Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Braun Tassimo Problem

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Braun Tassimo Problem

Postby BulkHedd » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:08 pm

I have had my Braun Tassimo machine for several years now. Just recently it has not been functioning properly. When I make a latte or cappuccino the milk disc doesn't empty all the way out and when I remove it it's still got a lot of water in it, which spills out everywhere. There may be a bit of water left in the espresso disc too but it's obviously not as much.
I have some descaler and I ran 32 oz. through the other night, which didn't help so I ran double that through tonight (64 oz). I let it sit in the machine for 15 minutes then ran a cup out then waited another 15 minutes and repeated until the tank was empty. The problem is still there.
So I don't think it's got to do with scale build up.
Does anyone have any ideas? Or is it time to get a new machine?
BulkHedd

Postby vespacar » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:14 pm

How about getting in there with some Q tips and cleaning out where the laser for the bar reader is and also check to see what condition the piercing unit is in. Also keep running water through the machine won't hurt either.

Cheers,
James
Lavazza Blue LB 2312, Grindmaster OPOD, Nespresso Le Cube,
Breville "The milk Cafe" frother, Cuisinart SS-700C
vespacar

Postby BulkHedd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:29 pm

You mean the glass where the laser emits from?

My piercing unit seems to be OK, how can I tell?
BulkHedd

Re: Braun Tassimo Problem

Postby sdavis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:47 pm

I've had my Braun Tassimo for years. I would have to say that the milk discs have not been emptying for at least a year. That is for Starbucks, Gevalia, Milka (made by Suchard), and just about any brand that requires a milk cartridge to make a beverage...so you can add the makers of the Chai Latte to that list. I cannot believe that for that many manufacturers, and the number of different boxes (and lots) that it has anything to do with a particular lot being the issue.

It's really annoying, especially the first few times. Whenever I brew anything, I immediately pop it open and remove the cartridge. Of course, the first time I had this problem, that hot milk and water mixture went everywhere. I always clean after a hot chocolate or anything with milk, but it's a lot more work when the disc is still half full. Not only am I cleaning the machine, but the counters, the floor, and myself if I'm not careful. The amount that comes out tells me that it is not the piercing unit, because it has no trouble dispensing the rest of the liquid all over the place. I have, at times, peeled it back a bit and dumped it into my cup, but it's hot, so I'm not big on that "solution".

At this point, I may have it serviced, or try a fix I found online. It had to do with the pump motor and lines. In my mind, that makes more sense. That perhaps the motor is not pushing out enough air or at a high enough pressure to empty the disc? Or perhaps the tubing is clogged to some extent? I'd hate to think it was a programming problem, although it always worked fine before, so it would need to be related to the barcode and what it's telling the system. (I haven't received any software or firmware upgrades in the mail, so that's the only way it can communicate).

Of course, I am not handy or Ms. Fix-It by any means (unless it involves copious amounts of superglue). I know I run the risk of trashing the entire thing, but it is the Braun, and I know I have had it for at least five years (likely more). I have an espresso machine I can use, but it's a bit more work...or it used to be.

I will try to get my T-disc stock down to zero before I give it a shot. If I ruin it, then I suppose I'll check all my options. It does disturb me that I have read that some people with the Bosch unit have run into the same issue. Even moreso when I find nothing showing Tassimo weighing in on the issue. People discuss it on their web forum and no one from the company even posts a comment. I find that completely bizarre.

A large applicance retailer (along with a host of other products) has the same sort of web forum, and their tech people post all the time. Sure, Tassimo is smaller, but why have a forum if their tech people don't check it out and post? It could save them a lot of $$ in replacement product, reduce machines sent in for service and perhaps some happier customers. With a background in marketing, it would be a very smart move. Especially around here, where you can practically buy a Keurig at the gas station. Actually, I am going to check their web forum. If they sell the machines, I may receive a solid answer.
sdavis

Postby jbviau » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:56 pm

sdavis wrote:A large applicance retailer (along with a host of other products) has the same sort of web forum, and their tech people post all the time. Sure, Tassimo is smaller, but why have a forum if their tech people don't check it out and post? It could save them a lot of $$ in replacement product, reduce machines sent in for service and perhaps some happier customers. With a background in marketing, it would be a very smart move. Especially around here, where you can practically buy a Keurig at the gas station. Actually, I am going to check their web forum. If they sell the machines, I may receive a solid answer.

Welcome! If you get any answers, would you mind reporting back?
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby EricBNC » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:44 pm

I am sorry to read about your problems with the Braun Tassimo. I think the focus on these units (or any problems they might develop) ended for Tassimo and Braun when the switch was made to Bosch for Tassimo brewing. I own some "orphaned" hardware too so I feel your pain.

