Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

One FAQ thread to rule them all

The most frequently discussed single serve coffee threads along with other important threads

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

One FAQ thread to rule them all

Postby jbviau » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:17 pm

I think jar suggested within the past year or so that we all put our heads together and come up with a nice FAQ/guide/intro for those just beginning to explore single-serve coffee land. The problem is that neither of us can find the original comment/thread! ;) So let's try again. There's always a little membership burst around the holidays, which makes this timely.

As I start to compile some info., how about a little brainstorming?

1. What topics do you see coming up over and over that we could provide some stock answers for?
2. Would a document-style FAQ that you can read through without clicking be more useful than a sort of master thread with lots of links?

I'll throw out the first suggestion as far as topics go that we absolutely need to cover (and keep updated):

Where can I buy k-cup samplers?
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Re: One FAQ thread to rule them all

Postby jbviau » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 pm

<reserved for posterity>
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:24 pm

p.s. This post is relevant to those who haven't chosen a format yet: http://blog.thecoffeeartisan.com/2010/12/why-pods.html

Chad, any chance you could add images? For example, Jim's site does a nice job of depicting pods, k-cups, t-discs, etc.: http://www.coffeewiz.com/Coffee/
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:25 am

Let's try a more targeted approach. Any additions or changes to suggest re: the answer proposed to the question below?

jbviau wrote:I'll throw out the first suggestion as far as topics go that we absolutely need to cover (and keep updated): Where can I buy k-cup samplers?

Many k-cup vendors sell ready-made samplers. You can even find them in retail stores sometimes, e.g. Kohl's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Macy's, etc. However, comparatively fewer vendors allow you to create your own samplers. Typically, the smallest quantity available for mixing and matching is 5 k-cups.* You'll pay a premium for buying in such small quantities, but you'll also avoid getting stuck with entire boxes of varieties you don't like. The following sites offer 5-packs:

Big Cat Coffees - http://www.bigcatcoffees.com/purrfect_pack.cfm
Keurig.com - http://www.keurig.com/shop/k-cups/all-k-cups
Kenoza Coffee - http://www.kenozacoffee.com/samplespage.html
Tweed & Hickory (in Canada) - http://www.tweedandhickory.com/shopsite ... ample.html

*A few sites allow you to buy individual k-cups, much as Kenoza used to do:
umixnmatch - http://www.umixnmatch.com/
Choice Cup - https://www.choicecup.com/
The Coffee Mix - http://www.thecoffeemix.com/
Coffee Outlaw - http://www.coffeeoutlaw.com/

In addition, don't forget to check eBay. From time to time you can find good samplers there, although you'll be at the mercy of the seller in terms of which k-cups are included in them.

Finally, if you're willing to tolerate a certain amount of hassle and shipping expense in order to sample widely, you should consider trading k-cups with other single-serve coffee lovers by posting either here in our k-cup trade thread (k-cup-trades-list-yours-here-t4612.html) or on the message board in a Yahoo group called the K-cup Exchange.

Have fun exploring k-cup land!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby TheCoffeeArtisan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:12 am

jbviau wrote:Chad, any chance you could add images?

Images of pods, T-Discs and K-Cups added.
250+ Coffee and Tea Pods from The Coffee Artisan, Fratello, Cafejo, Reunion Island, Baronet, Solera, Organa, City Steam, Barnie's, JavaOne, Melitta and Wolfgang Puck
Bunn, Grindmaster and Baratza Equipment
The Coffee Artisan
TheCoffeeArtisan

Postby jbviau » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:16 am

Awesome. Thanks! That helps quite a bit, I think.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:22 am

I think a few other things would help. One would be a photo showing symmetric and asymmetric pods to show the difference. A second would be to show pods, kcup, t-disk etc side by side so folk can see relative sizes. It would be good to include a reference item as well, a coin for example or a door key.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

nudder dumb idea.

Postby jar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:23 am

A brewer gallery showing the different brewers side by side. Jay, can you provide that? Chad?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby TheCoffeeArtisan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:25 am

I think that is all useful information, but perhaps best suited for a separate post. I'll see what I can pull together.
250+ Coffee and Tea Pods from The Coffee Artisan, Fratello, Cafejo, Reunion Island, Baronet, Solera, Organa, City Steam, Barnie's, JavaOne, Melitta and Wolfgang Puck
Bunn, Grindmaster and Baratza Equipment
The Coffee Artisan
TheCoffeeArtisan

Postby jbviau » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:28 am

If someone can provide these pics, I'll integrate them into the FAQ. Good ideas.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:21 pm

jbviau wrote:I think jar suggested within the past year or so that we all put our heads together and come up with a nice FAQ/guide/intro for those just beginning to explore single-serve coffee land. The problem is that neither of us can find the original comment/thread! ;)

Found it: looking-for-introductory-writing-on-single-serve-coffee-t7251.html

Would you believe that after having been a member here for 2.5 years I only discovered the advanced search feature today? :oops: It works!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:00 pm

jbviau wrote:
jbviau wrote:I think jar suggested within the past year or so that we all put our heads together and come up with a nice FAQ/guide/intro for those just beginning to explore single-serve coffee land. The problem is that neither of us can find the original comment/thread! ;)

Found it: looking-for-introductory-writing-on-single-serve-coffee-t7251.html

Would you believe that after having been a member here for 2.5 years I only discovered the advanced search feature today? :oops: It works!

Wow, I actually had something worthwhile to say there.
jar

Postby jbviau » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:21 am

Yes! Did you really get grounds on your dog?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby jar » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:27 pm

jbviau wrote:Yes! Did you really get grounds on your dog?

Dogs and me and ...
jar

Postby Shripe » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Without the same kind of sample-picking control beyond categories (Regular, flavored, donut style, etc.), you can get 10-packs (or 12-packs as my donut pack was mistakenly(?) given two extra) with 2 each of 5 different varieties within those categories at CoffeeGIANT. They also have free shipping for perhaps the very near future.
Paul
B40 Elite Owner since 12/25/2010
My Reviews
Shripe

Next

Return to Single Serve Coffee FAQ