Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Nespresso: Serving size question

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Nespresso: Serving size question

Postby Arabica » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Hey folks, I am new here so be easy on me ;)

I bought a Nespresso Le Cube a few months ago, and have been using daily. I recently went to New York and hit the Nespresso Boutique (and was amazed at ways they can squeeze $$ out of you) and picked up some literature on the Grand Crus. I noticed that in this literature, the ‘Tasting Suggestions’ are as follows:
Espresso Cup (2 oz/60 ml) and Lungo Cup (5 oz/140 ml.) I then cross checked across the rest of Nespresso literature and it indeed states 160 ml and 150 ml as the suggested size. Here is where it gets weird. The factory settings for my LeCube’s small cup and large cup settings are as follows: 40ml and 110 ml. Both are 20 ml off of what the Nespresso recommends. Since both are made by Nespresso, why the difference?
I checked the Concept C290’s manual here (http://www.nespresso.com/precom/manuals ... ne1_EN.pdf) and could not find a reference to a default cup size. Nor is there one in the C100’s manual (http://www.nespresso.com/precom/manuals ... ne1_EN.pdf) The Romeo also lacks as specific cup size as default (http://www.nespresso.com/precom/manuals ... ne1_EN.pdf)

So my question to the group here is: What *IS* the correct size for the small and large cups? What are your machine’s set to in terms of small and large pour volumes? I know it’s a matter of taste in the end, but I find that difference in what Nespresso has in their own documentation odd to say the least.
Arabica

Postby plunderisley » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:37 am

Its hard to say. the right amount is about 25-30 seconds, right before it turns a light color. Thats the way to get the most flavor out of the roast (pod). I have it set at the default. You could always manually change the amount (I know I can on mine) to suit your taste, but I found the default the right amount with any pod without tinkering with the different pods and their amount.
plunderisley

Re: Nespresso: Serving size question

Postby jtapscot » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:27 am

Arabica wrote: ‘Tasting Suggestions’ are as follows:
Espresso Cup (2 oz/60 ml) and Lungo Cup (5 oz/140 ml.)

My C100 puts out about that amout by default. It's kind of easy to screw up the defult serving sizes by holding the brew button to long. I had to restore the brew size according to the instructions once.
I don't know for sure if this is applicable to your Le Cube, but I hope it helps.
James............................
Currently own:
Bunn My Cafe (Enjoyed at Home)
Senseo Pod Brewer (Relegated to Work)
Nespresso C100 (For when I need a Shot)
French Press (For Hurricanes and Outages)
Aerocino (Easiest frothed milk ever)
jtapscot

Postby Arabica » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:30 am

Anyone else have an opinion here? I am a bit confused.
Arabica

Postby goheels » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi Arabica,

I believe you are correct in these volumes Espresso Cup (2 oz/60 ml) and Lungo Cup (5 oz/140 ml.)

My Nespresso is manual, so I just use a measuring cup to get these volumes.
Lynn
________
Grindmaster OPOD
Nespresso C90
Keurig B-70 Platinum
goheels

Postby Arabica » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:49 am

Thanks for the sanity check.
Arabica

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines