Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Odd Taste With Keurig B77 This Morning

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Odd Taste With Keurig B77 This Morning

Postby ifonline » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:07 pm

I purchased a Keurig B77 for the office yesterday, brought it in, set it up, primed it, and brewed a few cups of coffee. They were good, and all seemed to be fine.

This morning, I made a couple of cups, and they had a funny "off" taste to them. I am having a hard time describing the taste, but "metallic" keeps coming to mind, although that's probably not the best way to describe it. I noticed that the smell of the Keurig (that hot electronics smell) reminds me of the taste I was experiencing in my coffee this morning, if that makes sense.

So, I flushed the system by refilling the reservoir and running about 6 large brews of water through the machine until the water stored inside was fresh. I then made a cup of coffee, and it tasted great.

Some background:

- The water I put into the reservoir is filtered from the tap.
- The reservoir is filtered with a Keurig filter.
- The machine stays on from 8am to 6pm, so it was on yesterday for several hours after the last cup was made.
- The machine stays off overnight as there is no one here to use the machine, so it sits off from 6pm to 8am.
- I used the same flavor K-Cups (Kona) each time.

So, has anyone experienced this? Is this something that is a result of the machine sitting with water in it overnight, or perhaps because hot water is sitting in the machine for a period of time? Is it maybe the charcoal filter?

I hope this is not normal, and maybe I just needed to flush the system several times before first using it. That hot electronics smell coming from the machine (I assume more specifically from the area of the hot water tank inside the machine) has me a bit worried that this is just normal.
Ian

Check out my music on iTunes or Amazon.
ifonline

Postby coffeewiz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:21 pm

If I were you I would take the machine back to where you purchased it or call Keurig directly and they will send you a new one. Why take the chance...

Jim
Single Cup Coffee Superstore! Over 500+ Coffee Pods, Keurig, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto. and More!! http://www.coffeewiz.com
coffeewiz

Postby ifonline » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:33 pm

I may call Keurig in the morning about it... I have a brand new one at home, and I'm going to keep an eye (or maybe a tastebud) out for this issue in the morning to see if I also experience it at home.

I would rather not have to deal with exchanging it, but if I have to, I will. Also, since the odd taste issue this morning, all of the coffee made since flushing the water out has been great, including one made just a bit ago. Maybe just a fluke?
Ian

ifonline

Postby ifonline » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:48 pm

I have continued to search both here and via Google, and I may have stumbled upon the issue. "Metallic" was not the best way to describe the smell/taste, and "plastic" is. Searching for "plastic taste" turns up many results, including threads here.

So, a plastic taste/smell seems to be a real issue with new machines, and the suggestions are to flush the system out several times, possibly with vinegar.

Let's see what happens in the morning, and if need be, I'll flush with vinegar. I may still call Keurig just to see what they have to say.
Ian

ifonline

Postby coffeejam » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:08 pm

I have the B77 and experienced the same plastic taste. However, mine went away after a couple of days and has not returned in almost 2 months. During those first couple of days, I did flush the system with many tanks of water, which seems to have done the trick of getting rid of the plastic taste.
coffeejam

Postby ifonline » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Knock on wood, the taste was not present this morning in the office machine, and my home unit hasn't had this happen at all.

Thanks for the replies.
Ian

ifonline

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines