Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

What Does "Extra Bold Mean"

General coffee information, history, growing regions, types, caffeine, home roasting, storage, etc.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

What Does "Extra Bold Mean"

Postby coffeewiz » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:08 pm

Many people have confused the term "Extra Bold" for "Dark Roast" and this is not the case. The Term "Extra Bold" has to with the amount of coffee that is in the K-Cups and not the roast profile itself. When you see the term "Extra Bold" is means that there is as much as 25% more coffee in that K-Cup and that in turn would to some people give the coffee a bit more body and to some people a bit more flavor. Always pay attention to the roast profiles first when purchasing your K-Cups. From there determine whether you would want your roast profile "Extra Bold" or not. Do not confuse the term "Extra Bold" with dark roast ... The two have nothing to do with each other. I hope this helps you make a informed decision about the K-cups your about to purchase... I hope this was helpful...

So there you have it .. my TWO CENTS!!! :lol:
Single Cup Coffee Superstore! Over 500+ Coffee Pods, Keurig, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto. and More!! http://www.coffeewiz.com
coffeewiz

Postby MichFan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I think part of the confusion may result from a scale that it used on some K-Cup boxes showing a range from light to medium to dark to extra bold. It implies that extra bold is beyond dark. Tully's did a good job of making it clear that EB does not mean super dark.
MichFan

Postby Alice2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:46 pm

Yes, and most of the extra bolds happen to be dark-roasts too, at this point in time.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby sweaner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:16 pm

Jim, where are all the Extra Bold Decafs??

Scott
sweaner

Postby NDJollyMon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:44 pm

Extra Bold = more coffee
Extra Burnt = dark roast

gotcha.
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby Java » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:21 pm

My husband only uses the extra bold in his traveler mugs.
He says it is the perfect amount of water/ coffee for him but he does like Mocha Java and French Roast in a regular coffee mug. No fancy flavors for him!

I can't get used to the extra bold, not even in a traveler mug :?

I'll stick with my flavors and teas :D
Hamilton Beach Brew Station Pro (retired)
Keurig Platinum
Flavored K Cups /Splash of milk
Tea- Green/Flavored/Iced or Hot
Java

Postby saintstryfe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:33 am

Thank you for this clarification. I was just logging on here to get this answer.
saintstryfe

Postby coffeelover75 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:10 am

My favorite extra bold decaf are the Newman's Own K cups, I thought it meant a dark roast too, but it's more of a medium roast just with some nice rich flavor, rather than a true dark roast.
I love K Cup Coffee.
coffeelover75

Return to Coffee 101