011/04/magic-me ... hours.html
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Renaldow » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:09 am

These are interesting, but entirely useless if you use cream (see their FAQ) or like your coffee at a temp that's not 140.
Renaldow

Postby jbviau » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:55 am

Renaldow wrote:These are interesting, but entirely useless if you use cream (see their FAQ) or like your coffee at a temp that's not 140.

I wouldn't say *entirely* useless. You could always preheat your cream, like they suggest (the FAQ is toward the bottom in case anyone else is interested). Agreed that 140 might be too low for my taste.

Happy belated birthday, btw!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby VLee » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Seems like an interesting idea in some situations, but a hassle in others. It would be nice to keep my coffee warm longer at work, but I have visions of rinsing my cup out and losing the "beans" down a drain or even just dropping into the communal sink, which is a pretty unappetizing thought!

Sounds like a good idea for outdoor events, like I used to take a thermos of coffee to my outdoor dog shows. But wouldn't these things clanking up against the glass liner be a potentially bad thing?

I'm not clear why they can't make an insulated double walled mug, with this material being the inner layer. But then I tend to nuke my coffee when it gets too cool, so that wouldn't work for me anyhow.
Bunn My Cafe MCA, Clever Coffee Dripper, Senseo - original recalled & replaced, Original Melita cone
VLee

Next

Return to SingleServeCoffee.com Discussions