I purchased a Keurig B77 for the office yesterday, brought it in, set it up, primed it, and brewed a few cups of coffee. They were good, and all seemed to be fine.
This morning, I made a couple of cups, and they had a funny "off" taste to them. I am having a hard time describing the taste, but "metallic" keeps coming to mind, although that's probably not the best way to describe it. I noticed that the smell of the Keurig (that hot electronics smell) reminds me of the taste I was experiencing in my coffee this morning, if that makes sense.
So, I flushed the system by refilling the reservoir and running about 6 large brews of water through the machine until the water stored inside was fresh. I then made a cup of coffee, and it tasted great.
- The water I put into the reservoir is filtered from the tap.
- The reservoir is filtered with a Keurig filter.
- The machine stays on from 8am to 6pm, so it was on yesterday for several hours after the last cup was made.
- The machine stays off overnight as there is no one here to use the machine, so it sits off from 6pm to 8am.
- I used the same flavor K-Cups (Kona) each time.
So, has anyone experienced this? Is this something that is a result of the machine sitting with water in it overnight, or perhaps because hot water is sitting in the machine for a period of time? Is it maybe the charcoal filter?
I hope this is not normal, and maybe I just needed to flush the system several times before first using it. That hot electronics smell coming from the machine (I assume more specifically from the area of the hot water tank inside the machine) has me a bit worried that this is just normal.