That said, the Bosch unit is pretty nice and the prices right now are decent as well. Pod prices are climbing recently in step with the increase in costs for K-Cups. The Tassimo, which never has been the cheapest SSC option, is close right now in cost per cup to the other formats.
EricBNC

Postby youngw26167 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:54 am

I just got a Tassimo Braun 3107 used off of ebay because I wanted to have a tassimo machine at work because I'm waiting for the Tim Hortons T-Disc's to become available in the states (Don't know if you all know this but they have some newer coffee for the machine now). Tim Horton's is like a Dunkin Donuts in Canada. Also Second cup in Canada and Tetley Tea is available there. Tim's should be here at the end of November in the USA. Here's the info about it here: http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/about/t ... ssimo.html
https://www.tassimo.ca/en/beverages/tim-hortons/

Anyhow, back to the Braun 3107, the machine I have works, but there's 2 things I've noticed which lead me to think that its similar to what you all are describing and thought I'd ask if anyone had some helpful hints on how to make this better:

1. I've noticed that the machine gets wet easy on the front and the bottom of the machine, which make me think it has a leak. Is it normal for it to shoot water out the overflow a lot? I have a t65 Bosh machine also and it doesn't do this at all.

2. When using a capuchino milk disc, it gets noticeably wetter around the disc holder than the bosh machine. I usually have to take a towel and some water and clean / clear some of the milk off. The Bosh machine is completely clean after using the same type of disc. If you ask me, if you could fit a bosh holder to put into this machine that's the same as the t65 one that uses the blue button, I think it would help a lot.

3. The water filter is something that i've noticed is rare or difficult to find. I've also found a similar one that looks like it MIGHT fit and be a bit lower priced here from Intenza / saeco (21001120):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005R7 ... 74MKGSHSEB

Has anyone tried a different one that fits the machine? IF not, where can you find one for the similar prices as in Europe?

Anyhow it was worth the $ from ebay for a used machine, at least I can have Tim Hortons eventually without having to use a mykup keurig device and spill coffee beans a lot.
youngw26167

Postby youngw26167 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Figured out the issue. The Braun machine has more leakage around the tdisc piercing device, being its plastic. When using a milk disc for a capuchino, and not taking that out of the machine to clean it, a big amount of caked old milk & coffee formed around the exiting hole area on the machine. Cleaning that out good took care of the issue. Also, the tim hortons discs work just fine in the Braun Machine, just got some from Canada!! The first donut shop blend for the tassimo if you ask me!
youngw26167

Postby jbviau » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:09 am

^^^ Thanks for reporting back!
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby TracyLynne » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:51 pm

I have a brand new Bosch Tassimo, and it doesn't fully empty the water from ANY pod! My coffee pods and milk pods still have water in them... :x Any ideas?
TracyLynne

Postby jar » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:01 pm

TracyLynne wrote:I have a brand new Bosch Tassimo, and it doesn't fully empty the water from ANY pod! My coffee pods and milk pods still have water in them... :x Any ideas?

Hold the open end up when you throw it out.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

^^^ p.s. Welcome, Tracy!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby vespacar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Glad it all worked out. As this is one of the few machines that I don't own, I jealous that you get to taste the "Timmies" cups before me. Since they are right next door to work I drink a lot of it. Hey, you want your subway driver wide awake in the dark tunnel at night.

Cheers,
vespacar
vespacar

Postby GmanJenks » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:11 pm

vespacar wrote:Glad it all worked out. As this is one of the few machines that I don't own, I jealous that you get to taste the "Timmies" cups before me. Since they are right next door to work I drink a lot of it. Hey, you want your subway driver wide awake in the dark tunnel at night.

Cheers,
vespacar

The Tim's T-Disks were a major disappointment. Even my wife that ranks Tim's just slightly below 100% JBM thought that they were terrible.
GmanJenks

Postby vespacar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:24 am

GmanJenks wrote:
vespacar wrote:Glad it all worked out. As this is one of the few machines that I don't own, I jealous that you get to taste the "Timmies" cups before me. Since they are right next door to work I drink a lot of it. Hey, you want your subway driver wide awake in the dark tunnel at night.

Cheers,
vespacar

The Tim's T-Disks were a major disappointment. Even my wife that ranks Tim's just slightly below 100% JBM thought that they were terrible.

I was pissed off that they didn't do Timmies in a k-cup format. Having said that I buy "Timothy's Donut blend" at my local Timothy's coffee shop. They have a special where you get 3 boxes of 24 cups for $39.99. It's a good coffee shop coffee at a price that's reasonable. Even my dad thinks it tastes like timmies. Now if Timothy's could only do pods!

Cheers,
vespacar
vespacar

Next

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines