Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

How old is your Keurig?

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

How old is your Keurig?

Postby Rena450 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:54 pm

I purchased a Keurg B50 back in 11/05. It died 10/07 and I was sent a replacement. Now this machine started to short cup this past summer. I called customer service and they asked if I decale on a regular basis ( which I do, even though the "descale" light never comes on) and used filtered water from a Britta pitcher). Told me to clean out the needles, top and below with a paper cllip. Did that and still was short cupping. Called again, and talked to service tech, who told me to run the K-cup holder assembly thru the dishwasher because sometimes the oil from the coffee grounds clog the needle. Did that and that did not solve the problem either. Called back and this time they sent me a new K-Cup holder assembly. Was working great for about 1 month and now it is either short cupping or sometimes nothing comes out . . . . . . QVC has a great offer on a Keurig Platinum with "extras" (assorted k-cups, water filter, my k-cup, etc) today. I was wondering if I should buy it in case this one "hits the dust". . . . . . . . . .. . .

Has anyone had a Keurg that is over 3 years old with no problems????
Rena450

Re: How old is your Keurig?

Postby jbviau » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Rena450 wrote:Has anyone had a Keurg that is over 3 years old with no problems????

Yup, jar and I both have old-school B40s (with just one brew size) that still work fine. It's not unheard of! Anyway, sorry to hear about the trouble. Do you belong to Costco? If so, I'll bet their deal is slightly better than QVC's.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby jar » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:07 pm

jbviau wrote:
Rena450 wrote:Has anyone had a Keurg that is over 3 years old with no problems????

Yup, jar and I both have old-school B40s (with just one brew size) that still work fine. It's not unheard of! Anyway, sorry to hear about the trouble. Do you belong to Costco? If so, I'll bet their deal is slightly better than QVC's.

I don't have one anymore, I gave mine to a Keurig lover. Just decided there were no K-cups I even wanted. But it's still going strong so far, and during the time I had it the machine ran 24/7/365. Never had a single problem with it.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby JaxFLBear » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:31 am

I have a B100 that's about 7 years old. It was used daily for nearly 4 years until I got my B70. I've had to break it out a couple of times as my B70's have only lasted about a 1.5 years each.
Michael
Keurig B30 Mini (Black)
Keurig B100
Keurig V700
JaxFLBear

Postby agentfive » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:00 pm

We have a cuisinart since launch and a b70 that is pushing 2+ years since ultra quiet. We do have B40 that is over 4+ years old.
- Jay Brewer
- Editor, Single Serve Coffee
- Current arsenal: Dolce Gusto, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, GPOD, OPOD, Keurig B40, B50, B60, B70, & Assorted (N)espresso Machines...
agentfive
Site Admin

Postby WatcherJohn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 pm

My B70 lasted about a year and a half. I would like another for Christmas. If it gives up the ghost before 2 years, I will switch to another make.
Then NEW & Improved Keurig B70 Platinum.
Keurig B70 Platinum (He's Dead Jim.)
and Starbucks Barista Espresso Machine
WatcherJohn

Postby VydorScope » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:16 pm

I also have a B40 that is years old... but my parents-in-law have a B70 that was replaced after like 6 months, and my sis-in-law has one that only last 8months. Both are on their second units. Seems the B70 might be not so great member of the line? I hear lots of similar complaints.
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby ellen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:19 pm

I also have the B70 Plat and I'm trying to remember if I've had it one or two years now. I'm thinking two.... I'm having trouble with mine intermittently - short cup, NO cup, very noisy...happening more and more often. The machine has only once 'asked' to be descaled and I did buy a commercial descaling product for it. I have also, along the way, used white vinegar from time to time to help it along. Even with the commercial product, it doesn't seem as if problems are fixed or noisiness is reduced for more than a cup or two so I suspect it's time to start shopping for a replacement machine. When I first got this one I had planned on only using distilled water in it to avoid mineral build-up and, even though it came with a My K-Cup, my preference was to mainly use the K-cups. However, my dear hubby felt that filtered water from the refrigerator would be fine for the machine (strike one) and then later, decided that the K-cups were too expensive to use all of the time and decreed that we should simply use ground coffee in the My K-cup (strike two). It is my humble (and perhaps overprotective) opinion that these two issues are leading to an early demise of my beloved Keurig. I'd like to buy another and my husband does also love the coffee that the machine makes but I am concerned about running into the same troubles all over again with a new machine. Looking at the mini or the Mr. Coffee/Keurig machine but I suppose I'd better post elsewhere, my questions regarding these machines. I would like to know though, do any of y'all think the type of water and the way we've been using the machine has been the problem? Also, have any of you tried using CLR as a descaler for your Keurig?
ellen

Postby coffeelover » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:09 pm

I have a B60 that's 4 1/2 years old. I use it daily with no problems. It's been descaled one or 2 times.
My mother-in-law has a B50 that's the same age...daily use with no problems...never descaled.
coffeelover

Postby jbviau » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:03 am

ellen wrote:Also, have any of you tried using CLR as a descaler for your Keurig?

Why would you consider taking this risk? Even diluted, the residue couldn't be good for you. I'd stick to white vinegar, which Keurig recommends:

http://www.keurig.com/customer-service/ ... tions.ashx

It's hard to say whether the water and/or My K-cup you've been using are to blame for the problems you described, but I sort of doubt it. Machine failures just happen sometimes. Have you asked Keurig what they can do for you re: getting a replacement?
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby jeffkarsondo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 am

I've had mine about 27 months. No problems at all.
jeffkarsondo

Postby eliw23 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:12 am

I have a B50 that I believe is almost 5 years old. I got it through the Green Mountain promo where they gave the brewer for free if you signed up for their coffee club. It still works perfectly and I've never descaled it (knock on wood). I got myself a Cuisinart SS-700 early last year (batch supposedly after the pump issues) since I liked the various different brew sizes, bigger reservoir and it looked nicer. Unfortunately the pump died on me a couple of months ago. I got a replacement for free since it's still under warranty (3 yrs) but of course I had to pay S&H to send my old one back. Hopefully this one will last.
-Elizabeth
eliw23

Postby Alice2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:22 pm

I joined this forum four years ago (sure seems like it had to be longer that that but I am going by my 'joined' date!)

I have a B40 that I am not using as of a year ago but not because there is anything wrong with it. I used springwater in it and I don't think I ever descaled it more than two times in three years. It seems to me the basic B40 hasn't had any reputation for troubles for people.

I like the B30 much more than the B40 since it has no internal water tank to get gunky, and no external water-holding tank that needs to be cleaned up fairly often. Three minutes to wait for a cup instead of one minute is the big difference which is no big deal to me. I also love the compact size.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby Alice2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:24 pm

oops where is the edit button? I meant to actually say I had my B40 at least four years. I still think it was longer than that.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines